Can You Take Too Many BCAA's?

I take 50g BCAA per day - is this too much? can you take too much of this? Is there a point of diminishing returns? waste of $$? Thanks

Biotest on their BCAA says no more than 30 pills in 24 hrs, which is like 27g

it’s just amino acids, so I can’t see why too many would be a problem, but I’m not positive

[quote]BoomBoom68 wrote:
I take 50g BCAA per day - is this too much? can you take too much of this? Is there a point of diminishing returns? waste of $$? Thanks[/quote]

No, you’re fine. Coach Thibaudeau is currently experimenting with that range of BCAA dosage, and he has nothing but good things to say about it.

Are you taking 50g all at once, or spread throughout the day?

Thibs suggest 10g prior to workout, 20g during. He has also said in his “Thibs Suppliments” forum that he has been experimenting with 20g during workout and 5g 3 times a day: morning, 3 hours post workout, and before bed.

I would say 50g all at once is more than you should take at one time. Not because it will kill you, but I don’t think your body will use it as effectively as it would spread out.

Also, I have never seen any coach here recommend that dose per day. 30-40 is the most I’ve seen suggested.

cueball

thanks all

[quote]DirtyRobot wrote:
BoomBoom68 wrote:
I take 50g BCAA per day - is this too much? can you take too much of this? Is there a point of diminishing returns? waste of $$? Thanks

No, you’re fine. Coach Thibaudeau is currently experimenting with that range of BCAA dosage, and he has nothing but good things to say about it.[/quote]

Saw this after my post. The numbers I quoted was from a post in April of last year. Where is the discussion you are refering to. Link? I would be interested in reading. Thanks.

cueball

[quote]cueball wrote:

Saw this after my post. The numbers I quoted was from a post in April of last year. Where is the discussion you are refering to. Link? I would be interested in reading. Thanks.

cueball[/quote]

He’s mentioned it several times in both his Thib Zone and Thibs Gets Ripped.

Here’s one quote from page 291 of his Thib Zone http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=1149303&pageNo=290

[quote]I’d bump up the ‘‘during dose’’ I have found a direct relationship between the amount of ‘‘during workout’’ BCAAs and muscle gain.

I was 213lbs 3-4 weeks ago and consuming 20g during; I bumped it to 50g and went up to 218 in 10 days and was a bit leaner. Then I bumped it again to 70g and I was 223lbs this morning (after 5 days at 70g). And this is with little changes in diet.[/quote]

And here’s another from page 289 http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=1149303&pageNo=288

[quote]To be effective you have to consume AT LEAST 0.2g of BCAA per kilo of bodyweight during that time, anything less… don’t bother. So if you are 200lbs (91kg) it means at least 18-20g of BCAA consumed during your workout (between sets).

BUT I found that with BCAAs there is a strong dose-effect relationship, meaning that the more you take, the more effective it is. Right now I’m at 10-15g pre-workout, 50g during the workout and 10-15g post-workout (total of around 70-80g). And the results are nothing short of amazing. [/quote]

Thanks for the quotes, DirtyRobot! I have been taking BCAAs per his old recommendations. This new info is nice. I will try this new dose method and see what happens. Have a good one!

cueball

BoomBoom68: Looks like I was DEAD WRONG on my comments about 50g being more than you can use effectively. Sorry for the mis-info.

cueball

no worries - thanks for quick replies

I dont see why it would be a problem.
BCAA’s are just protein
I’v heard of people useing 90 grams WHILE working out.
Rediculous but iv heard it

The Barr-wisdom…

[i]Today tip comes from David Barr:

Slam the BCAA’s

Pound back the BCAA’s. Unlike antioxidants, and most supplements for that matter, it seems that “more is better” when it comes to BCAA’s. There are sure to be diminishing returns, in that 100g won’t be twice as effective as half the dose, but if you’re using quantities like that, then you have too much money anyway. About 0.2g/kilo bodyweight is a good place to start, and work up from there.[/i]

http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1365045

Let us know how well your progress goes. At 50 gr, and assuming everything else is in order, you should see some astounding gains!