Can You Name This Triceps Exercise?

Hi all

A long time ago I read about this triceps exercise. You sit in a smith machine, lower the bar till it almost touches your head and press back up again. Very simple. You can even do this with a barbell.

It is almost impossible to cheat on this and really works the tris. I just can’t find a lot of info on this and was wondering if there are other exercises for other body parts like this?

GW

I’ve heard it called anything from

Head Press
Overhead Lockout
Seated half press ( Strength Training, Bodybuilding & Online Supplement Store - T NATION )

and since I learned about them from that Poliquin I call them Poliquin Presses if I’m writing it down.

??

Barbell Tricep extensions?

Oh, guess i was wrong, i see the power rack presses now lol.

I might try that next triceps session, the lateral head is a bitch and that article says it hits it so I’ll be giving it a try,

[quote]waylanderxx wrote:
I might try that next triceps session, the lateral head is a bitch and that article says it hits it so I’ll be giving it a try,[/quote]

Ever try decline elbows flared cgbp?

He doesn’t go all the way down to his head but this is exactly what you are talking about. I tried this a couple months ago after watching this video for the first time but didn’t feel it in the triceps at all. I don’t know what the exercise is called though. This is one of my favorite naturals btw.

Kenny Patterson

[quote]Ty Carlson wrote:
Kenny Patterson[/quote]

I do these as my main 5/3/1 exercise for MP. I just use a bit of a greater ROM than that guy. I find it work the delts more than the tri’s for me, but I still feel my tri’s getting involved.

I’ve seen this being called ‘helmet press’, if you drop the bar you’ll wish you wore one. I used to do these a while back, I think I gonna add them again for a while.

Guys

A rose by any other name smells just as sweet! I need further explanations here. See, I have done it, and my tris really have started to sore up. It really targeted the tris and kept no room for cheating. You can’t swing the weight, or move it from side to side. This exercise is just so unique.

Are there other exercises for other parts that work similarly? No room for cheating and so on…

[quote]kingbeef323 wrote:

I might try that next triceps session, the lateral head is a bitch and that article says it hits it so I’ll be giving it a try,[/quote]

Ever try decline elbows flared cgbp?[/quote]

Looks like they work well for you!

So that overhead lockout or w/e it’s called that scott posted? Fucking awesome. Keeping that exercise in. First thing I’ve ever found that destroyed my lateral head. Very impressed, especially for it being the first time I’d done the movement.

So that overhead lockout or w/e it’s called that scott posted? Fucking awesome. Keeping that exercise in. First thing I’ve ever found that destroyed my lateral head. Very impressed, especially for it being the first time I’d done the movement.[/quote]

How close was your grip?

[quote]BJack wrote:

So that overhead lockout or w/e it’s called that scott posted? Fucking awesome. Keeping that exercise in. First thing I’ve ever found that destroyed my lateral head. Very impressed, especially for it being the first time I’d done the movement.[/quote]

How close was your grip?[/quote]

Check out the article Scott M linked, the author describes how to do it. Shoulder width and keep elbow flared.

Did this today and it was very nice, I think I will keep it for some time. Sadly, all the racks were occupied so I ended up using the smith so I couldn’t use a real dead start, not sure how much that matters though. Hopefully I’ll have access to a rack next time.

[quote]Matsa wrote:
Did this today and it was very nice, I think I will keep it for some time. Sadly, all the racks were occupied so I ended up using the smith so I couldn’t use a real dead start, not sure how much that matters though. Hopefully I’ll have access to a rack next time.[/quote]

Every smith I’ve ever seen has movable parts to restrict ROM, you should be able to get fairly close and if not put a board/step/plate under the seat to get closer.

[quote]Scott M wrote:

[quote]Matsa wrote:
Did this today and it was very nice, I think I will keep it for some time. Sadly, all the racks were occupied so I ended up using the smith so I couldn’t use a real dead start, not sure how much that matters though. Hopefully I’ll have access to a rack next time.[/quote]

Every smith I’ve ever seen has movable parts to restrict ROM, you should be able to get fairly close and if not put a board/step/plate under the seat to get closer.[/quote]

This smith doesn’t, one of the few complaints I actually have with this gym. I did pause at the bottom though even if I still had to support the weight. Thanks for the advice though.

[quote]Scott M wrote:

[quote]Matsa wrote:

Every smith I’ve ever seen has movable parts to restrict ROM, you should be able to get fairly close and if not put a board/step/plate under the seat to get closer.[/quote]

Tried these initially in the Smith and it was cool, BUT once I did them off the pins in the cage from a dead stop there is no comparison. Excellent exercise. Just need to be careful with the elbows!

Did these for the 1st time on saturday, gym finally has a rack.

Hoping these will have a carryover to my sucky overhead.