T Nation

Can These Be Trained for Simultaneously?

Just getting back in the gym, wanted to know your opinions on these goals and whether or not these can all be trained for simultaneously. Some of it the answer will be "obviously", but some of them friends are giving me slack about.

400m sprint under 1 minute
1.5 mile sprint under 9 minute
5 km run in under 22 minutes.
1.5x BW front squat
1.0x BW Back squat 20 reps
2.0x BW Deadlift
1.25x BW Bench
0.9-1.0x BW Military Press

Basically achieving decent Powerlifting Strength while getting some decent lung capacity and speed? Possible ?

I think these goals are totally compatible, assuming of course that you’re not in some sort of a time crunch in which these goals need to be met. Just lift on a decent program and run. 531 & westside for shinny bastards are a couple examples of programs that, in my experience, work well with running. I used 531 while training for my 10 mile race, and got faster and stronger

The goals are attainable but it might be tough to reach all of them at nearly the same time. If you can hit a 1.5x BW front squat, it’s likely you can hit the back squat and deadlift goals. If you can hit the military press goal, it’s likely you can hit the bench press goal.

When I ran cross country in high school, I could easily hit the 1.5 mile and 5 km goals but was slightly too slow to hit the 400 m sprint. I also wasn’t very strong so that could’ve helped with reaching that goal. Leg/core strength plays more of a role for the shorter distance. I agree with TX iron in having flexibility with 5/3/1 to accommodate other goals. I don’t have any experience with WS4SB but it can probably work too.

With 5/3/1, you can rotate between front squat and back squat for your squat work or use front squat as assistance work for one of the leg days. You can also use sprint workouts in place of one of the leg day assistance (I prefer this to push the sprint workouts harder) or add it on if it isn’t a taxing workout. Personally I would shoot for the strength goals and 400 m sprint first while doing long runs that aren’t too taxing on recovery (just to build work capacity and conditioning for these events). You can also alternate intensity between running and lifting. Pushing hard for all the goals at the same time may be too taxing.

I cant really answer your question, but I would be interested in what route you choose to take to achieve these goals.

Maybe start up a log in the training log section?

tweet

[quote]T wrote:
[/quote]
I have no experience in running these distances so have no idea how realistic these are.

These, on the other hand, are all very achievable. I’m pretty confident I could do 4/6 right now, and I am far, far from the strongest/best conditioned guy out there.

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

[quote]T wrote:
[/quote]
I have no experience in running these distances so have no idea how realistic these are.
[/quote]

These are tough, but acheivable. For reference, when I was in 5th grade track (my last competitive track year, haha) my best 400 was around a 1:10.

1.5 mile under 9 is a lot tougher, but achievable. Again for reference, for permission to try out for the SEALs, one of the things they look for is a 1.5 mile time of around 9 minutes.

Check out Dan John’s articles on this site.

If you did “Mass made simple” and followed it with “10, 000 kettlebell swing challenge” you’d probably be doing the perfect weight training.

I’d just add some “tempo runs” of 1/4 to 1/2 mile. Faster than a jog, slower than a sprint. So you stay familiar with distances and pace.

Bruce/Caitlin Jenner could probably offer some cool insight.

Adding onto Lift’s & Flat’s advice, you could have 3 running days, one interval (INT), one continous high-intensity (CHI), and one long slow distance (LSD).

For the INT, do say, 4-6x400. Rest 2x longer than it took to run the lap.
-Goal: improve total time of session

For CHI, warm up, then run for 15 minutes at the highest intensity you can maintain for that duration.
-Goal: increase distance.

For LSD, pick a distance, say 4 miles, and run it at an easy, conversational pace.
-Goal: normally you add distance, but for your specific goals you could focus on improving time. Just don’t make it into another sprint day.

That 400m time is pretty fast. College track bros run like 50 seconds.

Yeah, I think the 400 m and 1.5 mile goals have the greatest contrast. The 5 km run isn’t that fast for that distance and should be fairly easy if the 1.5 mile goal is attained first. To be capable of all the goals at the same time, it would probably work well to build up to that strength level (maybe slightly stronger) and then maintain that strength while improving body composition. Losing fat will help in reaching that 1.5 mile goal.

[quote]T wrote:
Basically achieving decent Powerlifting Strength while getting some decent lung capacity and speed? Possible ?[/quote]
^ This is totally possible in the general sense, with a comprehensive, well-designed training plan and a coordinated nutrition/recovery plan.

Hitting all of those specific numbers for strength and speed without specializing/focusing in either strength or conditioning/speedwork for a period is more up in the air.

thanks for all the helpful advice guys i’ll be back on later to ask a bit more kind of in a rush atm, just got back from the gym haha and have to go pick up the gf from work