Canada Asks Drug Makers to Stop Marketing Opioids

Here’s something interesting I found.

Presidents cannot reschedule drugs by Executive Order.

1 Like

Interesting trajectory that graph takes right in the timeframe I mentioned.

Not bad for a bunch of people that were talking out of their asses.

Also, from the prior article on changing schedules- how many R’s vs. D’s were cited in there as putting forth bills? 3 to 1?

And I’m talking out of My ass?

1 Like

This does not support your contention that “Trump could EO it tomorrow”. As a matter of fact it says nothing of the sort.
So we still have no evidence that you can EO Federal laws or reschedule drugs.

So to recap, everything you said here is wrong.
It’s not a matter of agreement, it has no basis in fact.

I didn’t mean to come off as offensive with that post. People simply didn’t have a way to know whether or not they were right and wrong, ON TOP OF support actually being so low that anyone thinking it was soon to be legalized either didn’t understand the number that did exist, or were talking out of their ass.

Whatever floats your boat mang. As I said, zero interest in discussing any of this with you. Have a good night.

I found a nice article about how to go about rescheduling MJ. Doesn’t look easy unless congress does it. I’m genuinely curious too, @pfury. I was with you (I thought Trump could just EO it) until I read this article.

Forgot to link it.

1 Like

It was a fleshing out and consensus building period. The arguments that are being used now were beginning to be substantiated at that point.

You ever plant any trees? They take a while to bear fruit. Especially after Nancy Reagan sprayed everything with round up.

Also, before the internet people did communicate. In fact, they would walk right up to you and ask what you thought about such and such, write it down, etc. Or call on the telephone. Nott the most elegant system, but it seemed to work well enough.

I want there to be absolutely no mistake with something. I literally fuckin applaud anyone that supported weed legalization in the 90s and prior. The public opinion was not on their side, there was very little accurate information, studying of MJ was essentially non existent, and it was branded as being part of the hippie movement, that already had decent societal pushback.

Without those people, who were willing to let their anecdotal experience override the ‘conventional wisdom’ of the time, we go nowhere with legalization ever. They were ABSOLUTELY the crux and basis for the entire legalization movement. It took decades to combat the derp of society and come to this point.

But when you say

They were talking out of their ass. They based those statements on what? The polling numbers they didn’t have (and if they did, it would have disagreed with them)? The medical research that was not only nearly impossible to find (thanks internet), but was almost non existent anywhere and everywhere?

The glory of hindsight allows us to see there was never even a sliver of hope at Clinton legalizing MJ, nor any movement of the 90s getting the job done. Hell he wasn’t even pushing it as a major talking point because the public just didn’t really care. MJ was for hippies and lazy stoners who flunked out of HS. Public support was minimal, it was still stigmatized, virtually no reliable research, etcetc.

So to the people that told you “Dems are gonna do it” decades ago, I’d ask them to back up that statement. And when they couldn’t, I’d accuse them of talking out of their ass. Pushing this whole “it’ll get done” movement just creates laziness. If people think it’s just around the corner, motivation levels hit the floor (and it’s not like stoners need help with that).

If it worked, they would have known what we know now, that support/information in the 90s and prior was nowhere near the level it needed to be for legalization to be a reasonable short term goal.

1 Like

This is just abject silliness.

Apparently if anything happened before you knew about it it was archaic speaking out of ones ass.

Congrats dude. You invented political action, informatics and the push to legalize marijuana!

1 Like

Absolutely not saying that at all

Let’s role play this. You’re the guy from the 90s who told you Clinton would legalize MJ. How did that pitch go? Serious question

I’ll have to get back to you on this, the battery on this tablet is about done, so a couple of hrs.

1 Like

I mean, um, maybe I’m not the best to accurately summarize this? In short, it is my understanding that a President can write orders to be carried out on the executive side. I do believe it has to be within the spirit of the law. Like, carry out said law this way or that way? And those orders can be challenged in court. Just how I understand it.

1 Like

Just to preface-

http://norml.org/about/item/a-new-head-at-the-helm

We (me and 4 others) were at a motel over by Buckeye Lake in Ohio getting settled in and partying the night before a Greatful Dead concert. We’re all smoking up and meeting everyone else when a guy and a few of his friends come up to us and offer to throw a big fat joint into the mix. We welcome them and start shooting the shit. This guy says that he’s up from D.C. to see the show and talk to people about legalizing pot. As the conversation moves on he tells us about his work- Talking to politicians, building consensus, and all kinds of stuff that has been blurred over the years. He talso breaks out a copy of High Times and shows us a picture of himself shaking hands with somebody official somewhere in D.C. He also gave us a bunch of pamphlets and information on what was being done, who to call, etc. Like in the links above.

Bear in mind, this was before instabook face gram yaddayaddayadda, so having some print media and your pic in a nationally distributed magazine was a pretty big deal, and quite necessary to convince a bunch of paranoid potheads that you aren’t a narc.

Then, the next day on the way into the concert venue, there they were with a big kiosk shaking hands, handing out pamphlets and spreading the word about reform to a big giant (maybe 40k people? I dunno? I was tripping my brains out) bunch of people.

It was pretty convincing. May have been talking themselves up a bit, but they were actually doing what they said they were there to do.

