Can Weightlifting Be a Spiritual Path?

At the risk of getting slammed for such a random question, I pose this question to you: Can weightlifting be a spiritual path? After all, if we look to the East, we can see that the various Asian martial arts have a spiritual component. Why or why not weightlifting?

[quote]entheogens wrote:
At the risk of getting slammed for such a random question, I pose this question to you: Can weightlifting be a spiritual path? After all, if we look to the East, we can see that the various Asian martial arts have a spiritual component. Why or why not weightlifting?[/quote]

Sounds a tad New Age to me…

At the risk of getting slammed, my faith and spirituality are reserved for my Creator. His grace and blessing allow me to do all things, including weightlifting.

John 3:16

[quote]Polish Rifle wrote:
entheogens wrote:
At the risk of getting slammed for such a random question, I pose this question to you: Can weightlifting be a spiritual path? After all, if we look to the East, we can see that the various Asian martial arts have a spiritual component. Why or why not weightlifting?

Sounds a tad New Age to me…

At the risk of getting slammed, my faith and spirituality are reserved for my Creator. His grace and blessing allow me to do all things, including weightlifting.

John 3:16[/quote]

I was going to make an Austin 3:16 joke and I saw this on wiki

Steve Williams was born Steve Anderson on December 18, 1964.[2] He was the second oldest of four brothers and one sister.[2] After his parents’ divorce, the family moved to Victoria, Texas.[2] His mother Beverly eventually married a man named Ken Williams, who became a stepfather to Steve and his siblings, who adopted his last name.[8] In a 2004 interview on T-Nation.com he revealed that he was an avid reader in his youth and had in fact taken the name Austin from his literary hero Jane Austen, mearly changing the ‘E’ to an ‘I’ in tribute to his adopted home.

Does anyone have a link to this interview?

I guess it’s spiritual for me. I’m not a religious man, but I’ve often said that the gym is ‘my church’.

Spiritual for me? No, not really. But I do go there on Sunday morning and it has taught me alot about myself, what I’m made of and stuff like that.

I think it has to be. No one lifts weights because it’s fun.

It’s a sanctuary, a place to recharge, clear my head, etc. Maybe some people get that from church or prayer. It would be more of a church if I could bring in a gospel choir for backup…that would be pretty cool.

I don’t think it could be a spiritual path, at least not on a scale beyond the individual…you think Jews and Muslims don’t get along? Imagine raw v. geared!

yes.
not as in “worshipping”, but as a facilitator of meditation and visualization.
“discipline” is what “disciples” practice.
I don’t put training before my spiritual beliefs though.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
I think it has to be. No one lifts weights because it’s fun. [/quote]

I do.

[quote]pushmepullme wrote:
It’s a sanctuary, a place to recharge, clear my head, etc. [/quote]

This is definitely true for me. I sometimes feel more comfortable at my gym than I do at home. It’s my ‘base’. I definitely use it to clear my head and get my frustrations out.

…and I do lift weights for fun. I’ve always enjoyed my time in the gym. It’s rare when I’m not looking forward to a workout.

It is our Budo.

One of many.

[quote]miroku333 wrote:
analog_kid wrote:

I do.[/quote]

Play more Xbox.

Not so much a spiritual path but a place where I feel safe with my agression (sp?). Shit, if I learned how to spell I wouldn’t be so angry!! (^:

I think weight lifting is probally the safest bet where i now I will have fun. I get to move heavy stuff and grunt but really get to bitch about my day and just hang out with the guys before going home.

and i dont find it spirtual at all

Spritual, no, but I believe it is therapeutic for the soul. I was born and raised in California, went to college in Texas, studied abroad in England, went to law school in Nebraska, and recently moved back to California. I have left friends or family behind at every location.

And while the places and people in my life have changed, the weights have been a constant. A squat rack is a squat rack, a plate a plate, and a barbell a barbell. They looked and felt the exact same in Oxford as they did in San Antonio. No matter where I am or who I’m with, I will always have my time with the weights.

[quote]miroku333 wrote:
analog_kid wrote:

I do.[/quote]

i 2nd that

the weight room is my church

I definately think it has a spiritual element to it.

Tai chi is meditation through movement and I think lifting is similar. When your actually lifting something heavy( operative word being heavy ) your mind is focused and free of thought. Wether your conscious of it or choose to recognise it as such is a different story…

Picking up heavy shit is definately fun and satisfying too.

The Body is a Temple. You are creating an awesome temple from which your soul may pray. Sounds spiritual to me.

Of course it is. A weight training session is like a microcosm of life: pain, pleasure, success and failure all happen during hours. I have learned so much about myself and life during my workouts that I can say that my body and mind have equally improved. The weight room is my church.