Can You Lift It? Yes I Can!

Thursday workout: After-work special

Felt pretty beat up after-work and really wasn’t looking forward to this but things actually went quite well.
Took my father to the gym again today.

Pause squats: 6x1 @ 140kg, 150kg, 160kg, 170kg, 180kg, 190kg
Back off sets: 3x8 @ 120kg

Accessory:
Smith OHP: 12 @ 60kg, 10 @ 70kg, 6 @ 80kg
Pull ups: 3x8 @ BW, 5kg, 10kg

super-set cable curls and face pulls.

So something I’ve recently learnt: I’m quite posterior dominant in the squat (read: my quads need some love!)
I’m going to add in some extra work for them and some extra chest work (maybe leg extensions or leg press and some pause bench)
Who knows I might even get passed the DYEL stage then.

You can pause squat 190kg and you haven’t passed that stage yet? Lol if I could squat that I reckon I’d look staunch as!

2 Likes

Haha I’ve just got a big arse.

2 Likes

Another Monday workout: (another Public holiday in Canberra :smile:)
Parents left to go back to Melbourne this morning.
Felt a bit sick before heading to the gym.

Squats: 6x2 @ 140kg, 150kg, 160kg, 170kg, 180kg, 190kg

Accessory:
Googmornings: 2x20 @ 80kg
Pause Bench: 3x5 @ 70kg, 80kg, 90kg

Superseted face pulls and tricep pushdowns

Was lucky enough to hear about this guys plan to build muscle at the gym, I think hes got the right idea (compound movements) but just lacks intensity (He managed to take phone calls through half his sets)

3 Likes

images (3)

2 Likes

Tuesday workout: Push focus
Knees are feeling a bit beat up recently.

OHP: 15 @ 45kg, 12 @ 55kg, 10 @ 60kg

accessory:
Pull ups: 10 @ BW, 8 @ 10kg, 6 @ 20kg
Leg press: Kept adding 20kg plates till I got bored then went for a top set got 15 reps.

Face pulls and curls.

The gym was pretty empty tonight so I took the liberty of curling in the squat rack, got to say I enjoyed it.

1 Like

I would highly recommend competing.

I will try to follow along a bit, we have pretty similar stats other than your strict OHP.

1 Like

In the spirt of honesty, I’m currently trying to learn the push press after I saw your log (when you hit 285lbs I think)
I was like " shit I’d look like a total bad ass with that kind of weight above my head" lol

Kinda suck at it though.
I’ve found a place where I think they hold novice comps, so I’m going to check that out.

1 Like

Overhead in strongman means anything goes technique wise. Without leg drive, you’re leaving pounds on the table. I’d love a bigger strict press, but I’d love to win pressing events even more. Keep practicing and it’ll pay off.

2 Likes

Thursday workout: Fixing the push press

Push press: 3x1 @ 60kg, 70kg, 80kg (Felt so much easier than standard OHP)
A bunch @ 50kg (trying to get technique right)

Spent way to much time working on my push press, I figured out what my issue is though.
I fail to get under the bar properly unless I’m really focusing on it, which became harder to do as the weight got heavier.

Accessory:
Pause squat: 5x1 @ 140kg, 150kg, 160kg, 170kg, 180kg
Bent Over Row: 15 @ 90kg, 12 @ 100kg, 10 @ 110kg

lateral raises and leg extensions superset

There’s this middle aged balding dude who brings his daughter to the gym and proceeds to grease off any guy who gets within 10 feet of her. I need to change gyms.

1 Like

Sunday workout: Squat focus
TVT is back. Squats: 20 reps @ 167.5kg (4-3-3-3-3-4)
Pretty sure my hips are out of whack (right leg feels longer than the left), going to ring the Chiro tomorrow and see if I can get in.

Accessory:
Good Mornings: 2x12 @ 90kg
Dips: 30 @ BW, 20 @ 10kg, 12 @ 20kg

Faces pulls, tricep pushdowns and hammer curls tri-set.

