T Nation

Can Synthroid Boost Test That Much?

Hi, im 19years old, 20 in 2 months. I always been suffering from tiredness, low sex drive, low motivation ,etc. After tons of doc visits, finally an endo told me I might have hypotryroidism.

MY TSH 5.5 when tested, which showed sign of hypo, but my T3 free and T4 free were mid-range. He still put me on 75mg synthroid, but two month later,no improvement. Today he doubled my dose.

But here is my concern. My testosterone last year was tested at 475. 2 month ago 450 and 2 week ago at 383. Free testosterone is always at the lowest of the range.

While talking about my shitty level to my doc, he say that hypotyroidism lower testosterone and that curing it can help boost testo. I understand that hypotyroidism cause low test, but I dont see supplement t4 as curing the problem, more like covering it. synthetic t4 is not gonna build your thyroid gland again.

So how does synthroid can help boost testo? And will it make THAT much of a change? thanks.

PS: I want to had that my cortisol scored in the mid 600. estrogen was good.

Whenever you have thyroid issues you need a full study to fully asses what’s wrong.

You need TgAB TPO antibodies and a thyroid ultrasound. Can improving the thyroid help your T levels? yes.

T3 and T4 mid range? post the results and ranges. If this is true, 5.5 TSH indicates either hashimoto, iodine deficiency, some cyst or nodule on your thyroid that could be secreting TSH and or other hormones, or a pitutiary adinoma that’s secreting TSH and possibly causing suppression of T via FSH/LH.

Check your iodine intake and body temps.

You really need more studies. Read all the stickies.

My endo didn’t test all the thing you said. He gave me blood test in 1 month, Im gonna had myself the test you propose.

2 week ago:

TSH : 5.5 mU/L----ref: 0.27-4.2
T4 free: 15.9 pmol/L---- ref: 12 -22 ( range wasn’t that high last time)
Estradiol: 85.8pmol/L
LH: 2.9 Ul/l ----- ref: 1.3-8.6
Cortisol AM: 616 nmol/L ---- ref:171-536
Testosterone: 374ng/L (13nmol/L)
Biodisponible test: 9.1 nmol/L

2 month ago:

LH : 3.3 UI/L ---- Range: 1.2-10.6
FREE TESTOSTERONE: 9.6 nmol/L ------ Range: 6.0-22.0
TOTAL TESTOSTERONE: 455ng/L(15,7nmol)
TSH: 5.32 mU/L ------ Range: 0.27-4.2
Free T3: 7,22 pmol/L ------ Range 3.3-6.1
Free T4 was around 16

Just want to add that I converted my estradiol and it came back at around 23, which like KS Man said in another thread is relatively high for my low level of testosterone(375).

Serious I feel so much like shit I don’t know what to do. I feel like just starting self testosterone therapy right now, Ive been feeling like since I was like 13 years old. Shit sucks.

20 years old can’t get a fukin boner, no libido, always tired , no interest social interaction cause I always feel likepure shit. I even dropped school cause I could not concentrate well due to extreme lethargy.

Sorry for the blanting, but fuck is there hope?

There are a lot worst things out there. You need to start reading and educating yourself on the thyroid, pitutiary, and, testosterone systems. Start reading http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/ wiki and other resources.

Something is definitely wrong with your thyroid. Are these labs before and after synthroid? your TSH looks basically the same, your T3 is out of range as well, that should be pushing TSH lower. Cortisol is a little high that could be caused by a number of things including nervous of needles, but other studies need to be done.

You need to research and find a better doc, preferably a thyroid specialist with years of experience.

Here are some tests you will need.

TPO Antibodies
Thyroglobulin Antibodies
Thyroglobulin
Thyroid ultrasound
ACTH
Cortisol
IGF 1
FSH/LH
DHEA-S
vitamin D
Prolactin
CBC
Cholesterol
Glucose
Liver markers
B-12
B6
Ferretin

Get a good under the tongue thermometer and start recording temps through out the day. Use iodized salt for cooking if you aren’t all ready and avoid soy products.

It wouldn’t hurt to start taking a coenzyme B complex and 5,000 IU of vitamin D.

bump would like an opinion from KSman

Range for T4? You can [edit] the first post.

TP nailed it very well.

Can you post body temperatures and your history of iodine intake from vitamins or iodized salt?

We see lot of guys your age. Not the problem is common, but because google leads to this forum.

Take action on:
“”"
Check your iodine intake and body temps.

You really need more studies. Read all the stickies. <<=== advice for new guys sticky!!!
“”"

Temperature. 97.7. I don’t support warm, I always feel hot.

A consume a lot of meat, cheese, egg and drink a lot of milk so I think I cover iodine. and take a quality multivitamin.

PLEASE READ THAT. I got HIGH free t3 and t4 even with HIGH TSH, so how is synthroid suppose to help me?

Here is a couple of precise result from lab 2 month ago, before low dose of synthroid,:

TSH : 5,32 – range 0,27-4,20
T4 Free 14,4 – range 9,8-18-8
Free T3 7,22 – range 3,3 - 6,1 ( Im higher than the HIGH range…)

So that’s why I dont understand how raising t4 even high gonna help testosterone… Ive been reading about TRT for at least 2 years… I got the test at home, hcg and everything, seriously, I think more and more about starting. Im sick of all this shit, my teen years have been wasted.

