T Nation

Canadian Leadership

Am I the only Canadian who is really bloody happy that we have a conservative government planning to ease back on gun control while expanding our military???

It’s about time Canada got out of it’s spiral towards left wing EUdom. And it looks like we will be extending our time in Afghanistan and possibley taking NATO lead in Afghanistan. For once I’m a little proud of what our leader aims to do.

It makes me happy as an American to see the changes in Canada.

I used to travel Canada extensively and think it is a great country full of great people.

The crap I have seen coming out of Canada the last few years has made me wonder what the hell happened.

This is a welcome change.

I read an article in Macleans about how the Canadian snipers were shit on because someone joked about cutting a finger off a dead terrorist and somebody put a sign on a dead terrorist that said FUCK TERRORISM.

From an American point of view it looks like PC has run amok in the Great White North and common sense has taken a back seat.

Thank God te pendulum is swinging back because we need Canada to be the great ally it has tradionally been.

Harper getting elected was an enormous step backwards for Canada. But I am glad to see Martin go. Honestly there isn’t a single party that I can see running things properly. They are all fucked up in their own ways.

Harper was a HUGE step forward in both Canadian politics and in the direction Canada is going to go. He is a no-nonsense, consensu building individual. He could care less about party politics as long as the country is being run properly and fairly and the money is being watched wisely.

Watch Canada take off both internally and internationally as Harper stresses individual responsibility and slowly removes us from the nanny-state attitude that was being developed.

[quote]Big U wrote:
Harper was a HUGE step forward in both Canadian politics and in the direction Canada is going to go. He is a no-nonsense, consensu building individual. He could care less about party politics as long as the country is being run properly and fairly and the money is being watched wisely.

Watch Canada take off both internally and internationally as Harper stresses individual responsibility and slowly removes us from the nanny-state attitude that was being developed.[/quote]

The fact that there is a minority goverment also insures that he has to take consideration of the points of view of the other parties, since the balance is rather fragile. The number of seats at the last election was fascinating.

BQ = 51
CON = 124
LIB = 103
NDP = 29
Other (independent) = 1

Suppose that BQ + LIB groups for Yes (154) and CON + NDP + IND groups for No on an issue (154). Stalemate!

[quote]The Dmachine wrote:
Am I the only Canadian who is really bloody happy that we have a conservative government planning to ease back on gun control while expanding our military???

It’s about time Canada got out of it’s spiral towards left wing EUdom. And it looks like we will be extending our time in Afghanistan and possibley taking NATO lead in Afghanistan. For once I’m a little proud of what our leader aims to do.[/quote]

Hey, with more people like you, perhaps Canada has a chance after all…

[quote]The Dmachine wrote:
Am I the only Canadian who is really bloody happy that we have a conservative government planning to ease back on gun control while expanding our military???

It’s about time Canada got out of it’s spiral towards left wing EUdom. And it looks like we will be extending our time in Afghanistan and possibley taking NATO lead in Afghanistan. For once I’m a little proud of what our leader aims to do.[/quote]

Completely agree

I just wish that they had one a majority.

[quote]Big U wrote:
He could care less about party politics as long as the country is being run properly and fairly and the money is being watched wisely.
[/quote]

Then why did they cancel almost all of the programs put in place by the previous gov’t?

I don’t really care who is in power as long as they do what I want them to do.

Right now, the conservitves seem to be doing an alright job on most things except the enviroment. It seems like its the favourite issue to ignore.

I don’t agree with canceling the gun registry. Why, after almost a billion dolars, are they going to throw most of it away. They could do a bit more and make it work fine.

One thing that they did do that I really like is the accountability act. I [u]hate[/u] lobying and corruption and things like that.

Yes, and Bush is the “great uniter”. Let’s not change our entire opinion of Canada as a country because of who the current minority government is.

What a bunch of idiots… yes, that’s you Zap. We’re the same people with basically the same opinions… nothing changes that quickly except the people put in charge.

[quote]vroom wrote:
He is a no-nonsense, consensu building individual.

Yes, and Bush is the “great uniter”. Let’s not change our entire opinion of Canada as a country because of who the current minority government is.

What a bunch of idiots… yes, that’s you Zap. We’re the same people with basically the same opinions… nothing changes that quickly except the people put in charge.[/quote]

The leftist vocal minority has been kicked to the curb.

The conservatives in Canada are finding their voice again. It is a refreshing change.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
vroom wrote:
He is a no-nonsense, consensu building individual.