Funny story:
Pre gym I decided to cook.
I was making a curry and because I’m an idiot I forgot I was de-seeding a chili and rubbed my eye with the back of my hand.
worst.pain.ever. Hell of a preworkout though :wink:

2 Likes

OHP: 20 reps @ 67.5kg (4-3-3-3-3-2-2)

Accessory:
Pull ups: 3x8 @ 10kg
DB Lunges: 2x20 @ 35kg

Giant set Shrugs, face-pulls, lateral raises and curls.

Went to see the Chiro yesterday, everything’s felling good again.

1 Like

Wednesday workout: Working on the Push Press
So my technique is getting a little better but my triceps are still weak AF.

30 mins Technique/Speed work
Pin press at sticking point: 5x5 @ 50kg ( probably shouldn’t do this the day after heavy presses)

Ah well I’ll just squat and curl tomorrow or something, maybe skip pressing.

1 Like

Thursday workout: Deadlift and guns
Was feeling worn out after work, so I subbed in lower volume, higher intensity deadlifts (whats more awesome than picking up heavy shit off the ground? lol)
Got me out of my funk pretty quick

RDL: 3x5 @ 140kg, 160kg, 180kg
Pause Deadlift: 4x3 @ 140kg, 150kg, 160kg, 170kg

Accessory:

Tricep push down and curls drop sets.

Guy came into the gym today and was chatting on the phone… IN THE CURL RACK!!
politely asked him to move so I could do some curls… I mean its the only curl rack we have

2 Likes

Sunday workout: Squat focus
Didn’t eat nearly enough today and was running late to the gym.

Squats: Top set @ 165kg (9 reps)

Accessory:
Pin press: triples @ 50kg, 55kg, 60kg, 65kg

circuit: kettle bell swings, pull ups and face pulls x3

1 Like

Running late again.

OHP: 2x8, 1x7 @ 62.5kg
Almost blacked out on the 7th rep of the last set (apparently I need to breath more than once, who knew)

Accessory:
ATG high bar squat: 3x5 @ 120kg, 140kg, 155kg
Pullups: 3x10 @ BW

tricep push downs and face pull super set.

Notes:
I need to remember to breath
ATG squats suck, my quads are weak
with my elbow sleeves on my wrists I looked kinda like Cell from DBZ ( did my best DBZ impersonation :sunglasses:)

2 Likes

:100::100::100::100::100:

2 Likes

Thursday workout: more squats
Squat: 5x3-7 @ 150kg (started with 3 reps added one more every set)
Pause squat: 3x1 @ 160kg, 170kg, 180kg

Accessory:
Pin Press: 3x5 @ 40kg, 50kg 60kg 1x3 @ 65kg
Bent over row: 4x10 @ 60kg, 80kg, 100kg, 120kg

Note:
Found a picture of myself pre-lifting and wow do I look different, my hair cut was so bad lol

Slight rant:
I can’t understand people who come to the gym and never improve on anything.
Why pay to look/perform the same year after year
Lifting isn’t even that complicated, we can science it up all we want but it all boils down to the same simple idea.lift heavy shit. Eat proper food. Rest and recover.

I genuinely think most people don’t progress because they’ve given up before they really get started “oh I don’t want to get too big”
Like doing an extra set of curls is going to result in you looking like Mr Olympia.

1 Like

I knew a bloke once who went to the gym 2-3 days a week. I asked him how his lifts were coming along one day as he hadn’t really changed much in the year I had known him. His response was basically “yeah pretty good, I just go in there pick my weights and punch the clock. I don’t want to get any bigger or stronger so I grab the same weights every time”.

I was literally speechless. I hadn’t been lifting long but even I knew that progressive overload is the name of the game.

FYI the bloke is about 70kg at 5’9 and definitely not shredded ie he really could have used some more progressive overload… Lol

2 Likes

I normally only get down to the gym 2-3 times a week, still upset I haven’t made the leader (attendance) board.

who the hell goes 39 times in a month!