Canada: Get Fat, Get Free Extra Seat

Disabled, obese allowed free extra plane seat

Top court refuses airlines’ appeal of ‘one-person, one-fare’ ruling

Janice Tibbetts, Canwest News Service
Published: Thursday, November 20, 2008

Canada’s two largest airlines must give disabled and morbidly obese passengers an extra free seat on domestic flights, beginning in January, after the Supreme Court refused yesterday to consider the carriers’ appeal of a federal order.

The Supreme Court, by convention, gave no reason for declining to intervene in the case.

The decision ended a six-year battle by disabled travellers to secure two seats for the price of one if they need inflight attendants. Obese people can also qualify if they are too large to fit in a single seat.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

Disabled, obese allowed free extra plane seat

Top court refuses airlines’ appeal of ‘one-person, one-fare’ ruling

Janice Tibbetts, Canwest News Service
Published: Thursday, November 20, 2008

Canada’s two largest airlines must give disabled and morbidly obese passengers an extra free seat on domestic flights, beginning in January, after the Supreme Court refused yesterday to consider the carriers’ appeal of a federal order.

The Supreme Court, by convention, gave no reason for declining to intervene in the case.

The decision ended a six-year battle by disabled travellers to secure two seats for the price of one if they need inflight attendants. Obese people can also qualify if they are too large to fit in a single seat. [/quote]

I have to keep bulking. Could a personal chef by my in flight attendant?

I can understand the handicapped part I mean they can’t help it, but to cater to people because they can’t control what they stuff down their fat faces in sad.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

Obese people can also qualify if they are too large to fit in a single seat. [/quote]

Some of the guys who post here would be pretty happy if they calculate that a person is obese by using the BMI.

I saw this the other day. As far as I’m concerned, whatever that’s worth, if you require twice as much of a business’s product or service regardless of the reason then you pay twice as much. Unless that business wishes to offer their own plan for accommodation.

If some IFBB pro takes up 2 seats then it is not wrong and should not be illegal to charge him for what he is using. Even in the case of handicapped. The fact that they have no control over their situation has no bearing on the company having to provide twice as much space on their airplane which is their stock in trade.

On the other hand this is Canada so they can do whatever cockamamie thing they want.

This is good for the handicapped. If someone is dependant on a ventilater, they would actually make that person pay for an extra seat for that ventilater.

[quote]jayski wrote:
This is good for the handicapped. If someone is dependant on a ventilater, they would actually make that person pay for an extra seat for that ventilater. [/quote]

I’m saying it should be up to the company and it would be both good hearted and good business if they made exceptions for the involuntarily disabled.

However, whenever a government has a great idea somebody else oughta do, my eat shit alarm goes off.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
However, whenever a government has a great idea somebody else oughta do, my eat shit alarm goes off.[/quote]

Exactly. I’ve been on an Air Canada flight where a blind woman got a free seat for her seeing-eye dog (first-class, too), so it’s not as if they’ve always been assholes about it. This just ends up costing the rest of us more, since you know AC isn’t just gonna eat that ticket cost.

Disabled getting extra seat = fine

It’s not like they’re at fault.

Obese getting extra seat = not fine, in fact it’s absolute bullshit.

If you choose to have a certain body type, then you pay for the extra resources you use. This includes the IFBB pros and anyone who willingly chooses to push their physique into a certain direction.

"The agency said the airlines must develop a process to assess eligibility. The free seats need not be provided to obese people who are just uncomfortable in their seats or are not disabled by their size, said the ruling.

The airlines also do not have to make allowances for disabled people who prefer to travel with a companion for personal reasons or those who require care on the ground, but not in the air."

Actually, that doesn’t sound too bad.

So what if they don’t fit through the door to some restaurant or their restroom or other place of business? What if the chairs at Wendy’s aren’t strong enough or the booths aren’t big enough. What if the car they like won’t accommodate them and so on.

Let’s not stop at the airlines, hell let’s mandate that all businesses spend or forfeit whatever funds are necessary to give these waddling health hazards another whole new list of reasons not to do anything about their self inflicted condition.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
I saw this the other day. As far as I’m concerned, whatever that’s worth, if you require twice as much of a business’s product or service regardless of the reason then you pay twice as much. Unless that business wishes to offer their own plan for accommodation.

If some IFBB pro takes up 2 seats then it is not wrong and should not be illegal to charge him for what he is using. Even in the case of handicapped. The fact that they have no control over their situation has no bearing on the company having to provide twice as much space on their airplane which is their stock in trade.

On the other hand this is Canada so they can do whatever cockamamie thing they want. [/quote]

Why then to businesses have to put in handicap ramps and such?