Can You Change the Way the Forum Looks?

nm, i see it’s under the “sex and life” category now

[quote]angry chicken wrote:
For all of you that ever PM me, SORRY - now that I can’t see my inbox, I doubt I’ll be as prompt with getting back to people.

C’mon Mods! Why fuck up a good thing?[/quote]

1. Scroll over the Your Account link at the top of the page. It’s all in there.

2. The Mods have nothing to do with the way the site is laid out / programmed. Don’t need them catching flack for something they are not responsible for.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
nm, i see it’s under the “sex and life” category now[/quote]

Exactly.

WIth this new layout, everything is accessible from any section of the site. Fewer top-level categories help to better define what the main areas of the site are.

Also the new search should make everyone’s lives a bit easier.

And it will all undergo some tuning over the next few days.

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

I really dislike this new layout. The team here needs to learn how to A/B test, instead of just throwing changes out all at once, without utilizing test data to support a change.

I think there’s a laundry list of other things they could work on instead of constantly changing the link layout and section display.[/quote]

We’ve done public betas, etc, in the past. Had mixed results. Basically it didn’t gain us much. No matter what, we still have people that freak out with the changes. And like all of those times, these latest changes will become very familiar very fast.

It will also invariably undergo some tweaks in the coming days.

And as for that Laundry list: you have no idea. We are always working on tons of things, from bugs to features, big and small.

Probably a waste to say it, but expect big changes in 2011.

Of all the posts making suggestions on how to improve the site, this is the one the mods act on. Wow.

[quote]LowfatMatt wrote:

Exactly.

WIth this new layout, everything is accessible from any section of the site. Fewer top-level categories help to better define what the main areas of the site are.

And it will all undergo some tuning over the next few days.[/quote]

Matt, they are right about the private messages. If we can’t see them, we can’t know we have new ones.

[quote]LowfatMatt wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

I really dislike this new layout. The team here needs to learn how to A/B test, instead of just throwing changes out all at once, without utilizing test data to support a change.

I think there’s a laundry list of other things they could work on instead of constantly changing the link layout and section display.[/quote]

We’ve done public betas, etc, in the past. Had mixed results. Basically it didn’t gain us much. No matter what, we still have people that freak out with the changes. And like all of those times, these latest changes will become very familiar very fast.

It will also invariably undergo some tweaks in the coming days.

And as for that Laundry list: you have no idea. We are always working on tons of things, from bugs to features, big and small.

Probably a waste to say it, but expect big changes in 2011.[/quote]

I appreciate your honesty, but public betas are only the tip of the testing iceberg. The one thing that seems odd is that the changes haven’t really made anything easier or more efficient, they just continue to put things in different places.

I enjoy this community and will continue to post and reply no matter what, but it seems more logical to implement changes that improve user experience, instead of ones that simply shift old features or layout into different places.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]LowfatMatt wrote:

Exactly.

Matt, they are right about the private messages. If we can’t see them, we can’t know we have new ones.[/quote]

They should have an icon popup over the “Your Account” text when there is a new message.

Either way, I like the new layout as I said before, it looks good.

[quote]LowfatMatt wrote:

Exactly.

Matt, they are right about the private messages. If we can’t see them, we can’t know we have new ones.[/quote]

I think you can hover on Your Account and it’ll show you if you have any new messages.

[quote]RSGZ wrote:

[quote]LowfatMatt wrote:

Exactly.

Either way, I like the new layout as I said before, it looks good.[/quote]

Form is far different from function, and this new layout only makes things more complicated. It’s harder to see the forum lists, it’s harder to navigate back to the original forum section that you had been browsing, you can’t see your new messages, and in general nothing was made more ergonomic or user friendly.

[quote]LowfatMatt wrote:

Exactly.

At the top right, there is a link that reads Your Account. Roll over that and you’ll get a drop down of all your messaging and Hub options.

[quote]RSGZ wrote:

[quote]LowfatMatt wrote:

Exactly.

They should have an icon popup over the “Your Account” text when there is a new message.

Either way, I like the new layout as I said before, it looks good.[/quote]

A new message indicator like this is something we will be considering.

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

I appreciate your honesty, but public betas are only the tip of the testing iceberg. The one thing that seems odd is that the changes haven’t really made anything easier or more efficient, they just continue to put things in different places.

I enjoy this community and will continue to post and reply no matter what, but it seems more logical to implement changes that improve user experience, instead of ones that simply shift old features or layout into different places.
[/quote]

Like I said, more changes are on the way.

[quote]LowfatMatt wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[/quote]

Like I said, more changes are on the way.[/quote]

Yeah, but are there more changes on the way?

I agree that there should be a new message indicator. I will probably not think to hover over “My Account” unless I have some sort of reminder or motivation.

As usual, my main concern is whether this new layout is going to be more difficult on the iphone. I think as long as the drop downs don’t disappear while I’m trying to click on a subcategory, it will be fine, just different.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]LowfatMatt wrote:

Yeah, but are there more changes on the way?[/quote]

Nope.

I thought there was gonna be change??? OBAMAAAAAAAAA!!!

[quote]pushmepullme wrote:
I agree that there should be a new message indicator. I will probably not think to hover over “My Account” unless I have some sort of reminder or motivation.

As usual, my main concern is whether this new layout is going to be more difficult on the iphone. I think as long as the drop downs don’t disappear while I’m trying to click on a subcategory, it will be fine, just different.[/quote]

Works perfect in Android. I believe iPhone is fine as well. Please let me know if you see issues.

[quote]LowfatMatt wrote:

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]LowfatMatt wrote:

Yeah, but are there more changes on the way?[/quote]

Nope.[/quote]

and now we’ve come full circle.

shlanghorn.

totally freaking out about the new changes.

But with a little help and patience, I am accepting the new changes

Embracing them.

I like them now.

Whew.

What an emotional rollercoaster this has been.

peace, love and happiness abounds.

the world is turning once again.