Can Smith Machine Help Progression?

About 2lbs per week at first, then it tapered off rapidly as my comittment started faltering lol. I let life get in the way (work, school, family, finances - the biz). BUT it went well when I was keeping on it the way I needed to.

Before I started cutting:
I was always high protein but I never really paid attention to my diet. I ‘limited’ carbs but it was hardly low-carb. I just ate how I felt I needed to, which meant I was in a slight surplus for a while… started getting kinda fluffy (probs >25%BF). I also lifted like all the time 5-6x per week PPL with Bench, Deadlift and Squats on their respective day. I got pretty big and pretty strong like this, but also got too fluffy.
When I started cutting:
I knew I wanted to lose about 20lbs at first (really should have been more like 30-40, but whatevs) and I was breaking out in hives at the thought of reducing food intake… So I wanted to lean out and do it fast. At 235lbs, I took 4 or 5 different Basal Metabolic Rate calculations, averaged them, and adjusted for activity - this lead me to believe my maintenance was 3,000-3,200 cal per day (it was, by chance). To cut, I set myself up to have a 2,000cal daily intake, which is about 1k cal deficit daily - and about 2lbs per week… This worked for me, until it didn’t. Still, I made it down from 235 to 215lbs in like 2-3 months.

I ended up giving up the cut because I was just too stressed with everything else, but I’ve kept on eating about 90% properly since then and done alright. Scale went from 215 up to 225lb current, but in total I got bigger and leaner.
Day 1 (picture says 229.5 - I found out the scale I was using was busted. When I stepped on one that worked, it showed I was like 5lbs heavier than I thought. This is why I say I started at 235lb)

Most recent: (a couple days ago)

Bit of a long story, and a few too many variables to be able to tell it easily, but long story short: reduce calories, eat at least 1g/lb BW protein daily, at least .3g/lb BW fats daily, and the rest can be either fats or carbs to reach your daily calorie goal.

2 Likes