Yes, and Bush is the “great uniter”. Let’s not change our entire opinion of Canada as a country because of who the current minority government is.

What a bunch of idiots… yes, that’s you Zap. We’re the same people with basically the same opinions… nothing changes that quickly except the people put in charge.

The leftist vocal minority has been kicked to the curb.

The conservatives in Canada are finding their voice again. It is a refreshing change.[/quote]

Not quite. It is still a minority gov’t and they desperately want to get reelected, so they’ll do what they can to appease the other parties and the Canadian people, which are much more left than most Americans.

[quote]Nomancer wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
vroom wrote:
He is a no-nonsense, consensu building individual.

Yes, and Bush is the “great uniter”. Let’s not change our entire opinion of Canada as a country because of who the current minority government is.

What a bunch of idiots… yes, that’s you Zap. We’re the same people with basically the same opinions… nothing changes that quickly except the people put in charge.

The leftist vocal minority has been kicked to the curb.

The conservatives in Canada are finding their voice again. It is a refreshing change.

Not quite. It is still a minority gov’t and they desperately want to get reelected, so they’ll do what they can to appease the other parties and the Canadian people, which are much more left than most Americans.[/quote]

Thanks for the clarification.

[quote]Nomancer wrote:
Right now, the conservitves seem to be doing an alright job on most things except the enviroment. It seems like its the favourite issue to ignore.

I don’t agree with canceling the gun registry. Why, after almost a billion dolars, are they going to throw most of it away. They could do a bit more and make it work fine.

One thing that they did do that I really like is the accountability act. I [u]hate[/u] lobying and corruption and things like that.[/quote]

Why do we need a gun registry, gun related violence has never been a problem (most murders are slashings). On top of that gun related violence hasn’t gone down since the gun registry.

Environment is another issue, how can any country be MORE environmentally friendly than Canada??? Global Warming is a complete joke, there is no evidence that we are causing out environment to warm. Our environment is actually on a cooling trend since it peaked 10,000 (arox)years ago. Allso if we look back as close as 1200 AD our environment was much hotter when it had a mini warming trend. During the 1940 - 1970’s our environment cooled significantly. What we are seeing now could easily be explained as natural trends.

The environmentalists have a hidden agenda, they don’t know they do, but they do, they are very biased. They naturally are against business, most support high corporate taxes and socialist ideals.

[quote]Nomancer wrote:
Big U wrote:

I don’t agree with canceling the gun registry. Why, after almost a billion dolars, are they going to throw most of it away. They could do a bit more and make it work fine.
[/quote]

I see this differently than you do. Why after almost a billion dollars is the gun registry full of errors, and incomplete?

(there is an estimated 650,000 “ghost guns” currently in the registry, these are guns that haven’t been re-registered and the government has no idea where they went. The total size of the registry is 1,968,163 guns, and they don’t know what has happened to one-third of them.)

How long do you stick with a program that is not working? Do you do this with your diet and gym workouts? Plan, execute, EVALUATE. If something doesn’t work, you move on.

More on topic:

The conservatives aren’t perfect. But I for one am glad that they are upping our role in Afghanistan, and I hope for significant improvements in our military. If you want to improve the world, you must be prepared to lead. If the UN isn’t going to go into places like Darfur, then maybe Canada should be prepared to provide an example. This is nation rebuilding and it is providing hope and freedom to a region of the world that has had decades of strife - and I am completely for it.

I give Harper a B-plus, room for improvement but overall very good. I much prefer action to words, and he’s shown promise in this area.

[quote]The Dmachine wrote:

Why do we need a gun registry, gun related violence has never been a problem (most murders are slashings). On top of that gun related violence hasn’t gone down since the gun registry.
[/quote]

How can gun related violence go down when they don’t even have full statistics on it? Anyways, the gun registry isn’t going to directly prevent crime, its more to help solve crimes and such.
How can you say that gun related violence has never been a problem? If there is violence, and it is gun related, it IS a problem (because all violence is a problem).
Finally, why would we get rid of it; it probably would be more beneficial to spend a bit more, and make it work. The cost of maintenance is probably pretty low.

If you don’t believe in global warming…
You don’t have to try to explain away the changing climate to me.

However, just because we might not be causing the climate change doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try to do everything in our power to make the outcome more favourable to us. Who wants extinct polar bears?

