T Nation

Can You Drink Too Much Water?

basically i wondered what is the optimol amount to drink a day when training 4-5 times a week, going for power?

i drink about 8 litres on non training day, i carry about a 2 litre plastic bottle and usually empty it 4 times. on training days its 10 litres. i dnt force it down or nething just sip away at it.

weighing 286 pounds atm.

The search function is at the top of the page

As long as you don’t feel full or drown yourself, I’m sure you’ll be ok.

I drink 3-5L on non-training days, and 5-8L on training days.

interesting note: Most of the symptoms of dehydration and OVERhydration are the same. That’s your fun fact for the day.

yes, you can.

will 99.99% of the population ever reach that point, no.

Per the all knowing intarnet:

"The kidneys of a healthy adult can process fifteen liters of water a day! You are unlikely to suffer from water intoxication, even if you drink a lot of water, as long as you drink over time as opposed to intaking an enormous volume at one time. As a general guideline, most adults need about three quarts of fluid each day.

Much of that water comes from food, so 8-12 eight ounce glasses a day is a common recommended intake. You may need more water if the weather is very warm or very dry, if you are exercising, or if you are taking certain medications. The bottom line is this: it’s possible to drink too much water, but unless you are running a marathon or an infant, water intoxication is a very uncommon condition."

There was a radio contest to win a nintendo wii and what you had to do was drink lots of water without peeing.

The woman who won the contest died the next day. So yeah, there is a thing such as too mcuh water.

[quote]bobo86 wrote:
There was a radio contest to win a nintendo wii and what you had to do was drink lots of water without peeing.

The woman who won the contest died the next day. So yeah, there is a thing such as too mcuh water.[/quote]

got an article on this? find that hard to believe within one day. Could have been due to not peeing, rather than just too much water.

excess water can flush out b-vitamins and other water soluble ones, but it would usually take a while for it to effect the body.

Yes, it was due to not peeing and she drank GALLONS (plural) is a very short span of hours. What she did is not physically achievable unless someone is making a conscious effort to do so.

She wasn’t allowed to pee. That example is always used in a discussion like this but its pointless and wrong.

http://www.news10.net/display_story.aspx?storyid=23350

Plus, take into account, she was just standing around, not sweating…not peeing…just sitting and drink water by the bejesus load.

Your not likely to get water toxification if you are a moving, training, peeing individual…I’d go so far as to say it’s damn near impossible. And you experience some extreme stomach sloshy discomfort before you got to the point of death.

Case Closed.

I learned in anatomy that if you drink to much water your red blood cells will burst…Im sure thats uhh not to pleasant