T Nation

Can Weightlifting Cause APT?

Not an injury/rehab question and I know that strengthening the inhibited antagonist muscle can cure APT.

I've been noticing that the powerlifters in my gym seems to have anterior pelvic tilt. Maybe the huge ass and protruding gut create the illusion but they also have "duck feet", i.e. the toes pointing outward when walking. In my experience, APT causes my feet/toes to point outward. As I bring the hip to more neutral position, the feet are more parallel to each other (but my knees feel somewhat uncomfortable).

Do you think there's any chance for this to happen? Or perhaps they just have APT since the first time and it just persists until this day. The weightlifters seem to be more normal but they are also leaner.

Any repeated activity that causes shortening of the hip flexors can cause APT. This can be sitting for extended periods of time or any other exercise or activity that results in prolong periods of hip flexion or over activation of hip flexors without proper activation of hip extensors.

This is just a VERY vague and minimal summary of what potentially can cause the APT, as there are many other factors as well - tight QL, hip rotation ROM deficits, thoracic spine ROM deficits, etc.

To answer your questions: The powerlifters you mentioned probably have the "duck feet" more due to the typical powerlifter squat position - wide stand, externally rotated hips/femurs, toe pointed out. I don't see weightlifting "causing APT" - it is more due to not maintaining proper mobility, soft tissue quality, muscle balance, etc. So for a more correct statement, it would be something like "improperly balanced and structure weightlifting, along with poor daily habits, have the potential to cause APT".