T Nation

Can Someone Suggest Some Books?

I want to get a few books to read up on certains
things, warm ups, exercise routines

A couple i had in mind was

Starting Strength by coach rippletoe (this book is damn expensive wtf)

Maximum strength by Eric Cressey

I would prefer books that focus on freeweight exercises as i have no access to
machines, also if anyone knows any decent books on nutrition

http://www.google.com/

The recent books are nice, but a great classic read is Arnold Schwarzenegger’s The New Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding, even though some of the techniques are out of date/unsafe, there’s still a wealth of knowledge in there.

Get Mike Boyle’s Advances in Functional Training along with Maximum Strength and The New Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding and you have pretty much covered all of the bases with information that will get you started down the right path.

Remember that the articles on this site are just as good as any book out there so take full advantage of them. I like Eric Cressey, Nate Green, Tony Gentilcore, CT, and Mike Boyle; you can’t go wrong sifting through their article archives

Encyclopedia of bodybuilding the complete a-z book on muscle building by Robert kennedy. Tons of info and great pics to go along with it. It’s around 40 dollars, and you can get it at any popular book store.

[quote]Bigbossmdk wrote:
Starting Strength by coach rippletoe (this book is damn expensive wtf)
[/quote]

Good book, IMHO. At the very very very least, even if you disagree with what he says, it will get you thinking critically about your exercise selection and why you are doing certain things. It’s a great book if you’re really new to the game, and are going at this alone, IMHO.

And… expensive? I just checked: it’s $30! It’s absolutely chock full of information, well written, and has wonderful instructive pictures on correct (and incorrect) exercise form. It’s far more bang for the buck than say, 5/3/1, which is … $25? (Sorry, Wendler!).

Im from the uk and the only place i can find starting strength is on amazon for £50 and on ebay for £40, If anyone knows a place to get it cheaper from the uk please let me know.

Ive ordered eric cresseys maximum strength and arnolds encyclopedia of body building.

And of course the articles on T-Nation, lots of the best in there fields on this site. The books will just come in handy if i got spare time when im not near a computer.

cheers for the suggestions

[quote]Bigbossmdk wrote:
I want to get a few books to read up on certains
things, warm ups, exercise routines[/quote]
There was a pretty good thread a while back that had a bunch of suggestions:

To repeat some of my suggestions:
Brother Iron, Sister Steel by Dave Draper
Building the Classic Physique the Natural Way by Steve Reeves
Unleashing the Wild Physique by Vince Gironda

I have to also give love to Nate Green’s Built for Show.

And I truly believe that anyone who lifts weights will benefit from Randy Roach’s Muscle, Smoke, and Mirrors.

It’s Rippetoe, no L. And it’s absolutely worth it especially if you’re looking for explanations about free weight training. It is subtitled Basic Barbell Training, after all. I also really enjoyed Strong Enough by Rippetoe, sort of a “best of” collection of thoughts on various topics.

In Defense of Food: An Eater’s Manifesto by Michael Pollan.

[quote]Rocky2 wrote:
The recent books are nice, but a great classic read is Arnold Schwarzenegger’s The New Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding, even though some of the techniques are out of date/unsafe, there’s still a wealth of knowledge in there.[/quote]

I would echo this suggestion, but above his Encyclopedia I would highly recommend The Education of a Bodybuilder.

Reading that book was a critical point for me that took my training from casual/inconsistent, to serious. I have re-read it at least five times.

*Starting Strength is mandatory. No questions asked.

5/3/1 is a great program. Start that after you’ve completed the program written in starting strength.

For nutrition, get Precision Nutrition. It’s a diet plan that flat out works.

For soft tissue, use Eric Cressey’s recommendations in Maximum Strength.

*For Philosophy, motivation, and brain food, get Dan John’s Never Let Go.

If you want to read the words of a classic bodybuilder, opt for “Education of a Bodybuilder” by Schwarzenegger instead of “Brother Iron, Sister Steel” by Draper.

Arnold’s writing style is more straightforward than Draper’s, and so it’s more entertaining to read.

For a lot of info about weight training in general, at $15, get the Lift Strong DVD.

Annnnd that ended up being a lot of things. Basically, if you have to pick two, get Starting Strength and Never Let Go

ok Starting strength has now been ordered, getting it shipped over here from the US.
I got 3 books coming now so im set, i might get one of the nutrition books
suggested as well and once ive read through the lot a couple of times ill come back and try some of the others.

cheers for the advice

you can actually get it from demonoid.com. there was a thread a while back giving out the invitations to the site. got quite a few stuff from there.

Anyone read Waterbury’s get huge in a hurry? muscle revolution is good.

[quote]Barocount wrote:
Anyone read Waterbury’s get huge in a hurry? muscle revolution is good.[/quote]

Yeah. It’s got an assload of programs, and it is a pretty novel concept. It looks solid, I just am not in the mood for Waterbury at this point in my career.

As a beginner i have had great results with Waterbury’s programs. I will check it out.

While still a newbie myself, I have very much enjoyed reading:
brainoverbrawn.com/?page_id=21

Its a free e-book, well written and seems to have some very good ideas. It also has the advantage of addressing techniques for people who have a bad base strength or flexability, such as showing how to work up to a full squatt.

BTW thank you for making this topic, I was wondering something similar myself. I was planning on picking up 5/3/1 but its nice to have a good list.

[quote]Bigbossmdk wrote:
Im from the uk and the only place i can find starting strength is on amazon for �?�£50 and on ebay for �?�£40, If anyone knows a place to get it cheaper from the uk please let me know.

[/quote]

I’m currently looking to get myself a copy. I’ll yell if my searches find out anything. At the moment it might be worth considering buying it as an ebook (then we have access to the American prices instead).

If you have a visa or master card.

Will ship internationally. Total cost around £28 assume £1=$1.5