Candidate for TRT?

my dr added a testosterone test to my regular physical exam. here are the results

• TESTOSTERONE,TOTAL 370 ng/dL 250-1100
  •             Total Testosterone was measured by LCMSMS. The LCMSMS method

•             correlates well with our extraction/RIA method.             

• TESTOSTERONE, % FREE 1.52 % 1.5-2.2
  • TESTOSTERONE,FREE 56.1 pg/mL 35.0-155.0

i read this as being low. he thinks it’s low but not low enough to start trt. thoughts?

YOu need to have a compelte thyroid and adrenal workout up research my past post and you will see how indept testing is necessary to get down to what is really wrong. One also needs to have complete medical history when this occured, indept interview.

I had the same thing as you did low normal T but my issue was not testosterone but rather adrenals and thyroid went out first due to excessive stress placed on my body. If the dr’s would have listened to me in the first place I would have not lost 7 years of my life fighting the system.

This is the advnatage I have over any one else thats because I have lived your peoples pain and almost even died from medical blunders. SO I want to educate people and help people so they do not fall victim or to avoid common pit falls before they happen.

Every thing that some one has been through I have been through it all with you and then some on top of that. So my feelings go out to you and now I have the opportunity to give back …

Free T is not an accurate test, but need bio T there are no thyroid parameters, or estrodial sensitive was never checked.

I do not recomend TRT unless every thing else has been properly evaluated which 90% of endos and dr’s do not properly do and just see low level and stick you on TRT. Alot of factors will dictate if patients if TRT is proper for them or not.

OP: So you are aging and that is age related decline or you are younger and something is causing this that needs to be detected and dealt with? Treat the cause or the symptom?

Your post really need more context.

oh sorry. you are quite right. context. i’m 46. been noticing a steady decline in energy, concentration…
body composition has started to shift despite a near fascist-like control over my diet and exercise
regime… so i asked the dr to check my testosterone levels and the results were posted above.

[quote]cocteau wrote:
my dr added a testosterone test to my regular physical exam. here are the results

• TESTOSTERONE,TOTAL 370 ng/dL 250-1100
  •             Total Testosterone was measured by LCMSMS. The LCMSMS method

•             correlates well with our extraction/RIA method.             

• TESTOSTERONE, % FREE 1.52 % 1.5-2.2
  • TESTOSTERONE,FREE 56.1 pg/mL 35.0-155.0

i read this as being low. he thinks it’s low but not low enough to start trt. thoughts?[/quote]

I have almost the same levels as you (my free testosterone is exactly the same as yours) and am experiencing bad symptoms of hypogonadism. I don’t believe it’s a coincidence. However, we are in a gray area in regards to getting help. Most doctor’s won’t do a thing. But don’t feel like it’s hopeless, because there are a few very reputable doctors that will treat people like us.

One of the more notable ones is Abraham Mortengaler, the author of “Testosterone for Life.” He is a doctor at Harvard who believes that patients with low/low normal free or total testosterone levels along with symptoms deserve a trial of testosterone. Furthermore, he believes that levels should be raised into the upper end of the range to experience the real benefits of trt. I suggest getting a copy of the book (you can find places to download it off the internet) and bringing it to a doctor along with your lab results. It will be hard for them to contradict a Harvard professor.

Also, make sure you show them where he talks about letting his patients self inject and allowing them to go to the top end of the normal range if needed. Good luck!!