T Nation

Can You Gain Muscle With Extremely Low Test?

I am a male-to-female trans person and my total testosterone level was measured at 8 of whatever standards they use. Suffice to say, my testosterone levels are even very low for a cis female. I have been weightlifting for a month; however, it honestly feels like I have made zero progress. I have ate well and heartily, so I know that isn't the issue. And while I am not expecting to have the results I had when I was a male, this is quite troubling. I was hoping weightlifting would allow me to sculpt the body I want; to have some measure of control.

Anyway, I guess the question is: is it possible to even develop muscle when your testosterone levels are as low as mine are? Thank you all!!

My guess is yes; however, it will take time. One month is nothing when it comes to physical changes.

KillerDirk is a member on here and also a trans person; maybe he has some advice concerning the hormone issue.

Hi Aranda. You have me wondering where my test levels are. I have never been tested that I’m aware of. Regardless, I believe most muscle growth in women is fueled by GH, not T. So, despite comparatively super low T, women still have other hormones at work.

Progress tends to be slow in women. Think more about where you’ll be in 6 months or a year from now. Visual progress from month to month is really incremental, and women who don’t eat enough or don’t eat adequate protein, often don’t see any appreciable gains in the mirror. BUT sure, you can build muscle as a woman.

Some of the women who seem to make really dramatic progress - like women pictured in before and after pics for supplement company ads for example - Most were already athletic who had a foundation of muscle, and so when you see something really dramatic over 6-8 weeks or something like that, it’s usually people who just lost body fat to uncover muscle that was already there.

Keep at it. Best of luck!

(note: I’m a male) When I first got my t levels tested seven years ago (I’m 29 now), my t level was 33. I was squatting 320 that morning for reps after having only been training for a little over a year (imagine my surprise…). So yes, it’s possible. You’ve only been weightlifting for a month: this is something that takes years, though you should be seeing some level of progress.

You should probably start with whether you are lifting with intensity and focus if you think your diet is in check, and after that find whether your diet is truly in check.

There are some amazingly powerful looking women out there, so presumably you could match or exceed their progress with patience and hard work. There are some impressive women posters who have training logs on this site, which might provide some inspiration.

One month is a really short time to expect to see any noticeable physique changes.

Best wishes on your journey

With low T levels as a male it can be more difficult, and still do-able but the more important thing would be to address it as soon as possible because extremely low test levels are not healthy for total health aside from muscle mass. For females I am sure it is a bit different as the hormones are of a different nature in certain ways. You can do it just remember patience, It takes time to make real and noticable changes to your physique but its worth the work and time!

Yes you can, and I speak from experience. I only recently managed to get my t levels back up with a clomid restart. Remember that insulin and not test is the most anabolic hormone. That’s why I’d never go low carb in your situation, but of course you need to address the underlying issue here.

[quote]juverulez wrote:
Yes you can, and I speak from experience. I only recently managed to get my t levels back up with a clomid restart. Remember that insulin and not test is the most anabolic hormone. That’s why I’d never go low carb in your situation, but of course you need to address the underlying issue here.[/quote]

I’d love to hear the details of that clomid restart if you don’t mind starting a thread about it

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]juverulez wrote:
Yes you can, and I speak from experience. I only recently managed to get my t levels back up with a clomid restart. Remember that insulin and not test is the most anabolic hormone. That’s why I’d never go low carb in your situation, but of course you need to address the underlying issue here.[/quote]

I’d love to hear the details of that clomid restart if you don’t mind starting a thread about it[/quote]

Probably not worth starting a thread on its own. I had excessive stress/overtraining induced low t. Currently using 12.5 mg of clomid ED with good results, including morning wood, slight leaning out effect (most likely but blocking the action of some E receptors), higher motivation and overall well-being. Not to mention crazy loads, apologies if that’s TMI

[quote]juverulez wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]juverulez wrote:

I’d love to hear the details of that clomid restart if you don’t mind starting a thread about it[/quote]

Probably not worth starting a thread on its own. I had excessive stress/overtraining induced low t. Currently using 12.5 mg of clomid ED with good results, including morning wood, slight leaning out effect (most likely but blocking the action of some E receptors), higher motivation and overall well-being. Not to mention crazy loads, apologies if that’s TMI
[/quote]

cool man, interesting to know