Canada Asks Drug Makers to Stop Marketing Opioids

Told you we’re more alike than you would like to believe.

I also believe the ONLY way for that to ever come close to a reality is to repeal/remove the rule that stops ERs from denying treatment. I think that alone makes it impossible to be a reality in my lifetime.

Haha fwiw, I only said that because the absolute crux and core of our existences and how we perceive the universe do not and won’t be lining up. That changes the basis and influence for nearly every topic, even those we agree on the end point. Generally, I enjoy being around people with your viewpoints though.

1 Like

Yeah. As an addict in recovery I am very much against having inexhaustible resources for junkies. I’m also absolutely not a fan of the normalization or the “staying well” type of attitude that junkies would like the non using public to buy. Its bullshit being served by people that want to play but don’t want to pay. It all amounts to institution level codependency.

The whole thing about people should carry a naloxone kit is also complete bullshit, and just one more way that junkies would love to skate on their own responsibilities and dodge consequences.

1 Like

It’s a bunch of bull shit…for decades black & brown folk od on crack & smack…or get tossed in a cage…White folks start od’ing and we narocan them up & wanna help. Same way mandatory minimums didn’t seem cruel till meth… Bunch of fucking bullshit…let it all be out there… As a avid drug user of all kinds I’ll tell u the truth…we won’t stop till drugs stop being fun or making you look awesome in the mirror… War on drugs is a joke & this new opiod thing is laughable…all it does is make people find new street drugs or outsource

3 Likes

Truth, raw. I like it.

Im just a realist… I dont really buy left vs right BS… Im on the street level on most everything… These turds are gonna OD weather its Vikes or Smack from the corner… By cutting big pharma all you do is increase the cartels profit margins… As long as drugs, gambling, and pussy is fun it will always be bought and sold. Only difference is who collects.

1 Like

As usual, the people they are really hurting are the law abiding, non-drug abusing public. They are not in a race to come up with other pain management drugs and making the ones that do exist nearly impossible to get for most law abiding citizens.
The addicts will get their fix, regardless. The black market will boom. Meanwhile, the guy with his leg broken in 4 places has to beg for a Percocet, because they are soooo concerned about his well being and the addictive nature of these drugs.

People are not dying because they suddenly got addicted from an injury or surgery they sustained and need pain meds for. They are dying because China flooded the underground with Fentanyl. Cheep, easy and tons and tons of it. So, people are cutting with Fentanyl, black market hydrocodone is being made with Fentanyl, turning a perfectly innocent dose into a deadly cocktail.

The real, actual problem is the flood of black market fentanyl. When that hit, people started dying in droves.
So, now your an addict or someone who needs pain meds. You’re doctor tells you to fuck yourself because they don’t want to lose their license, you turn to a buddy who ‘knows a guy’. You think you’re getting oxycodone, but your getting half fentanyl. So 2 or 3 did you fine in the past, so you pop 2-3, drink it down and now you’re an ODing piece of shit who needs rehab and a massive re-education, if you live.

Or you’re a run of the mill heroin junkie. Not a great life, but you get by. The dealer down the street got some new shit he wants to run by you, says it’s awesome. Great! You get your powder, take it how you take it, but BAM! half that shit is fentanyl. Now, you go from a guy who can handle his shit to a dead piece of shit junkie nobody would piss on.

I am not blaming opiate addiction on fentanyl and taken properly, it’s damn effective and fine. But the sneaking of this shit on the market is what has significantly increased the death rate from opiates.
I don’t even care if fentanyl is your thing, I just want people to know what they are taking. They are going to be way more careful with fentanyl then they would be with Tylenol 3.
If you are a drug dealer and your shit is mixed with fentanyl, just tell your customers so they don’t end up dead from what normally would be a pretty harmless dose.

Is this a fact? no. My evidence is anecdotal. When I started hearing stories of shipping containers from China, filled with fentanyl, it happened to coincide with the significant increase in incidences of overdoses as reported by the same news outlet(s). In this case my source was NPR…

Cough cough medical MJ

All for it…

Now we just need republicans in power on board :wink:

1 Like

Here’s one for the record books-

And I can tell you from seeing the stories on the news just about every week that docs have been dishing these out like jelly beans in exchange for money and sex.

And

And a whole google search using keywords western Pennsylvania, doctor, narcotics.

Its fucking ridiculous. The one twat in one of the above articles used to go to meetings (some which I attended) to grab new business.

1 Like

The dominoes are falling, I think it’s just a matter of time.
And there are a decent number of republicans who feel the way we do. Politics is slow, but eventually the will of the people will pervade.

This seems like a go-to move for former politicians. Its not like he doesn’t still have a lot of peoples ear and the ability to wield some influence.

2 Likes

It wouldnt take a large chunk of Republicans to immediately make MJ legal and reschedule it now, they just don’t have the balls to speak against the party. We’ll end up with it legalized in the next cycle in which the Dems control Washington.

At most there’s a recession in the works. Average over capitalization of the public is rising in recent years, and it’ll inevitably get pinned on the GOP if they’re still in control when that happens.

Personally my money is on the recession hitting first. It’ll take at least 6 more years to regain Congress

Legal weed makes sense but not gonna happen with the ultra right… If your counting on the party of business to help out yur gonna be disappointed… Saving money & making money aint there thing no more.

It turns out with this article that the Canadian government treated the pharmaceutical industry as partners, and when Purdue settled with the United States government they didn’t admit anything nefarious in Canada at the time. I hope some teeth get sunk into this.

The problem is that it’s a federal law, with a backing SCOTUS ruling of its legality.
You can have 100% support for complete legality and it’s still going to be difficult and slow because of that.
It’s a fight and we have to fight for it. But it is becoming more and more bi-partisan. The fact the Colorado has not exploded and billions of dollars are flowing in from the pot industry has silenced or at least mitigated the critics.
I say less than 20 years it will be legal country wide.

There is a recession in the works? Really? Of course there is and there will be a subsequent recovery and then another recession. It’s called capitalism. It goes up and it goes down.

20 years? Damn, that is a long wait. We here in Canada were supposed to have it this month, then the feds set it as October 17 so that municipalities can get ready.

I couldn’t agree with this less. 100% support would allow for legalization to happen at LIGHTNING speed.

I was merely pointing it out in what I was saying that weed will get legalized if Dems regain control OR a recession happens. Whichever comes first. I don’t think it’ll take 20 years. The snowball is already rolling

You have no affinity for hyperbole. The point is that federal law is not easy to change even when you have the support for it.
It’s the process that’s slow. Few unilateral, singularity focused bills ever are even introduced to congress.

A recession won’t do shit for marijuana reform. I don’t know why you think that. If that were the case it would be legal. It generates revenue at the state level, it wouldn’t do much country wide. And besides the more places it’s legal, the less per capita revenue it generates.

I am for it because it’s the right thing to do. I don’t need any other reason.