Can You Stop All the Lone Gunmen?

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,24141366-401,00.html

I’m actually disappointed he didn’t get a chance to assault camp david.

That reporter is kinda hot.

So, his dad “gave him firearms”, how do we know that? How do we know they aren’t the dads?

either way the guy is a dipshit.

little late to whack Bush…

…might be to take out the next President

[quote]Spry wrote:
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,24141366-401,00.html

I’m actually disappointed he didn’t get a chance to assault camp david.[/quote]

Would of saved the cost of a trial that’s for sure. I’d give him a good 10 seconds against the Secret Service and the Marines who guard the camp.

As the ability to project power of a single individual rises, expect a response by governments around the world to become increasingly authoritarian. If this kid could amass a big stash like that, imagine what a small determined group could do.

Only an absolute dictatorship which bans weapons and has the ability to watch and track everyone all the time is the eventual outcome of rising technology.

Must be one of 'em Muslims.

[quote]lixy wrote:
Must be one of 'em Muslims.[/quote]

Can’t be, Islam is a religion of peace, right?

Or was that pieces…

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
As the ability to project power of a single individual rises, expect a response by governments around the world to become increasingly authoritarian. If this kid could amass a big stash like that, imagine what a small determined group could do.

Only an absolute dictatorship which bans weapons and has the ability to watch and track everyone all the time is the eventual outcome of rising technology.[/quote]

Yup, “super-empowered individuals” is the term in vogue now, I think the NYT’s Thomas Friedman coined it. I think you’d find John Robb’s book very interesting reading.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

Only an absolute dictatorship which bans weapons and has the ability to watch and track everyone all the time is the eventual outcome of rising technology.[/quote]

It doesnt matter that he had such a stash. His father got it to him illegally, so there goes your making weapons illegal. I’m sure if a boy can get them illegally then a terrorist group can too.

Plus…he got caught! It doesnt matter his stash, because he got caught, so obviously he wasnt good enough and even if he didnt get caught then the govt would have killed his ass the second he went into the camp. Sounds authoriatarian enough to know about criminal activity and handle problems on its own

Did anyone see Minority Report? Remember what Colin Farrell says about the crime scene? He calls it an “orgy of evidence.” What we have here, ladies and gentlemen, is another orgy of evidence.

If I were a legislator with an agenda to ban privately owned “arsenals” of military-style semiautomatic weapons, armor-piercing ammunition, range-finding binoculars, and information on shooting, all of which is freely available in the United States, I would be on my knees thanking the good Lord for this magnificent opportunity.

If I were an unscrupulous legislator working with corrupt police, I might even manufacture orgies of evidence such as this one. There’s no proof that this happened, of course, so I would never allege such a thing, but merely suggest that the possibility exists.

Headhunter, I agree with what you said, but the converse is also true:

As the governments around the world become increasingly authoritarian, expect a response by single individuals to project ever more power.

And no, Spry. You cannot stop them all.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

This is interesting. The power differential between the state and the individual is tremendous compared to what it was in the late 18th century. A farmer with a horse and musket had similar firepower to any state authority.

The idea that such an individual is “super-empowered” is ludicrous… the state still has an overwhelming monopoly on violence, and is disproportionately powerful against even a group of such people who amassed that level of firepower.

The only threat a person like that really poses is to other citizens, against which he can apply his firepower as a terrorist.

[quote]nephorm wrote:
Headhunter wrote:

Only an absolute dictatorship which bans weapons and has the ability to watch and track everyone all the time is the eventual outcome of rising technology.

This is interesting. The power differential between the state and the individual is tremendous compared to what it was in the late 18th century. A farmer with a horse and musket had similar firepower to any state authority.

The idea that such an individual is “super-empowered” is ludicrous… the state still has an overwhelming monopoly on violence, and is disproportionately powerful against even a group of such people who amassed that level of firepower.

The only threat a person like that really poses is to other citizens, against which he can apply his firepower as a terrorist. [/quote]

Yes. It is increasinly difficult to do real damage to the ones in power. Much harder to walk up to a president and shoot him today than 100 or even 20 years ago.