Canadian Election

How are you voting? Who do you think will win?

I am voting Conservative obviously.

I am too scared to make any predictions. Things are looking good at the moment but we Conservatives know not to get our hopes up.

NDP, since i dont trust this batch of liberals.

Gotta vote for the Conservatives…hell I would even vote for the bloc if it ment getting rid of the librels. All we can do is hope the rest of Canada finally figures out, what us in the west have always known.

Conservative all the way, but they’re all corrupt IMO … might as well vote for a NEW kind of corruption :wink:

[quote]Nigglit wrote:
Conservative all the way, but they’re all corrupt IMO … might as well vote for a NEW kind of corruption :wink: [/quote]

If they do get in I think you will be pleasantly surprised then.

Well, I’ll throw it out there, I guess…

Ralph Goodale is from my neck of the woods, and I do like the guy. He’ll most likely be getting my vote again. I wouldn’t mind if he was running the show, but I don’t think that will ever happen.

-FC

[quote]JPBear wrote:
Nigglit wrote:
Conservative all the way, but they’re all corrupt IMO … might as well vote for a NEW kind of corruption :wink:

If they do get in I think you will be pleasantly surprised then. [/quote]

Ontario holds the key for Harper. Liberals have essentially kept power by virtual sweeping Ontario in 93,97 and 2000. In 2004 the liberals want from getting 100 seats to about 75 and promptly lost their majority. If they lose more ground it’s lights out for the liberals.

Not to read to much into this but I’m noticing a lot more Conservative signs around my neck of the woods- a riding which has gone liberal the last 4 federal elections.

I don’t get a vote, but here’s to hoping the Conservatives manage to pull it off.

Here’s the last info I saw:

http://volokh.com/archives/archive_2006_01_08-2006_01_14.shtml#1136791082

[David Kopel, January 9, 2006 at 2:18am]

Canadian Election Poll:

According to Saturday data from CPAC-SES Nightly Tracking Poll ( Nanos Research ), the current Canadian national election race is "neck and neck. The Conservatives draw 34% and the governing Liberals have 32%. The further-left New Democratic Party attracts 17%, while the Bloc Quebecois is at 11%. The Greens are at 6%, and undecided is 17%.

The CPAC-SES polling shows strong regional differences. In “Atlantic Canada”, the Liberals are very far ahead. The Bloq Quebecois has an enormous lead in Quebec.

“Western Canada” also has a clear favorite, the Conservatives, who lead by 16%.

The batteground is Ontario, where the Liberals and Conservaties each have 37%, while the NDP pulls 21%.

In national elections, Ontario has often delivered the key votes to put the Liberals over the top. Yet in provincial elections, Ontario has sometimes chosen conservative governments.

The NDP, while generally to the left of the Liberals on fiscal policy, is sometimes supportive of gun-owner rights. The Liberal leadership, although not all Liberal M.P.s, has been extremely hostile to the notion that gun owners even have “rights”, and has promoted the view in U.N. fora that U.S.-style gun policies are a violation of international human rights law.

NDP leader Jack Layton told Saskatoon’s The StarPhoenix: “We find that there’s a broad agreement that (the registry) hasn’t been well set-up. It’s been totally mismanaged and many people agree that it’s got to be fundamentally changed.” The StarPhoenix writes that Layton “says the registry punishes people who own guns even if they have legitimate reasons.” The paper also reports that Layton favors adding handguns to the controversial national registry. (Legally-owned Canadian handguns have been nationally registered since 1934, in their own registy.)

Layton continued: “The way it’s [the long gun registry’s] been set up, it leaves gun owners wondering if the federal government thinks that merely because they have a long gun they are criminal and that’s not right.”

Conservative Leader Stephen Harper argues for abolishing new registry of long guns, while increasing mandatory sentences for some gun crimes, and creating a new five-year mandatory minimum for breaking and entering with the intent to steal a gun.

All I see around here is negative ads by the conservatives. I wish they’d run some positive ads on their own platform!

Apparently, I’m not on the list of voters, so I’ve got to drop in and get registered so I can vote.

