Canada & US No Hockey Medals

[quote]FlawlessCowboy wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:

What did he say? I love how he insults the Europeans but I haven’t seen him in years.

A bit of trivia, he was my neighbor when I was about 3 years old.

http://winnipegsun.com/Sports/2006Games/2006/02/23/1458108-sun.html

That article’s last line essentially captures it, but not near as great as the way he said it on TV. The tone of voice was great, as were his mannerisims. Then, he went on about wanting to commentate short-track speed-skating and not being there on Friday, despite his co-host saying he was essentially contractually obliged.

Alright, so I guess you had to see it. I admit it.

-FC[/quote]

He is great. He alsways says what is on his mind. I wish I could see him down here.

Kessel, Parise, Jack and Erik Johnson, Skille, Stafford, Schremp, and a bunch of other guys.

I know I can’t wait until 2010 to see the young bucks of US Hockey taking over on the big stage.

Team USA won’t be a Gold Medal favorite in Vancouver. But, it should be a disappointment if the youth movement along with solid Olympic vets like Cole, Gionta, Drury, and a few others don’t allow the US to have much better tournament than this time around.

[quote]BIGRAGOO wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:
paul bunyan wrote:
We still have better players.

Yea but we got the motherfuckin bombs.

Hahahahaha, isn’t that Dennis Leary?[/quote]

Yup. One of my heroes.

Anytime Canada gets a hard-on about being better than us in whatever, that’s all you have to say.

I was fuming when we lost against the Swiss. I was enraged when we lost against the Finns.

By the time the Russians rolled around I was just bitter towards the team and half expected them to lose. Of course when they did I was in a pretty foul mood.

Utter disappointment. There’s no excuse to get shut out of 3 games with the talent on the team.

The women’s team showed a lot more heart than the men’s team, who were flat all tourny. Maybe we should have asked them to play for the men. At least we would have seen some heart.

[quote]kroby wrote:
I heard a commentator say, and I agree, Canada has the size, but not the skill that Sweden, Russia and Chec Rep. exhibit. For Canada and US to return to the podium, a greater emphesis must be placed on skating and passing the puck. Not the battling on the boards. Look at the women. They pass better than the men. Hockey is about to go from brute to skill, and it’s about time. Remember Wayne Gretzky? That was skill. Not size. Maybe this will finally be a wake up call.[/quote]

But there’s room for both, grit and skill need not be exclusive and that is why hockey is a great sport, the russians have become alot grittier and haven’t lost their ability, so have the fins, canada had alot of talent, lecavalier has some of the softest hands in the world, thornton is a great setup man, but you still need you’re hitters to hit and they didnt.

Again. Since when does this not count as complete ownage?

Seriously, I think Bertuzzi is a lot more timid since the incident. For such a big powerful man, you sure don’t notice him very much out there.

all great players…just too bad they couldn’t pull it together for the Olympics…kinda wanted to see a repeat of Salt Lake…ahh well
Not just blaming it on Gretzky…I heard a couple of broadcasters blame buddy Bertuzzy put out too saying how he should never have laid charges against him at such a critical time
which is complete BS

[quote]J.Boogie wrote:
since when do the russians out-hit us, thats horseshit. [quote]

Red wing Vladamir Konstantinov. You better keep your head up when he was on the ice.

Complete disgrace, players are the responsible ones for losing the game and fucking up. Both Team Canada and USA should have easily been medal winners. Pretty pathetic to blame Gretzky or anyone else but the players, just tell me what bertuzzi and all these guys get paid per year and than tell me why they werent able to even beat fuckin switzerland…

[quote]StevenF wrote:
Seriously, I think Bertuzzi is a lot more timid since the incident. For such a big powerful man, you sure don’t notice him very much out there. [/quote]

I watch every Canucks game and I can tell you that Bertuzzi has been a complete embarasment this year. He slowly glides across the ice, takes lazy penalties and almost never throws a hit. I once saw him cause two giveaways in our zone in less than 10 seconds. WTF!. That is a selection that Gretzky can be blamed for. All year Canucks fans for the most part have been greatly angered with his play. Most players have the odd off game, well Bertuzzi has the odd good game. I was hoping he would light it up in the olympics to up his value in a trade. Sadly I doubt that will be the case.

About the american team. I would have liked to see Ryan Kessler on the team. Lately he has been a fantastic player. He is not big but he always stirs shit up, throwing good hits and fighting guys that greatly outweigh him. He is my favorite Canuck to watch.

Hey, not to bash on Gretzky, he’s the greatest player, but that doesn’t mean he’s a great coach. In fact, most of the time it’s the other way around. And with the results he had…

Best team on paper isn’t worth shit if you can’t prouve it on the ice. Although I admit it’s the players aren’t as much a team as a haphasard, slapped together bunch of stars of didn’t have time to create a team spirit.

[quote]Zen warrior wrote:
Hey, not to bash on Gretzky, he’s the greatest player, but that doesn’t mean he’s a great coach. In fact, most of the time it’s the other way around. And with the results he had…

Best team on paper isn’t worth shit if you can’t prouve it on the ice. Although I admit it’s the players aren’t as much a team as a haphasard, slapped together bunch of stars of didn’t have time to create a team spirit. [/quote]

yep you guys basically failed for the same reason we failed in basketball…

Oh the critics…