T Nation

Cancer and Creatine Studies?

now I know creatine doesn’t cause cancer, and cant believe a female friend I brought too a healthfood store to by a protein shake went on a rant about cancer and creatine, I was pretty embarrassed cause these guys were pretty jacked. Luckily my friends ignorance didn’t ruin a good conversation we had about the olympia and dennis wolfe’s upcoming visit to Aus

anyways my question is does anyone have any links to studies I can show her that prove that creatine doesn’t cause cancer? and the websites she read were misinformed?

Wouldn’t that be the same as finding links linking food to causing cancer, ie - it’s like innocent until proven guilty.

Rather, get her to prove to you it does cause cancer or tell her to shut the fuck up.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Derave, W. et al. (2006). Oral creatine supplementation in humans does not elevate urinary excretion of the carcinogen N-nitrososarcosine. Nutrition, 22(3), 332-333.

Last sentence of the study: “A possible link between creatine supplementation and cancer has been suggested but is not supported by scientific or anecdotal evidence.”

With that said, creatine kinase B has been shown to be up-regulated in cancer cells; however, that does not mean that creatine causes cancer.

Creatine occurs naturally in meat. Does meat cause cancer?

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
Creatine occurs naturally in meat. Does meat cause cancer?[/quote]

Actually, yes it does, especially if you grill it.

EDIT: It’s not definitive, but there’s a strong link.

[quote]whereami wrote:
DoubleDuce wrote:

EDIT: It’s not definitive, but there’s a strong link.[/quote]

GTFU.

A strong link between grilling meat and cancer?

[quote]whereami wrote:
DoubleDuce wrote:

EDIT: It’s not definitive, but there’s a strong link.[/quote]

In that case, I’m a lost cause.

[quote]Mick28 wrote:
Yea, there is. Carcinogens are caused from the grilling. There is also a strong link between consuming a great amount of read meat and cancer.
[/quote]

True story, although its technically charred grilled meat. There are strong links especially for prostate cancer. I don’t worry about it too much since I like my steaks rare :slight_smile:

[quote]dfreezy wrote:
Mick28 wrote:
Yea, there is. Carcinogens are caused from the grilling. There is also a strong link between consuming a great amount of read meat and cancer.

True story, although its technically charred grilled meat. There are strong links especially for prostate cancer. I don’t worry about it too much since I like my steaks rare :)[/quote]

For every one study linking meat and cancer, there are 50 showing the preventive effects of fruits, vegetables and a laundry list of vitamins, minerals and herbs.

[quote]Mick28 wrote:
whereami wrote:
dfreezy wrote:
Mick28 wrote:

True story, although its technically charred grilled meat. There are strong links especially for prostate cancer. I don’t worry about it too much since I like my steaks rare :slight_smile:

For every one study linking meat and cancer, there are 50 showing the preventive effects of fruits, vegetables and a laundry list of vitamins, minerals and herbs.

Are you saying that it’s okay to eat charred meat if you eat enough veggies?
[/quote]

That comment wasn’t necessarily directed at you, I just quoted your post because it was the most recent one. However, I would recommend that you cut off the burnt parts after grilling/before eating.

To answer your question, I do believe there is minimal reason to be concerned about the carcinogenicity of meat in general if you are consuming sufficient quantities of fruits, vegetables and antioxidant supplements. I don’t know what exact quantity would define sufficient, but with regard to vegetables at least more is definitely better.

Oops, sorry - posted under my other ID.

Funny you mention this, I was diagnosed with Hodgkin’s in 2002, after 6 months of chemotherapy I started training again. I took all my supplements to my Oncologist, one was creatine and my doctor stated there have been studies that show good results from cancer patients taking creatine.

Crazy that a cancer doctor would state that and if it was harmful I’m sure he’d not recommend it. Although he has never seen anyone like me (his words, not mine). The office is normally full of older smaller people that don’t/didn’t train.

Later

[quote]whereami wrote:
dfreezy wrote:
Mick28 wrote:

For every one study linking meat and cancer, there are 50 showing the preventive effects of fruits, vegetables and a laundry list of vitamins, minerals and herbs.[/quote]

here’s a crazy fucking idea

take your huge chunk of beef/pork/chicken whatever…

AND SURROUND IT WITH VEGGIES