Can You Still Get Stronger with High Bar Squat?

2 Likes

4x6-8
5x3-5
5x10
10x3
1x20
6x6
3x12

There are a million…

1 Like

Yeah :sweat_smile: I kinda noticed after typing that

Where do you look when squatting
Where do you keep your head( i heard putting your head too up can injure your discs)

Was literally about to comment 1-100x1-100

1 Like

I’ve learned man the reps and sets is the least important thing. Just pick 1-3 set/rep scheme and do them 1-3x a week trying to do a little more each week or month and years later you’ll have some big weight for the set rep scheme you chose (as long as you eat tho lol).

1 Like

Which would be most optimal?

3 schemes at 1 per week doesnt feel like enough frequency and 1 scheme at 3x per week doesnt seem like enough volume… my goal is hyperstrengthy.

4 Likes

He’s not talking about having some ones head cranked up in the air.

1 Like

I tend to look straight forward. Whatever feels natural probably is best. Looking up with at least your eyes, if not your head, is a decent physiological cue for a strong squat for a lot of people.

Head position will have very little, if anything, to do with back health. There are FAR more important factors, like bracing, for protecting your back.

2 Likes

All my senses sort of zone out except for proprioception. My eyes are open but I’m not really aware of looking at anything, just focusing on body position and cues.

I think I’m one of the few people that closes my eyes when squatting. Friends think I’m weird. I think it’s helped my form immensely lol.

Your friends are correct, you are weird. Closing your damn eyes, smh. How can you look at the ground with your eyes shut?!

3 Likes

STILL GONNA CLOSE MY EYES SQUATTIN!

4 Likes

I’ll close my eyes on a tough set of plenty of lifts, but never squats. I like to see how red my face can get.

I am learning that closing my eyes are a great way to focus on form and let you body just do what you want it to do.

I haven’t done this for squats though, cause that scares me.

I’ll start doing my warm-ups with my eyes closed.

Someone needs to let Eric know that he has been doing it wrong…

eric

4 Likes

Yes you can get stronger with highbar. I only squat with ssb or I do front squats 90% of the time and my lowbar continues to get stronger. Good luck

1 Like

Literal lulz!

Though I was never a PLer, a few times I tried doing low bar squats. They are not good for my structure at all! There is no ceiling other than your natural strength ceiling in how much you can gain from a basic exercise.

1 Like