T Nation

Can You Lend a Pencil?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XURRzofbMc0&feature=related

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XURRzofbMc0&feature=related [/quote]

OK 'Hova, why the thread?

someone posted it on another board, figured I’d share and see others reactions :shrug:

Now I know where that episodeof Boondocks comes from.

I remember this from a long while back. Seems to me that the teacher sincerely thought he was doing nothing wrong, as stupid as that is. It’s commons knowledge that no white person can use any form of the N-word, no matter what the circumstances are. I’m just surprised the teacher didn’t say, “It’s okay, I have black friends, and they let me say it!”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpehObw4Ebw&feature=related

Poor teacher! He just wanted to be cool,he just wanted do talk like the kids “from da hood”
He didn’t deserve all that

N-Word with an “a” replacing the er … please

while the teacher should not have said it given his professional position, he does have a valid point that the word is commonly used among black students.

It seems to me that this should not be a racial issue, but rather a professional issue–no different then any other unprofessional conduct.

Black people can pull the race card for the n word when they stop using it themselves… until then, this is a childish, petty word game.

[quote]stokedporcupine wrote:
Black people can pull the race card for the n word when they stop using it themselves… until then, this is a childish, petty word game. [/quote]

Damn straight.

Teacher had a serious lapse of judgment. That being said schools are government property so shouldn’t his 1st amendment right be protected? Then again using it lacks professionalism so… The whole thing is stupid but the Boondock episode was pretty funny.

[quote]GhorigTheBeefy wrote:
Teacher had a serious lapse of judgment. That being said schools are government property so shouldn’t his 1st amendment right be protected? Then again using it lacks professionalism so… The whole thing is stupid but the Boondock episode was pretty funny.[/quote]

There’s no way I could be a teacher. Your hands are tied when it comes to actually interacting with the kids on any level deeper than what is listed in the curriculum. You could get along with each student on a level like a counselor, and still any off center remark could reach the ears of some lunatic parent and destroy your career.

I had teachers who used to cuss in class in high school. My parents never heard about it and no one got fired.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
I had teachers who used to cuss in class in high school. My parents never heard about it and no one got fired.[/quote]

And you are much younger than me.

Teachers used to be wicked back when public schools were actually in the education business.

I never considered telling my parents what my teachers used to say and do to some of the kids.

Oddly enough, we never had any shootings, or any of that Columbine shit, either.

Lots of my teachers do/did swear at my school. Kids think theyre cool, no one snitches. Simple.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
GhorigTheBeefy wrote:

Teacher had a serious lapse of judgment. That being said schools are government property so shouldn’t his 1st amendment right be protected? Then again using it lacks professionalism so… The whole thing is stupid but the Boondock episode was pretty funny.

There’s no way I could be a teacher. Your hands are tied when it comes to actually interacting with the kids on any level deeper than what is listed in the curriculum. You could get along with each student on a level like a counselor, and still any off center remark could reach the ears of some lunatic parent and destroy your career.

I had teachers who used to cuss in class in high school. My parents never heard about it and no one got fired.[/quote]

Not to mention that teachers have to deal with hundreds of kids that don’t give a shit, don’t want to be there, and have parents that will NEVER punish them no matter what they do.

Ahh, the good ole days. When a teacher could swat you and if you told your parents, you got double.