T Nation

Can We Now Trust Obama?

Now that he has repudiated his Pastor, is he trustworthy, or is it all a scam? Thoughts?

He is either dumb, or he is a fraud. I don’t think he is dumb.

Wright’s comments before the Press Club and Bill Moyers are not different in tone or radicalism than his previous comments. Why the sudden repudiation when Wright merely was offering more of the same stuff Obama defended by contextualizing?

“Judgment to Lead” has been the selling point, in lieu of Experience, actual Leadership, or actual Bi-Partisan Work.

Now that we see where Obama’s “judgment” is - the Wright soap opera, Ayers (which still remains to be blown up), Rezko, and his circle of advisors - Democrats should be angry Obama got rushed through the nomination process when a Biden or a Richardson was still available.

He has proven himself to be a typical politician. He is certainly not above it or better than the rest, just less experienced.

As t-bolt noted the Dems may regret rushing him through without fully vetting him, but that is why they have super delegates. I wouldn’t count out Clinton completely.

I trust the man completely. I trust him to lie to me for the sake of political expedience. I have never intended to vote for Obama, his recent ridiculous behaviour only reinforces my opinion that he should not win the Presidency.

Clinton and Obama have both demonstrated the willingness to ignore facts, I don’t want either of them to win. Meanwhile, McCain is acting like a man who has seen the light. I don’t particularly trust him either, but he’s at least putting forth some effort to appear to be a candidate with some degree of integrity. If he would quit attacking members of his own party and act like he was trying to win, he might even get my vote.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Would you trust a flip-flopping liar who sat front row at a Black Supremacist Church for 20 years? I sure as fuck don’t.

I think Barack is damaged goods now. People, especially white people, will always be suspicious of his true intentions…so I do think there’s a trust issue there.

Also, Barack’s biggest problem was that he tried to make himself out to be something that he couldn’t live up to. He tried to portray himself as someone who was “above” the usual politics. That’s a bunch of bull…there’s a certain game that’s played when you’re a politician and Barack is a part of it just as much as Bush, Cheney, the Clintons and everyone else. You can’t say you’re above “usual politics” when you’re knee deep in it.

The Democratic party has discovered a new way to self-implode. The Repubs can sit back and watch the debacle.

[quote]gatesoftanhauser wrote:
…a Black Supremacist Church…[/quote]

now thats funny.

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:
gatesoftanhauser wrote:
…a Black Supremacist Church…

now thats funny.

[/quote]

Their ideology of hate is funny to you? Sorry not to me.

[quote]gatesoftanhauser wrote:
Big_Boss wrote:
gatesoftanhauser wrote:
…a Black Supremacist Church…

now thats funny.

Their ideology of hate is funny to you? Sorry not to me.[/quote]

the ideology of this whole “white people-hating” church is.

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:
gatesoftanhauser wrote:
…a Black Supremacist Church…

now thats funny.

[/quote]

Somewhat true.

I think pastors like Wright are hampering the progress of the black community by focusing attention on all the negative stuff. I’m not trying to marginalize what African Americans have gone through, but what good comes from accusing “White America” of spreading AIDS in Africa!? How is that constructive?

African Americans need to wake up and reailze that people like this are holding them back. This person has probably sabotaged one of the first real opportunities for a black person to be president. If I was black I think I’d be pissed to see this guy running his mouth like this. I can’t figure out why this guy feels the need to kamikaze Barack’s campaign. Very odd.

[quote]Digity wrote:
Big_Boss wrote:
gatesoftanhauser wrote:
…a Black Supremacist Church…

now thats funny.

Somewhat true.

I think pastors like Wright are hampering the progress of the black community by focusing attention on all the negative stuff. I’m not trying to marginalize what African Americans have gone through, but what good comes from accusing “White America” of spreading AIDS in Africa!? How is that constructive?