Cortisol 616 – scale 171-536
vitamin D ( in range)
Cholesterol ( in range)
Glucose ( in range)
Liver markers
B-12 (above range, 692 pmol/L)
Ferretin ( in range)

UPDATE: Temperature 97.7 oral

1 Like

Don’t post (in range) post the results and measurement units.

Meat, cheese, egg, and, milk don’t give you iodine. The 150 to 200 mcg of iodine in the vitamins is not enough either. You need iodized salt and in some cases replenishment.

Don’t rush in to TRT until you treat your thyroid.

TP said it well!!

Get you thyroid figured out and then start TRT if needed. You may find that your T levels come up once you address the thyroid problem. Something to consider is treatment of thyroid with T3 as explained www.balancedhormonesandhealth.com/blog/are-your-thyroid-levels-optimal/… Something to consider talking to Doc about if your current treatment is not working. You need a complete thyroid panel.

Good luck

After 2 months at 75mcg (this stuff is measured in micrograms not milligrams) your doc should have retested your TSH before blindly doubling the dose. I had had a TSH of 7.5 and my doc put me on 50mcg Tirosint (levothyroxine), after 2 months my TSH came back at 1.0 but I still felt like crap and my insomnia was much worse.

Most docs think that more is always better but I found the opposite to be true. I’ve been trying to get a handle on my hypothyroidism for 2 years and have tried just about every treatment regime out there and finally I’ve settle in on 25mcg of Tirosint 2 days on, one day off.

Follow the other advice given, that’s basically the road I traveled. Hopefully you’ll find a solution soon.

I am in the exact same situation minus the thyroid problem.

''Ive been feeling like since I was like 13 years old. Shit sucks.

20 years old can’t get a fukin boner, no libido, always tired , no interest social interaction cause I always feel likepure shit. I even dropped school cause I could not concentrate well due to extreme lethargy’’

Wow I have been the same way since the same age. I don’t care about social interaction, somewhat lethargic but I can function. No libido and boner lol. I live in Quebec and I have a significant amount of muscle.

We are linked :wink:

If you are in Montreal near udem we could move some fucking iron together

[quote]jasmincar wrote:
I am in the exact same situation minus the thyroid problem.

''Ive been feeling like since I was like 13 years old. Shit sucks.

20 years old can’t get a fukin boner, no libido, always tired , no interest social interaction cause I always feel likepure shit. I even dropped school cause I could not concentrate well due to extreme lethargy’’

Wow I have been the same way since the same age. I don’t care about social interaction, somewhat lethargic but I can function. No libido and boner lol. I live in Quebec and I have a significant amount of muscle.

We are linked :wink:

If you are in Montreal near udem we could move some fucking iron together[/quote]

I live in Chambly, but I lost my liscence bro. But we could train a Longueuil if your down for it.PM me.

[quote]foxrun wrote:
After 2 months at 75mcg (this stuff is measured in micrograms not milligrams) your doc should have retested your TSH before blindly doubling the dose. I had had a TSH of 7.5 and my doc put me on 50mcg Tirosint (levothyroxine), after 2 months my TSH came back at 1.0 but I still felt like crap and my insomnia was much worse.

Most docs think that more is always better but I found the opposite to be true. I’ve been trying to get a handle on my hypothyroidism for 2 years and have tried just about every treatment regime out there and finally I’ve settle in on 25mcg of Tirosint 2 days on, one day off.

Follow the other advice given, that’s basically the road I traveled. Hopefully you’ll find a solution soon.[/quote]

He tested it again I posted the result man. My TSH got HIGHER, 5.5

Sorry man, I got confused about the timing. 75mcg is a decent sized dose and should have moved your TSH down some, even just a little. Since it didn’t it’s not surprising that going higher didn’t help your symptoms.

When one does not have enough iodine and TSH is increased to compensate, some will achieved good fT3 and fT4 numbers. Some will not.

When fT3 and fT4 are not below optimal levels and body temperatures are low, elevated rT3 is suspected.

When fT3 and fT4 are high and TSH is also high, rT3 is suspected.

In the first case, rT3 blocks the effect of fT3 in the body, lowering temperatures. In the second case, rT3 prevents the hypothalamus from detecting fT3 in the blood.

I suspect that some cases of border line HYPERthyroidism with adrenal fatigue, elevated rT3 could have TSH levels above zero when TSH=0 is expected.

[quote]GTFOmyPowerRack wrote:

[quote]jasmincar wrote:
I am in the exact same situation minus the thyroid problem.

''Ive been feeling like since I was like 13 years old. Shit sucks.

20 years old can’t get a fukin boner, no libido, always tired , no interest social interaction cause I always feel likepure shit. I even dropped school cause I could not concentrate well due to extreme lethargy’’

Wow I have been the same way since the same age. I don’t care about social interaction, somewhat lethargic but I can function. No libido and boner lol. I live in Quebec and I have a significant amount of muscle.

We are linked :wink:

If you are in Montreal near udem we could move some fucking iron together[/quote]

I live in Chambly, but I lost my liscence bro. But we could train a Longueuil if your down for it.PM me.
[/quote]
My PM don’t work
I can’t get there anyway.

Good luck