They had some damn good weed too. Way better than our swag.

I was also around, and occasionally smoking marijuana in the 90’s. I heard optimistic talk of Bill legalizing it.

Obviously not in op-eds for the Wall Street Journal or the New York Times.

Awesome story haha. Always better to read this a lil toked. :+1:

All awesome. But look at what actually happened to get this far. Millions in research, both here and mostly abroad, clinical attributes, over 60% national support.

I’m not knocking them for not knowing it. It’s the joy of hindsight. But handing out pamphlets and all that stuff, while absolutely vital as a start, was just the tip of the iceberg. They just didn’t know it yet.

We’re seeing actual rec legalization. In a snowballing fashion. This is the byproduct of those decades of work. The federal aspect will probably need a tipping point, it’s still too full of Republicans and special interest. But states have considerably less of the latter

1 Like

I promise you I smoked more weed in the 90’s than most people do their entire lives. It wasn’t just a high it was a mission to do everything and anything I could stoned as shit. (You would have to wake and bake and maintain all day for the next 10 years to catch up. I was just hitting my stride at your age.)
I made the Dean’s list and hit personal li
fting records stoned as shit, while holding a full time job and managing a social life. I was a fucking MJ super hero in the 90’s.
LSD was still the shit though, pot just made it better. Bluerose bud, that was some supernatural acid. Save for liquid, best and cleanest shit.

I smoked pot with 2 professors and had one ask me to score some for him. That equals 3 people, not 2. I wouldn’t have minded the question so much if I wasn’t tripping my balls off at the time.
When he called me out of the class I thought I was busted, nope he was trying to score. Like most of the school could not get him weed.
After I went back to class like 10 minutes later, I started laughing hysterically. Too bad nobody was in on the joke, i had to keep it to myself.

Back in the 90’s you had 2 types of weed. Regular weed and Kind-bud. It was super uncomplicated. If you could you bought kind bud, then you smoked it out of a 4 ft waterbong, lovingly named the ‘Blue-bitch’. The next 10 breaths you took you were still blowing out smoke. We put ice in it to make it milder. Lesson 1, don’t fill it up with smoke. Lesson 2, don’t put a mouse in the smoke, I don’t know if I killed it or made it passout. We ended up flushing it because we didn’t want to fuck up the snake that was to eat it.

I really could write a book on the shit I pulled. It was A LOT.
A lot of folks have good stories, I just have more than most. Some was luck, some was God, some was…who the fuck knows…

1 Like

Ahhh, the good ol’ Grateful fuckin’ Dead. From, the early 90’s to 8/9/95 they were the nerve center for most of my plans. I didn’t follow them around like some folks, but I saw everything I could locally.
Coolest scene ever. It cannot be replicated and it won’t be.
No, not even Phish. Phish had their cool moments, but they were not the GD. They would be the first to admit it too, not that they didn’t try.
The Greatful Dead didn’t plan this shit, it just happened. You really can’t plan it. There is no way to control that many people in a predictable manner, so they never tried.
But you had a sea of incredibly fucked-up people mixed with a lot of authority and everyone got along fine.
I was super early for a 93 show and was hanging out, none of my freinds were there yet.
I sat minding my own business and an older cop checked to see if I was cool and I said ‘Yup!’… Then he sat down and we started talking. He was talking about how he grew up in the ‘60s and didn’t have a problem with any of this stuff. We talked for 2 hours. Just shootin’ the shit, shook hands and wished each other well at the end.
There is a reason I have a ‘Steal your Face’ as my icon. It’s a huge part of who I am a huge part of my life.
It was the one space I truly belonged. I mattered and didn’t matter as much as anyone else. I got along with everyone.

I talked to some cops in riot gear who where at the show in '94. They weren’t doing anything in particular. I asked them what they thought of the scene. They told me they loved the assignment. Everybody listened to them and the crowd was the most managable of all they were called to manage. There’s a lot of deadheads with pictures with riot cops. They were very affable.
There was just very little tension between authority and crowd. That was before and after the shows. That’s not something most folks would think or know about the dynamic. Respect was king for everybody. We were there to have a good time, not to make some point about anything.

I think the only people who got on my nerves were the ‘spinners’. To each their own I guess, but they got in people’s way acting dumb. Why go to a show where you stay outside and can’t see the band?
Never understood those folks. I just wanted to piss and get back as soon as possible. I didn’t want to get hit by some hairy armed bitch dancing badly in the foyer.
There was and never will be anything like a Grateful Dead show… especially when they were on fire.
Best way I can explain it is, you didn’t see a concert, you were a part of a singular overall experience where one part was as important to it as another.

No explanation is sufficient, you really had to be there. And if you were there on a hot night, it was supernatural.

1 Like

Then quit responding. If you respond, I naturally assume you want to discuss it with me.
I am all for legalization. It’s overdue. The U.S. didn’t really start fucking around with drugs until the late 1800s. I am sure there was some trade between pussy and temperance.
The men should have held out. Fucked-up lasts longer than an orgasm anyway.

:frowning_face: It was unfair to drag you into this anyway.

I wrote my congressman about the issue, does that count? Yes, in the 90’s. I was passionate about it.