T Nation

Can ZMA Cause Irregular Periods in Women?

I know someone who started taking ZMA. She already has a laproscopic type of sterilization. She has missed a period in the same month she started taking ZMA. Is it a reasonable cause? Negative pregnancy test but might not show up if ectopic.

Wait, is ZMA okay for women? I gave it to my girlfriend. She’s on bc though.

There is no reason to believe it is unsafe. Everything listed on the label is fine for women, but it can raise free test, and also might block DHA conversion a little. I wondered if it those could lead to a missed period or irregularity.

Has anything else changed? Stress level, training volume/weight, etc… All sorts of stuff can affect period frequency so I’ve learned through marriage…

She thought of two things. 1) She was at altitude (10,000 feet) when it was supposed to occur (for 4 days), and 2) she had started taking ZMA a week or so before.

[quote]mertdawg wrote:
She thought of two things. 1) She was at altitude (10,000 feet) when it was supposed to occur (for 4 days), and 2) she had started taking ZMA a week or so before. [/quote]

Hmmm seems strange; however, in my experience, as a man mind you, the wife is off all the time. If she’s that concerned you should get it checked out, but irregularity happens and it can be a lot of things. I wouldn’t worry too much about it unless again there’s a reason to be concerned.

My uneducated guess would be the altitude and (assuming) travel (which is often stressful) could have played a roll. I suppose ZMA could of too, but we’re just talking about minerals here.

From what I’ve read the alleged increases in free test cause by ZMA consumption has yet to be supported by any actual science. Here’s a little bit of info. examine.com/supplements/ZMA/