African Americans need to wake up and reailze that people like this are holding them back. This person has probably sabotaged one of the first real opportunities for a black person to be president. If I was black I think I’d be pissed to see this guy running his mouth like this. I can’t figure out why this guy feels the need to kamikaze Barack’s campaign. Very odd.[/quote]

Now I can understand your argument…I wouldn’t go as far as to say that this is a whole black supremacist,racist ordeal,BUT I don’t agree with the things Rev.Wright says.

Pastors like Wright do not speak for us or the black community. That would be like me saying that Rush Limbaugh or Anne Coulter speaks for all white people. Pastors like him may mean well,but use the pulpit for their own agenda’s way too much IMO. Hell…that one sermon was at a funeral…that was crazy too me. Anyways…

If he’s hampering anybody’s progress its Obama’s progress…not black people as a whole. Not every black person is voting for Obama…or even likes Obama. Can’t blame Pastor Wright on this one…he is who he is. Obama should of handled this better IMO.

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:
Digity wrote:
Big_Boss wrote:
gatesoftanhauser wrote:
…a Black Supremacist Church…

now thats funny.

Somewhat true.

I think pastors like Wright are hampering the progress of the black community by focusing attention on all the negative stuff. I’m not trying to marginalize what African Americans have gone through, but what good comes from accusing “White America” of spreading AIDS in Africa!? How is that constructive?

African Americans need to wake up and reailze that people like this are holding them back. This person has probably sabotaged one of the first real opportunities for a black person to be president. If I was black I think I’d be pissed to see this guy running his mouth like this. I can’t figure out why this guy feels the need to kamikaze Barack’s campaign. Very odd.

Now I can understand your argument…I wouldn’t go as far as to say that this is a whole black supremacist,racist ordeal,BUT I don’t agree with the things Rev.Wright says.

Pastors like Wright do not speak for us or the black community. That would be like me saying that Rush Limbaugh or Anne Coulter speaks for all white people. Pastors like him may mean well,but use the pulpit for their own agenda’s way too much IMO. Hell…that one sermon was at a funeral…that was crazy too me. Anyways…

If he’s hampering anybody’s progress its Obama’s progress…not black people as a whole. Not every black person is voting for Obama…or even likes Obama. Can’t blame Pastor Wright on this one…he is who he is. Obama should of handled this better IMO.

[/quote]

Good point, not everyone in the black community obviously follows this guy. Although, I wonder if the majority would defend him or not.

Yes, Barack did mishandle the situation. I’d chalk that up to his lack of experience…which, ironically is the reason Clinton said he wasn’t the right candidate.

[quote]Digity wrote:
Big_Boss wrote:
Digity wrote:
Big_Boss wrote:
gatesoftanhauser wrote:
…a Black Supremacist Church…

now thats funny.

Somewhat true.

I think pastors like Wright are hampering the progress of the black community by focusing attention on all the negative stuff. I’m not trying to marginalize what African Americans have gone through, but what good comes from accusing “White America” of spreading AIDS in Africa!? How is that constructive?

African Americans need to wake up and reailze that people like this are holding them back. This person has probably sabotaged one of the first real opportunities for a black person to be president. If I was black I think I’d be pissed to see this guy running his mouth like this. I can’t figure out why this guy feels the need to kamikaze Barack’s campaign. Very odd.

Now I can understand your argument…I wouldn’t go as far as to say that this is a whole black supremacist,racist ordeal,BUT I don’t agree with the things Rev.Wright says.

Pastors like Wright do not speak for us or the black community. That would be like me saying that Rush Limbaugh or Anne Coulter speaks for all white people. Pastors like him may mean well,but use the pulpit for their own agenda’s way too much IMO. Hell…that one sermon was at a funeral…that was crazy too me. Anyways…

If he’s hampering anybody’s progress its Obama’s progress…not black people as a whole. Not every black person is voting for Obama…or even likes Obama. Can’t blame Pastor Wright on this one…he is who he is. Obama should of handled this better IMO.

Good point, not everyone in the black community obviously follows this guy. Although, I wonder if the majority would defend him or not.

Yes, Barack did mishandle the situation. I’d chalk that up to his lack of experience…which, ironically is the reason Clinton said he wasn’t the right candidate.

