Can Sumo Deadlifts Replace Conventional Deadlifts?

For someone who plans on competing. I’m thinking of switching to sumo because I’m way stronger in this position. Will I be missing anything by ditching conventional deadlifts and exclusively pulling sumo? What about over training for the quads?

The extra 4 inches of ROM are unlikely to cause overtraining.

Sumo pulls are still a posterior chain pulling movement that utilize quads slightly more than conventional deadlifts. And even that depends on how you actually lift the bar off the floor.

Competition-wise, always use your strongest stance. You can still use conventional deads as an assistance movement.

2 Likes

Seems like an easy decision.

Compete sumo but still train your conventional.

I’m focusing on my conventional for a while but will still compete sumo, I won’t completely remove sumo pulling ( will do it on my light days ) but my max effort work and medium work will all be conventional for the sake of bringing up my weakness which is conventional.

That will make my sumo go up.

I also train conventional and compete sumo. What I like to do is do most of my warmups in sumo and do my work sets conventional. I warm up with an 8,5,3,1,1 pattern and the last single warm up is done with conventional belted. All other warmups are sumo with no gear.

This warms up my hips/quads/hams while not tiring out the low back.