Canadian's Right to Bear Arms

http://www.rkba.ca/
"Our right to keep and bear arms in our own or the country’s defense comes from exactly the same place as the American one – English Common Law, the English Bill of Rights 1689, the writings of Sir William Blackstone in his Commentaries on English Law, and others.

All these laws (and indeed the full body of English Law), became part of Canadian law on our Confederation in 1867 with the affirmation of the British North America (BNA) Act"

Thoughts??

My experience with Canada is they tend to frown on the whole “gun” thing. At least hand guns, I don’t know about hunting rifles.

We can get any hunting rifle. We can’t get any “military-looking” rifle. The government went through a picture-book of guns and banned the ones that they thought looked scary. Handguns are totally locked down as well. I could have gotten the handgun license, but it required a year-long background check.

And once you get one, you have to call the police to even transport it to the gun range.

That is what I am saying.
While we have these new laws, they cannot nullify the English Bill of Rights.
As such, don’t people have a right to purchase AND carry weapons on them (by law)?

[quote]legendaryblaze wrote:
That is what I am saying.
While we have these new laws, they cannot nullify the English Bill of Rights.
As such, don’t people have a right to purchase AND carry weapons on them (by law)?[/quote]

You do realize that although Canada is a common law country, the English Bill of Rights was “nullified” when Canada separated from England. You can use the document to make an historical argument about a legal issue (gun rights) but it is binding in no way nor can any argument be rooted solely in it.

I’d rather have a rifle anyway…

Personally I do not know much about Canada’s history, but do they still pay tribute or something to the crown? Their coinage has the bust of the Queen on there. What ties do Canada and Britian have?

For personal defense a 12 gauge shot gun is what I prefer. For conclement then it would be a handgun.

We can have Rifles, shotguns and “Grandfathered” weapons.

There is only a figurative relation between Canada and the UK. Our head of state by law is the Queen appointed Governor General: however they are always appointed on recommendation from the elected Prime Minister.

The Governor General has full veto power, has the ability to dissolve Parliament, call an election and acts as Executive power to sign every bill into law.

Despite having these powers, the GG never defies the Government (and hasn’t since the 1920’s), and in the last few decades has been a Canadian citizen, rather than a British lord, so I suspect the position will never be abused, and if it were that would be the end of formal ties with Britain.

The British monarch is on our currency, along with a Confederate “founding father,” to borrow an American term.

^^ Got a little off topic lol: Back to Gun control in Canada.

Gun control in Canada requires more of a screening process when purchasing firearms. You require a special permit to have a handgun, it can NOT be concealed, and -all- fully automatic weapons are banned.

Obviously the political culture’s are remarkably different between the two countries, but Gun Control here is not a contentious issue at all, and outside of rural communities, you’d be hard pressed to find someone who cared. For example, there’s are 1:77 firearm ratio between Canada and the US (wikiFact) and a 1:9 population ratio. Our murder rate is 1.9/100,000 compared to 6.1/100,000 in the US. The two are obviously related, but obviously there are many other variables at play there.

How much protein is there in an average pair of beararms?

Polar is first, those motherfuckers are for real, followed closely by Grizzly, and Black is a distant third. Fucking delicious.

Thanks for the information above on the relationship of Canada and Britian.

Second, could the high murder rate be atributed to Entitlement philosophy? How many entitlements do Canadians receive? Is it a birthright to collect Welfare, Social Security, and Medicaid/Medicare. I know you all have a public healthcare plan, but is there a welfare system that anyone can collect on and never have to pay back or get off of?

[quote]dmaddox wrote:
I know you all have a public healthcare plan, but is there a welfare system that anyone can collect on and never have to pay back or get off of?[/quote]

Supposedly it’s a limited-time kind of thing, but I always find it amazing how hard the press/government tries to hide social programs from the tax-paying public. It’s the same in the US too. Only the scum truly know what’s available to them.

[quote]dmaddox wrote:

Second, could the high murder rate be atributed to Entitlement philosophy?[/quote]

I’d love to answer, but I’m not entirely sure what your asking in regards to Gun control.

[quote]dmaddox wrote:

Second, could the high murder rate be atributed to Entitlement philosophy? How many entitlements do Canadians receive? Is it a birthright to collect Welfare, Social Security, and Medicaid/Medicare. I know you all have a public healthcare plan, but is there a welfare system that anyone can collect on and never have to pay back or get off of?[/quote]

dude. you’ve overdosed on limbaugh. examine your motives.

Americans’ and Canadians’ right to bear arms may derive from the same place. But in America there is a valid legal hook, and a potent one at that. The right to bear arms is guaranteed by the Second Amendment of the Constitution (at least as the Court has interpreted it). The English Bill of Rights is not binding and is not Canadian law now.

[quote]thefederalist wrote:

[quote]dmaddox wrote:

Second, could the high murder rate be atributed to Entitlement philosophy? How many entitlements do Canadians receive? Is it a birthright to collect Welfare, Social Security, and Medicaid/Medicare. I know you all have a public healthcare plan, but is there a welfare system that anyone can collect on and never have to pay back or get off of?[/quote]

dude. you’ve overdosed on limbaugh. examine your motives. [/quote]

First, I really have no clue that is why I was asking. I really do not know much about Canada. I have been to Toronto once with some friends from High School. Seems like the poor here in the US look at entitlements as a right. My tax dollars pay for their welfare, so it is not a far leap for the poor to think that since they are working to pay my welfare that I should have their stuff also. This is where robbery, and murder comes into play. Maybe it is just that Canadians are more civilized than Americans. I really have not clue. I am not a psychologist so I do not under stand the human brain. Just trying to hypothosize like all the scientists.

Second, I work during the day so I can not listen to Limbaugh or Hannity. I have also cut off TV in my house a month ago so Fox is not an issue either.

[quote]dmaddox wrote:
First, I really have no clue that is why I was asking. I really do not know much about Canada. I have been to Toronto once with some friends from High School. Seems like the poor here in the US look at entitlements as a right. My tax dollars pay for their welfare, so it is not a far leap for the poor to think that since they are working to pay my welfare that I should have their stuff also. This is where robbery, and murder comes into play. Maybe it is just that Canadians are more civilized than Americans. I really have not clue. I am not a psychologist so I do not under stand the human brain. Just trying to hypothosize like all the scientists.

Second, I work during the day so I can not listen to Limbaugh or Hannity. I have also cut off TV in my house a month ago so Fox is not an issue either.[/quote]

I think it might actually work the opposite: that increased social programs decrease homicide rate, as homicide is almost (not entirely) exclusive to the poor. Combining decreased access to firearms, and increased access to education and employment assistance (resume courses, practice interviews, state sponsored job fares etc…) may reduce crime rates.

Took me awhile to find an all-American study on this: there a quite a few more Western European/Canadian ones.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6V75-46MJPYF-1&_user=10&_coverDate=12%2F31%2F2002&_rdoc=1&_fmt=high&_orig=search&_sort=d&_docanchor=&view=c&_searchStrId=1333005606&_rerunOrigin=google&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=2e1a2c627c1110e9413033c14af3ed5a

I have access to the complete study, just PM me if your really interested.