[/quote]

The only thing I defend is him being racist or his church being a “black supremacist” group. Which has led to this misconception that I…and others…agree with him because I defend him in that aspect only. He’s radical…not racist.

There are tons more white people that are in the political media…who by everyone’s logic as of late…should be labeled racist along with Rev.Wright.

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:
He’s radical…not racist.
[/quote]

Accusing white people in power of spreading AIDS to blacks isn’t racist in your mind? I think he’s both racist and radical.

I am even more confused now than I ever was about Obama.

Obama coming out and totally renouncing Rev. Wright seemed like overkill, and unecessary. I was kind of confused, like “why does he have to do this now?” And then part of me kind of felt bad for him for having to defend himself from the words of someone else. I heard most of what Rev Wright said the other night, and I honestly don’t think any of it was worth Obama’s repudiation.

I still think he will win the democrat nomination, but he is going to have an incredibly difficult time navigating the general election. I personally can’t wait to see all the kooky shenanigans this Fall!

I trust none of these assholes to look out for anything other than themselves.

[quote]thunderbolt23 wrote:

Wright’s comments before the Press Club and Bill Moyers are not different in tone or radicalism than his previous comments. Why the sudden repudiation when Wright merely was offering more of the same stuff Obama defended by contextualizing?

[/quote]

This is what I don’t understand. What was said that hadn’t been said before? Maybe I missed something. Obama is only now repudiating (in no uncertain terms) things Wright has already said before. Has anybody asked Obama what’s changed? Because, Wright’s message isn’t new. In fact, those items Obama took Wright to task for had been quoted on this very forum before this recent episode even took place. Again, what’s changed? Poll numbers, maybe?

Edit: It’s funny, months ago I was hoping Obama would win the nomination. At the time, I also didn’t think McCain had a chance. I’d even said so on the forum. Both are far leftists (imo), but back then I would’ve rather seen Obama win the Presidency than deal with at least another 4 years of a Clinton. Of course, nowadays I’m not sure either Democrat would beat McCain. With the bang up job the Dem candidates are doing tearing each other (and themselves) up this far into the process.

[quote]Digity wrote:

I’m not trying to marginalize what African Americans have gone through,

.[/quote]

You mean “Blacks went through in past generations”, not current times. The only “African Americans” I know were born in Africa and immigrated here. Therefore, I’ve only met two African Americans. I do know plenty of Black people though.

[quote]Sloth wrote:
thunderbolt23 wrote:

Wright’s comments before the Press Club and Bill Moyers are not different in tone or radicalism than his previous comments. Why the sudden repudiation when Wright merely was offering more of the same stuff Obama defended by contextualizing?

This is what I don’t understand. What was said that hadn’t been said before? Maybe I missed something. Obama is only now repudiating (in no uncertain terms) things Wright has already said before. Has anybody asked Obama what’s changed? Because, Wright’s message isn’t new. In fact, those items Obama took Wright to task for had been quoted on this very forum before this recent episode even took place. Again, what’s changed? Poll numbers, maybe?

Edit: It’s funny, months ago I was hoping Obama would win the nomination. At the time, I also didn’t think McCain had a chance. I’d even said so on the forum. Both are far leftists (imo), but back then I would’ve rather seen Obama win the Presidency than deal with at least another 4 years of a Clinton. Of course, nowadays I’m not sure either Democrat would beat McCain. With the bang up job the Dem candidates are doing tearing each other (and themselves) up this far into the process. [/quote]

I think Obama took offense to the accusation that his previous remarks about Rev. Wright were merely political posturing, which the Reverend accused him of. Frankly, I think the Rev. was probably right about that…but the fact that he called him out on it on national TV must have pissed off Obama and that’s why he has cut ties.

Even though the reverend might have been right about the political posturing comment…you don’t call out someone like that on national TV…especially if you’re friends. Maybe the Rev. is just pissed at how he’s been treated and he’s taking it out on Obama. shrug