[quote]
The environmentalists have a hidden agenda, they don’t know they do, but they do, they are very biased. They naturally are against business, most support high corporate taxes and socialist ideals. [/quote]

How can you have a hidden agenda without knowing what your hidden agenda is? That’s a damn good hidden agenda, even hidden from the people who are trying to push it…
Yes, some environmentalists are biased, but some are not. By definition, yea, they care about the environment, so they are biased. But you don’t have to call yourself an environmentalist to care about the environment.

Most support high corporate taxes?
Yes, I believe in taking money away from the richest people in the country and more evenly distributing it through the people. I don’t like big disparity.

Socialist ideals? Yea, all environmentalists are pinkos… [/sarcasm]

[quote]towner24 wrote:
Nomancer wrote:

I don’t agree with canceling the gun registry. Why, after almost a billion dolars, are they going to throw most of it away. They could do a bit more and make it work fine.

I see this differently than you do. Why after almost a billion dollars is the gun registry full of errors, and incomplete?

(there is an estimated 650,000 “ghost guns” currently in the registry, these are guns that haven’t been re-registered and the government has no idea where they went. The total size of the registry is 1,968,163 guns, and they don’t know what has happened to one-third of them.)

How long do you stick with a program that is not working? Do you do this with your diet and gym workouts? Plan, execute, EVALUATE. If something doesn’t work, you move on.

[/quote]

Because they can make it work.

[quote]
More on topic:

The conservatives aren’t perfect.
[/quote] But better than the previous gov’t.

Me too, but I don’t want them to stay for an extended length of time. I want to support the country, but I hope they get self sufficient quickly.

Yea, increase the military, but do it smartly, and don’t spend a lot of money, IMHO. Admittedly, I haven’t put much effort into researching it though. However, with the type of warfare today, I don’t believe that it should cost a significant amount of money. Why should you need submarines, aircraft carriers and expensive military technology to fight in urban environments, or in caves, etc.

Yes, I am naive in this subject, please educate me.

I’m not satisfied with the conservatives but they cant do much with a minority, Im fiscally conservative and socially liberal so no party really fits my bill, what I do like is scrapping the useless gun registry, smaller government is always better. More corporate and income tax cuts would be nice, kyoto is bullshit the U.S is doing much better than canada at reducing emissions and they didnt sign, unfortunately people associate red tape with action.

[quote]Nomancer wrote:
Because they can make it work.
[/quote]

That is 100% true. Given enough time, and money you can make almost anything work. That’s the hitch, we don’t have an indefinate amount of money to work with.

For 1 billion dollars, I would have much rather have seen them hire more police officers. Boots on the ground provide a tangible benefit. The gun registry is full of errors, and you’d be hard pressed to put a tangible benefit to it. How many lives have been saved? How many crimes have been solved? Lots, some, none??

Saying something works is all well and good, but for a billion bucks I expect something tangible. There has to be a cost/benefit analysis here somewhere, and if you can’t prove its working then I say spend the money somewhere else.

You’ve outlined a pretty big (and difficult IMO) discussion. First thing we need to do is define exactly what we want to do with our military, then we can equip and train them to do that job.

I completely agree that we shouldn’t waste money (because we don’t have all that much). Having a specific military mandate is important in preventing this miss-spending.

[quote]Nomancer wrote:

Most support high corporate taxes?
Yes, I believe in taking money away from the richest people in the country and more evenly distributing it through the people. I don’t like big disparity.

[/quote]

Corporations though are made up mostly of shareholders, and the average share holder is not exceptionally rich.
High corporate taxes drives away business. I live in China and in order to attract foreign buisness and corporations they have allmost a zero percet tax on foreign companies. It’s a damn good plan because the economy is growing by 10% a year.

I agree with taxing the rich, but to a degree. Allso what do you consider rich? In Canada I was making less than $40,000 a year and I was paying close to 30% income tax, then I had to pay 7%GST on allmost everything I bought (no PST because I’m from Alberta) and tonnes of other hidden taxes on things like gasoline, alcohol…

In the end at $40,000 a year I was paying probably close to $15,000 to the government. Sorry but the government did not provide me with $15,000 worth of services every year.
My stepfather, the poor bugger, who is a doctor and makes over $350,000 a year ends up paying close to half his income in taxes.
WHY???

Because we have a socialist system that supports Indians before it funds military, hands out welfare like it’s Canada, gives funding to every left wing feminist, immigrant, environmental group it can.

When students in China ask me what is the best country to immigrate to, I usually say “honestly, probably America because it has better weather and lower taxes.”

We can’t change Canada’s weather but we can change the ridiculous tax system by cutting things like the gun registry and cutting back on social programs.