T Nation

Can Vitamin C Kill Muscle Growth?

Out of curiosity i’m wondering if anybody has any knowledge considering Vitamin C and muscle growth. I read a study on pubmed which said that large doses of Vitamin C “may reduce lipid peroxidation and muscle damage during high intensity training”. Anyone know what this might mean? I also read that Vitamin C lowered cortisol levels and increased DHEA levels, so it would be kinda wierd if it killed muscle growth.

I take 1g of Vitamin C every morning.

You’re fine.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
You’re fine.

[/quote]

Well, i don’t really worry about it, just want to know the mechanism behind it if it’s true.

You understand that reducing muscle damage is a good thing, right?

And, many trainers, including CT, recommend taking vitamin C after a workout.

i’ve read that taking Vitamin C in doses higher than 500mg in one shot can have undesired affects. two 500mg doses per day might be better than one large dose in the morning.

^^^ Yeah, I got to agree with that. After a rugby game I took 2 500mg and had the want to throw up.

On another note, I heard taking Vitamin C right after a workout was bad. True?

I have been staking 3 x 1000 C’s a day for years, to keep by veins and capillaries clear, zero problems.

Taking antioxidants postworkout is detrimental, but I don’t think vitamin C is one of them you have to worry about. In one of the Barticles.

CT recommends it and I remember the great arms challenge recommending it. Staley and Darden also recommend it.

why are taking AO’s PWO detrimental?
I think I saw a Barr article referenced to it, but I forget the thread it was in.

I take 2-3 grams of vitamin C a day. It’s been shown to have a variety of very positive effects for bodybuilding, especially it’s ability to inhibit cortisol production.

Did they mention what kind of vitamin C ?

Ascorbic acid can have a host of detrimental effects in high doses simply because it will require chelation in the body to become bioavailable (lots of enzymes and energy) but I don’t thik the ester and other chelated forms could cause any problem at all.

DHEA is the precursor of testosterone, cortisol is involved in inflammation, so it’s all good.

Not quite as stupid than the studies who claim to be of high respect and say something like “anti-oxidants might cause cancer after all” those idiots don’t even montion what form of vitamin they used, as if it made no difference. Some people don’t want us to understand vitamins can replace drugs if you understand them soon enough and balance the intake with whole foods.

Namase !

4 grams a day all at once never killed me.

Yeah some people have awesome enzymatic potential… This is just to say that some forms of vitamins will definately perform better. We have a common example of this in the many forms of vitamin D that appeared in the market until the Choleocalciferol one was crowned as the most bioavailable. If only more data was available, we could correlate, yet we are only fed so much each month in the medical journals. If every major food had only specific nutrient research like bee pollen has had then we could tell so many things for sure !

Namase !

Yeah i know it sounds pretty illogical, it was just a bodybuilder which told me that it might. He also showed a study which backed it up, but i can’t seem to find it.

Well well, i remember reading that the strongman Sven Karlsen used to take 30g a day when he was sick and 3-10g when he wasn’t lol.

[quote]Ahuae wrote:
Did they mention what kind of vitamin C ?

Ascorbic acid can have a host of detrimental effects in high doses simply because it will require chelation in the body to become bioavailable (lots of enzymes and energy) but I don’t thik the ester and other chelated forms could cause any problem at all.

Namase ![/quote]

I have always heard the recommendation to use Ester-C.

I took vitamin C prior to my jaw surgery and I had a good recovery. Whether the vitamin C helped or not, I’m not sure, but studies showed it helped. Bottom line, it’s suppose to help with tissue repair, which is a good thing.

I think using it for a cold/flu isn’t helpful. Once you have a cold you just have to wait it out.

Yeah it will boost your immune system , but if your inner ear is colonized already you cannot really help cause there lots of it about. When you feel a flu coming you have to keep your middle ear clean, for me a gentle mix of water, minerals, enzymes and beneficial bacterial works wonders.

30 grams of vitamin C ? Would never do that, too much of a good thing… I prefer to stick to the gram a day and eat vitamin C rich foods like small berries :slight_smile: I dunno if he’s like 400 lbs or something but that would definately matter, however our body has a tendency to react unkindly to overload in single coponents, which is why they add bioflavonoids and co-factors to vitamin ester-C.

Some russian scientists tought 90% of all flu viruses incubate in the middle ear. I guess there isn’t much difference between american and russian flu :smiley:

Namase !

People are saying that the ester-C is better than Ascorbic acid, but the ester is hard to find, and includes calcium. Maybe I’ll just eat more berries and oranges.

Good sources are the small berries like Goji, they contain something like 20 times more vitamin C by weight than oranges :slight_smile:

Ester shouldn’t be hard to find, it’s out there even in the large surface stores usually. And yes it contains calcium, and that means find a good source of magnesium and phosphorus, and always combine with good fat soluble vitamins and cofactors.

Namase !

If you want food sources with massive amounts of natural vitamin c along with all the other potentiatenint factors, get some camu-camu powder. Im sure that will rapidly help increase your recovery between post-workouts.