My vote is none of your damned business, it is between me and my conscience… is the weed party running this year?

[quote]vroom wrote:
All I see around here is negative ads by the conservatives. I wish they’d run some positive ads on their own platform!
[/quote]

I find this a little rich, you’ve been watching the news/TV lately…haven’t you?

What is your opinion on the liberal ads?

I especially liked the one that says that Harper will be placing a greater “armed military” presence in Canadian cities (omnious tones, beating drums). Insulting the military and conservatives at the same time, very nice.

I’m voting conservative.

[quote]vroom wrote:

My vote is none of your damned business, it is between me and my conscience… is the weed party running this year?[/quote]

Or as we say in my house, “my vote is between me and Jean Chretien”. :slight_smile:

Towner, dude, I think I know what I’m seeing on TV.

What I am seeing, over and over and over, is “newspaper clippings” discussing the crookedness of the liberals, suggesting that we should stand up for Canada.

Now, if they are showing you different commercials, that’s good! Honestly, it’s been all negative on my TV. Don’t blame me… I’m just watching it!

You are just mad because I am voting for the weed party! :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]vroom wrote:

What I am seeing, over and over and over, is “newspaper clippings” discussing the crookedness of the liberals, suggesting that we should stand up for Canada.

[/quote]

If you replace “Canada” with “New Jersey” in this post, you’d be describing every race in the last six years here.

And yet, we are still liberal all the way.

[quote]vroom wrote:

[/quote]

I find this interesting. You mean they’re not playing the liberal adds in your area? In Ontario? If the only adds you see are conservative, does that not imply that the liberals don’t care enough about the region to even advertise?

Or are the liberals advertising, but you have your blinders on :wink:

Hey, I LIKE the weed party! I find the legalization debate fascinating, and think their party explains their views very well.

[quote]vroom wrote:

Now, if they are showing you different commercials, that’s good! Honestly, it’s been all negative on my TV. Don’t blame me… I’m just watching it!

You are just mad because I am voting for the weed party! :stuck_out_tongue:
[/quote]

As far as the ads go, I’m seeing what Vroom is seeing, negative conservative ads…and hardly any Liberal or NDP ads. It’s not actually surprising since the Conservative party is the only party with any money.

As for my vote, I’m not saying…but I am still looking at the platforms.

On a seperate note, anyone have any thoughts on where Harper would look for support in a minority Government? If he looks to the Bloc, then he’s aligning with seperatists, and if he aligns with the NDP…well that’s just wierd!

Stephen Harper and the Conservative party scares me. And I do not like the Liberals. So who does that leave? The NDP? I think not. I’m voting Green.

Check out the Green party website at: www.greenparty.ca

[quote]vroom wrote:

Apparently, I’m not on the list of voters, so I’ve got to drop in and get registered so I can vote.

My vote is none of your damned business, it is between me and my conscience… is the weed party running this year?[/quote]

You bet they’re runnning! lol Although they have basically the same platform as the Green Party, they just don’t have anything else on their platform except weed. Just remember their slogan from the last election. Let’s roll in '04!

Personally I’m voting NDP. God forbid the Conservatives get on top though, not sure I want a PM that looks like he’s always wearing lipstick, and one I definitely wouldn’t leave my children around, but alas they are better than the Liberals.
Too bad I can’t vote Bloc, I honestly think Gilles Duceppe is the best leader we have.

T

I’m thinking of voting Green as well. It’ll be the first time to do so, mostly cause I can’t bring myself to vote for the “lesser evil”.

I think we need some new blood in there. The Liberals piss me off… NDP are way too left… and the Conservatives I’m not too sure about. Of those three the Conservatives would be my most favourable choice.

We’ll see… I’ll do some more research. It’ll most likely be between Green and the Conservatives.

Brian Hildebrandt

Hope the Canadians have a true man of honour, like our President Bush, to vote for this time.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
Hope the Canadians have a true man of honour, like our President Bush, to vote for this time.

[/quote]

Hhahahahahhahhhahahahahahhahhahahahahh.