Canada's Gold Medals

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
Now I feel kind of bad …I just checked and Canada has no medals…none at all. Man, I started the thread all in good fun.

Canadians, hey I’m sincerely sorry. Seriously.[/quote]

It was a protest against your appropriation of our medals.

Now that you’ve apologized we’ll instruct our athletes to finish higher than 4th.

neither does South Africa :frowning:

China is still beating the USA though, we should close the gap once track and field starts.

Anyone notice how the US news media ordered the countries by total medal count instead of gold medals so that USA was on top?

I have nothing to add but this thread is quite amusing, good one HH.

[quote]Ren wrote:

China is still beating the USA though, we should close the gap once track and field starts.

Anyone notice how the US news media ordered the countries by total medal count instead of gold medals so that USA was on top?[/quote]

The majority of the Chinese gold medals have come from events that are not even real sports. Ping-Pong? Badminton? I think a person would get his ass kicked if he came around my town bragging about being a competitive badminton player.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Ren wrote:

Anyone notice how the US news media ordered the countries by total medal count instead of gold medals so that USA was on top?

The majority of the Chinese gold medals have come from events that are not even real sports. Ping-Pong? Badminton? I think a person would get his ass kicked if he came around my town bragging about being a competitive badminton player. [/quote]

A give them some credit, the ones for Shooting would be fine in Texas (maybe not since they use air riffles for some events).

A few “real” events:
Weightlifting 8G, 1S
Shooting 4G, 2S, 1B
Judo 3G

They also picked up all 4 golds in Sych Diving…I know you were hoping the USA would get those!

Fucking Togo has a medal… and we don’t?

When are the hockey competitions?

Yeah baby, we’re back in it!!!

One medal guaranteed, and in women’s wrestling (a real sport nonetheless)!!!

We got 3 during the night.

Looks like warmup week is over.

[quote]Ruggerlife wrote:
Yeah baby, we’re back in it!!!

One medal guaranteed, and in women’s wrestling (a real sport nonetheless)!!!

http://www.cbc.ca/olympics/wrestling/story/2008/08/15/f-olympics-carol-advances-goldmatch.html[/quote]

Women’s wrestling is not a real sport.

Nothing that would be more appealing with “jello” in the title can be a sport.

[quote]pookie wrote:

[/quote]

Keep dreaming, after all, you’ll humiliate the US in track and field right?

[quote]gatesoftanhauser wrote:
pookie wrote:

Keep dreaming, after all, you’ll humiliate the US in track and field right?[/quote]

As soon as they finish putting the ice on the track and require all athletes to carry hockey sticks…or step up immigration efforts from the Caribbean.

[quote]Ruggerlife wrote:
gatesoftanhauser wrote:
pookie wrote:

Keep dreaming, after all, you’ll humiliate the US in track and field right?

As soon as they finish putting the ice on the track and require all athletes to carry hockey sticks…or step up immigration efforts from the Caribbean.[/quote]

Gotta try to get some Jamaicans…way to go Usain Bolt!

[quote]LiftSmart wrote:
gatesoftanhauser wrote:
LiftSmart wrote:

What an embarrassment that thread was.

Just like the embarassment of a military that you’ve got going for you.

It’s small but the soldiers it’s comprised of are as deserving of respect as any other peacekeeping/counter terrorist force.
[/quote]

I can’t tell if he’s being sarcastic or not. But it IS funny. Counter terrorism/peacekeeping force … oh man …

[quote]Ruggerlife wrote:
rainjack wrote:
Ren wrote:

The majority of the Chinese gold medals have come from events that are not even real sports. Ping-Pong? Badminton? I think a person would get his ass kicked if he came around my town bragging about being a competitive badminton player.

A give them some credit, the ones for Shooting would be fine in Texas (maybe not since they use air riffles for some events).

A few “real” events:
Weightlifting 8G, 1S
Shooting 4G, 2S, 1B
Judo 3G

They also picked up all 4 golds in Sych Diving…I know you were hoping the USA would get those!
[/quote]

Chinese athletes had to bust their ass of for the 8 medals in weightlifting, exactly how much Phelps got, destroying the competition.

Do you think Michael Phelps’ 8 gold medal performance was greater than Usain Bolt’s 2 (maybe more, depends on the relays)?

Just a thought - if Phelps was Canadian, USA would have had 21 golds as now, and Canada would have had 11 :slight_smile:

[quote]mldj wrote:
Chinese athletes had to bust their ass of for the 8 medals in weightlifting, which Phelps got, destroying the competition.

Do you think Michael Phelps’ 8 gold medal performance was greater than Usain Bolt’s 2 (maybe more, depends on the relays)?

Just a thought - if Phelps was Canadian, USA would have had 21 golds as now, and Canada would have had 11 :)[/quote]

I think all the athlete’s need to bust their asses to reach that level. And I have a hell of a lot of respect for all of them.

As for Phelps or Bolt, I don’t know which is more impressive. Swimming and sprinting are two completely separate beasts at the Olympics, I mean Phelps had 8 opportunities (and excelled) whereas Bolt only has 3 maybe 4 options.

However, you need to give the other USA swimmers a lot of credit as well, I don’t know if any country (maybe the Aussies) that could have built a team around Phelps the way the USA did. At least 2 of those relays were so close that if anyone screwed up, no record for Phelps.

But I’d welcome both to Team Canada anytime!

[quote]Ruggerlife wrote:
mldj wrote:
Chinese athletes had to bust their ass of for the 8 medals in weightlifting, which Phelps got, destroying the competition.

Just a thought - if Phelps was Canadian, USA would have had 21 golds as now, and Canada would have had 11 :slight_smile:

I think all the athlete’s need to bust their asses to reach that level. And I have a hell of a lot of respect for all of them.

As for Phelps or Bolt, I don’t know which is more impressive. Swimming and sprinting are two completely separate beasts at the Olympics, I mean Phelps had 8 opportunities (and excelled) whereas Bolt only has 3 maybe 4 options.

However, you need to give the other USA swimmers a lot of credit as well, I don’t know if any country (maybe the Aussies) that could have built a team around Phelps the way the USA did. At least 2 of those relays were so close that if anyone screwed up, no record for Phelps.

But I’d welcome both to Team Canada anytime!

[/quote]

I’d say Jason Lezak was unbelievable in the relays. He made sure Phelps didn’t stray from his 8G’s plan, he overtook Alain Bernard in the 4x100, that’s saying something.

By the way, looking at what I wrote, it seems Phelps got 8 medals in weightlifting… I wonder how much he snatched…

[quote]mldj wrote:
By the way, looking at what I wrote, it seems Phelps got 8 medals in weightlifting… I wonder how much he snatched…

[/quote]

I think he snatched 3 golds and C&J’d 5 golds.

Maybe the Americans should give all their past medals back to Jamaica.

[quote]flyboy51v wrote:
I can’t tell if he’s being sarcastic or not. But it IS funny. Counter terrorism/peacekeeping force … oh man …[/quote]

Hey! Canada is excellent at counter terrorism. Most terrorist are extremely low-tech, something our army relates to extremely well. It’s much easier to anticipate an enemy’s tactics when you’re using the same material they are.

And we’ve stopped showing up in the middle of the desert wearing dark green camo, so that helps too.