T Nation

Can You Compensate For Unhealthy Things You Do?

Can you live a really healthy lifestyle 80% of the time and be questionable the other 20% ?

Myself for example the "healthy" things I do:
1. 6days a week I eat very clean foods and hit my macros religiously 440 carbs 200pro 105fat

1. Hit the gym for 70 mins 4 times a week.

2. Sleep roughly 7 hours a night sometimes more on weekends.

3. Cardio 30-60min everyday in the form of walking to college

4. Alternating hot cold showers every morning which are supposably good for you.

5. Relatively lean 11-12% for now

Unhealthy things I do:

1. Get smashed once a week drink a bottle of wine and maybe 4 cans (500ml) each of beer.

2. Take Ritalin every day except when I'm hungover as prescribed by a doctor which can't be that healthy.

3. Smoke weed maybe twice a month thought its very little 1 joint or two mixed with tobacco.

Im in my early 20s and see the positives of the unhealthy things I do to outweigh the negatives.

Your unhealthy habits are pretty damn tame. I think you will be fine.

The getting smashed once a week will work itself out as you get older. It gets to a point where you don't bounce back as well, and the shittyness that follows doesn't justify doing it.

1. Beer makes you strong. "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer." -Arnold
    Just drink lots of water before, during and after drinking. Also, make sure you eat all all your meals/protein before partying.

2. If you have to mix tabaco and tweets, roll blunts. Those spliffs will kill you.

3. Ritalin is no joke. That stuff is a serious drug, that causes real issues with dependency, crazy mood swings, weight issues, etc. Drop that stuff, find some coffee and some SATIVA-style weed to get your head right.

Yea, that is pretty tame, and youth has a way of compensating for indiscretion. If you were 40 and blowing an 8ball up your nose while downing a half gallon of Jim Beam on Saturday night I'd say no, though.

In my 20's I was quite literally indestructible.

Coffee gives me horrible anxiety for some reason and ritalin makes me calm, aware focused and weirdly slightly more confident.

Sustaining a weed habit in my country would be very expensive not to mention dealing with dealers.

I have been pretty much been getting smashed once a week since I was 14 to now so 7 years of stressing my body and I have always thought its gonna catch up to me one day.

Can you do this? Of course. You're literally doing it already.

The question nestled in here, it seems, is actually "is this lifestyle a good idea" or "will I regret this" or something to that effect. And the answer is...it depends on your life, your dreams, your goals. What you describe sounds like a pretty good life. If your goal is to be an Olympia competitor or make a living as a professional athlete...probably need to change things a little bit. If you want to be a happy, healthy, good-looking regular Joe who can take his shirt off at the beach and have a good time, you're doing just fine.

Please, please be cautious using drugs that make you feel calm and confident, daily.

You can't compensate and achieve perfect health but you can compensate enough to be in great shape.

Of your "bad" habits, you can easily improve upon them and have basically the same recreational result. If you've got to get smashed every weekend it's better to do so with the hard stuff than beer & wine. The alcohol that gets you drunk is ethanol. Booze such as whiskey, vodka and tequila, especially high quality brands, are distilled to purify the ethanol and remove unwanted by products. Beer & wine are not distilled. So, while a glass of wine a day MIGHT be healthy, when you drink the enough to get smashed you're getting way too much methanol, glycerol, and other metabolites from the fermentation process that aren't good for you. If you just want to get drunk go for the key ingredient and it is in the hard stuff. I recommend Buffalo Trace it's smooth, easy to drink, not too expensive and easy to find.

As mentioned, drop smoking tobacco, there's no way to compensate for taking that shit into your lungs. For the pot, it's so easy to get it in edible form these days so why not? Just get some canna butter, cookies or some kind of gonja juice to save your lungs. You can't undo damage to your alveoli.

ChaseLA
3h
SkyzykS:
Yea, that is pretty tame, and youth has a way of compensating for indiscretion. If you were 40 and blowing an 8ball up your nose while downing a half gallon of Jim Beam on Saturday night I'd say no, though.

In my 20's I was quite literally indestructible.
I have been pretty much been getting smashed once a week since I was 14 to now so 7 years of stressing my body and I have always thought its gonna catch up to me one day.

It can if the partying/getting smashed gets out of hand. I've never seen anybody suffer from recreational or occasional unwinding, but when it becomes a regular repertoire of booze, weed, narcotics etc. The cumulative effect is too much.

Best way to find out is to let go of the party time for a while and see if anything changes for the better. If not, it's a null issue.

Just make sure the drug use doesn't escalate into injecting heroin into your nono

I would say no but you'll be fine.

20s for me was 3 day benders, ecstasy, cheap coke, ketamine and partying up at illegal raves outside Glasgow

That was the weekends

Weekdays consisted of beer and smoking copious amounts of soapbar hash via 'buckets'

All complimented with no exercise whatsoever

Pretty lame stuff all round and it never did me any harm

I think you'll do fine OP

haha, it was great being in your 20s and living in Glasgow eh?

Man, some of the stupid shit we did...

If you feel fine/training is going good you're good.

1) This is not healthy, but fuck, you're in college. Have fun and enjoy life. Once age (those hangovers, uh...), work and family issues come, you'll notice that months can go by without any drinking besides couple beers/glass of wines now and then.

2) I think this is the most serious one. If not medical necessity, drop it (or at leas lower the dose).

3) Weed couple times a month? You'll be fine. If you want to limit the health damage drop out the tobacco or use vaporizer/bake some muffins.

In the end it is impossible to say how much healthy habits overcome bad ones. Health is a complex thing where everywhere is connected. But your habits seems okay for a college student. And if you feel that partying is worth of the damage you're doing to your body, go for it. You're still young, and have lot of good healthy habits in your life too (which is not often the case when talking about peoples in modern civilizations).

I still live it up from time to time, but it definitely gets harder to as you get older. I can't do alot of the shit I used to do and get away with it. But drinking once a week is just fine if your goals aren't absurdly high. The weed doesn't make any difference, plenty of lifters use weed more often than that. It's almost certainly better than drinking a lot. I can't comment on the ritalin.

That would be cool if you could eat a good food with a bad food and the good food would cover for the bad food when it got to your stomach. Like, you could eat a carrot with an onion ring and then they would travel down to your stomach, then when they get there, the carrot would say, β€œIt’s cool, he’s with me.”
~Mitch Hedberg

I pretty much use the word "Ooops" a lot in life and do better when I realize. But sometimes I do it when I want to rebel. Life is good like that.

CLUNK, I adore Mitch Hedberg. Him talking about buying a donut and declining the receipt. There is no need to bring ink and paper into this transaction. I do not know when I would ever have to prove I purchased a donut. =)

LOL! One of the good ones (the joke, and the man).
RIP Mitch!