T Nation

Can You Help Me Understand My Bloodwork Better?

21 years old. I suffer from hypothyroidism and I also take Finasteride to save my hair. My libido is kinda low and getting an erection takes a bit (maintaining it is easier). This was happening even before I started taking Fin.

Cortisol: 390 nmol/L (ref. 123-626)
FSH 11,6 IU/L (ref 1,6-9,7)
LH 7,2 IU/L (ref 0,7-7,8)
Estradiol 51 pmol/L
Progesterone 7,1 nmol/L
Prolactin 272 uIU/ml (ref 78-380)
Testosterone 35,5 nmol/L (ref 4,6-28,2)

TSH 3.71 uIU/mL (ref 0.27-4.2)

Also I am deficient in Vitamin D apparently.

What I can notice is that both T and E levels increased form Finasteride. Maybe E is cause of my problems and I should lower it? On the other hand my thyroid seems messed up and I need vitamin D.

I’m gonna discuss this with my doctor soon but I could use your guys’ opinion.

Stop taking finasteride dude, that shit is poison, go read some stories on propeciahelp.com for some more context

Did you get shbg and free T tested? Total T looks great, but really need to understand shbg to paint the full picture

What is the reference range for estrogen? 51pmol/L is ok I think

Thyriod deffinetly looks out of whack, try get some more detailed thyriod blood work done

Thanks for your concern bro, but without it I can say goodybe to my modeling career. Also guys on propeciahelp are lowkey mentally ill imho. As I said, my concerns started before Fin.

This was a free blood work so sadly they didn’t get everything tested. Should I pay for shbg test separately?

Funny how in this test it is stated that E is within normal range, but on previous test that I done in a private lab few months ago this would be above normal levels.

I don’t think they are treating my thyroid good, but I don’t understand much about it.

You could be a toupee model

I’d rather not lol

Finasteride is poison. You need to stop that shit immediately. At least apply it topically on your head do not swallel it

With Finasteride it can ruin your life in other ways, like causing debilitating physical and emotional symptoms that may not resolve after stopping the medicine. Finasteride can really cause permanent receptor damage to your brain to where hormonal treatments are ineffective.

Finasteride causes HPTA dysfunction and the men with double or triple the normal testosterone seem to be the most affected by Finasteride. There is always topical Finasteride which Empower Pharmacy compounds and there is no indication it causes problems associated with oral Finasteride.

TSH is not normal and is a problem, you have hypothyroidism and need to check actual thyroid hormones to determine if it’s hashimoto’s thyroiditis disease which is the most common. Finasteride is most likely the cause of thyroid dysfunction. You need a thyroid panel checking TSH, Free T4, Free T3, Reverse T3 and antibodies.

It wouldn’t hurt to have a iron panel done, iron deficiency can cause thyroid problems and vice versa. A lot of HMO doctors/providers usually test T3 which is a mistake and is only good at diagnosing hyperthyroidism, not hypothyroidism.

Reference ranges for TSH and thyroid hormones

Though TSH remains the most commonly used endocrine test in clinical practice, the issue of an appropriate TSH, and to a lesser extent, free T4 and free T3 reference ranges is still under debate. First of all the distribution of TSH reference range is not normal, with median values (also depending on population iodine intake) usually between 1-1.5 mU/L.

The evidence for a narrower thyrotropin reference range

It has become clear that previously accepted reference ranges are no longer valid as a result of both the development of more highly sensitive TSH assays and the appreciation that reference populations previously considered normal were contaminated with individuals with various degrees of thyroid dysfunction that served to increase mean TSH levels for the group.

Recent laboratory guidelines from the National Academy of Clinical Biochemistry indicate that more than 95% of normal individuals have TSH levels below 2.5 mU/liter. The remainder with higher values are outliers, most of whom are likely to have underlying Hashimoto thyroiditis or other causes of elevated TSH. Importantly, data indicating that African-Americans with very low incidence of Hashimoto thyroiditis have a mean TSH level of 1.18 mU/liter strongly suggest that this value is the true normal mean for a normal population.

Other thyroid markers are within normal range so I only listed TSH which is pretty high imo. I can not find a single source aside from propeciahelp that actually says Finasteride affects thyroid. I was diagnosed with hypo when I was a child.

Iron is within normal range too.

I just provided you with information that the ranges are not normal and you just told me your other thyroid hormones are normal, do not be passive and dismissive. We are here to help and if you continue to tell us your levels are normal without posting them, then we will be unable to help you.

There is a big difference between low normal and high normal, one would see symptoms and the other none. If you keep posting your levels are normal, members will move on to help the next guy because only through labs can we suggest a course of action.

So you were diagnosed with hypothyroidism as a child, so why are you not on thyroid medicine?

Those on thyroid medicine have a TSH that is almost suppressed or closer to 1.0.

1 Like

Chill dude, I didn’t have blood test with me when I was replying.

This is what I have:
TSH 3.7 (ref 0.27-4.2)
FT4 19.78 (ref 12-22)
FT3 5.83 (ref 3.1-6.8)

On the higher side of normal but surely my doctor would’ve mentioned it in all these years if it was problematic?

Thanks.

Reverse T3 can block Free T3 at the receptor and increased TSH, where is Reverse T3 testing? If you doctor isn’t regularly testing Reverse T3, this is sign you need a new doctor. I see your Free T4 and Free T3 are on the higher end, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Reverse T3 on the higher end as well.

These are the only things they ever tested. I might search for a different endo tbh.

How is this problem usually treated? Currently I am only on levothyroxine

I figured this was the case and if Reverse T3 is in fact elevated, it doesn’t sound like your thyroid levels have ever been optimal. There is a study out showing those on T4 only treatment (levothyroxine) are more likely to be on antidepressants than those who are on T3+T4 medicine do to people who have conversion disorders.

T4 only treatment is often less effective than T3+T4 medicine or T3 only treatment for those with elevated Reverse T3. If you had originally high Reverse T3, T4 only treatment (levothyroxine) is the incorrect treatment protocol.

It’s a challenge to locate good thyroid doctors theses days, thyroid is a complex beast most are unable to master.

1 Like

I appreciate your response, I will try to find a better endo.

You’re welcome and good luck. Always here to assist you.

1 Like