Can Only Huge Guys Give Advice?

[quote]Artem wrote:
streamline wrote:
Unless someone has documented their workouts and diet they should limit their advice to direct questions not complex routines. Most individuals will forget more than they will remember about how they got where they are.

Eductaed professionals have studied the how to’s and how not to’s. Plus the different types of genetic codes that make up the vast population.

Personally I preferr figuring it out for myself through trial and error. Which works for me because I’m a fast learner and an analyst by nature.

Some individuals will do best with a trainer who has an iron boot and a serious bark in their voice.

There are no absolutes, everything does not work for everyone. So when in doubt ask a pro.

I don’t think someone will forget something they do every single day for years.[/quote]

I have changed routines more than I could possible remember without recording them. Every athlete whether they’re bodybuilding or running have evolved in every aspect. Are you still doing what you did the first year you worked out?

[quote]Nate112 wrote:
It comes down to this OP, Do you want advice from This emo dude, or a Ronnie Coleman type of deali?[/quote]

Well it’s fairly obvious, but your example goes from one extreme to the other.

I say if the guy isn’t huge, but has the credentials to back it up then why not.

[quote]strungoutboy21 wrote:
Nate112 wrote:
It comes down to this OP, Do you want advice from This emo dude, or a Ronnie Coleman type of deali?

I say if the guy isn’t huge, but has the credentials to back it up then why not.[/quote]

I guess it comes down to what your idea of huge is then…lol

[quote]streamline wrote:
Artem wrote:
streamline wrote:
Unless someone has documented their workouts and diet they should limit their advice to direct questions not complex routines. Most individuals will forget more than they will remember about how they got where they are.

Eductaed professionals have studied the how to’s and how not to’s. Plus the different types of genetic codes that make up the vast population.

Personally I preferr figuring it out for myself through trial and error. Which works for me because I’m a fast learner and an analyst by nature.

Some individuals will do best with a trainer who has an iron boot and a serious bark in their voice.

There are no absolutes, everything does not work for everyone. So when in doubt ask a pro.

I don’t think someone will forget something they do every single day for years.

I have changed routines more than I could possible remember without recording them. Every athlete whether they’re bodybuilding or running have evolved in every aspect. Are you still doing what you did the first year you worked out? [/quote]

No, but I think any big guy remember why they did what they did and are qualified to give advice. I’m also going for the body of a bodybuilder and not a skater.

[quote]strungoutboy21 wrote:
Nate112 wrote:
It comes down to this OP, Do you want advice from This emo dude, or a Ronnie Coleman type of deali?

I say if the guy isn’t huge, but has the credentials to back it up then why not.[/quote]

By credentials do you mean trained multiple successful BB champions with his unique techniques?

There are also people who have studied a subject so much that they can teach it better than the actual participants. Look at Eric Cressey and his baseball athletes or Poliquin and his track athletes.

It also tends to be that people who struggle at something but become respectable (in this case muscular but not “huge”) will be better at teaching others because they will have spent more time and effort learning than someone who comes upon it naturally.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:
strungoutboy21 wrote:
Nate112 wrote:

I say if the guy isn’t huge, but has the credentials to back it up then why not.

By credentials do you mean trained multiple successful BB champions with his unique techniques?[/quote]

Well i would say someone who has extensive knowledge through schooling(or something similar) and has experience working with “big” people or has gotten “big” himself would be someone to listen to.

anyone who is not(or has not been) bigger/stronger then me, or has built someone as such, I will not take advice from to get bigger/stronger. end of story.

[quote]matsm21 wrote:
anyone who is not(or has not been) bigger/stronger then me, or has built someone as such, I will not take advice from to get bigger/stronger. end of story.[/quote]

I’ll assume you’re pretty stacked already, but if I gave you the advice to try Coan-Phillipi or wrote something in the same realm myself, that worked for me. You wouldn’t consider it because I only deadlift in the 400s?

(relatively) smaller guys CAN give good advice. But it’s someone elses advice that they picked up along the way, More or less It’s more of a way to DISCREDIT someone then to give someone credit.

Would you grow on levrone’s 3000 calorie a day diet? I wouldn’t and I’m way smaller. Experience is necesary, how much is a different story.

Interesting. I can’t talk for bodybuilding, but I do know in boxing that the best fighters normally don’t make the best trainers. And if you look at a trainer’s record in the ring as proof of whether or not he knows his shit, you’ll be stuck with a shitty trainer instead of a Freddie Roach.

A smart guy with mediocre natural ability is someone I’d listen to… there’s guys who box who can just do it. They don’t think about it, they can’t explain it, they just do it. Same with bodybuilding and anything else, I’d imagine. The best baseball managers rarely were decent players.

Why do people keep bringing up poliquin as being someone who isn’t in the huge category?

I mean he isn’t the BIGGEST guy, but i’d venture to guess he is bigger than a large majority of people posting on this forum, myself especially included.

[quote]Nate112 wrote:
It comes down to this OP, Do you want advice from This emo dude, or a Ronnie Coleman type of deali?[/quote]

If that emo dude trained dozens of successful bodybuilders (natural and juiced), some athletes, and made some huge physique transformations with his clients, then ya, I’d take his words into account.

[quote]Josh Rider wrote:
Nate112 wrote:

If that emo dude trained dozens of successful bodybuilders (natural and juiced), some athletes, and made some huge physique transformations with his clients, then ya, I’d take his words into account. [/quote]

X2

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
Interesting. I can’t talk for bodybuilding, but I do know in boxing that the best fighters normally don’t make the best trainers. And if you look at a trainer’s record in the ring as proof of whether or not he knows his shit, you’ll be stuck with a shitty trainer instead of a Freddie Roach.

A smart guy with mediocre natural ability is someone I’d listen to… there’s guys who box who can just do it. They don’t think about it, they can’t explain it, they just do it. Same with bodybuilding and anything else, I’d imagine. The best baseball managers rarely were decent players. [/quote]

I’d agree with you. There have been great players who have tried coaching and failed at it, and yet there were players who were just average but excelled at coaching. The coaching aspect is partially about knowledge, motivation, and being able to get players to listen to you.

I know we are just talking about getting advice here so that is probably a little different.

[quote]HypertroPHd wrote:
there is a sayin that goes “those who “CAN” can’t teach”. i have found this 2 be very true. with most “champiions” their instincts, genetics, and determination is all they need and therefore can not take it 2 the surface and teach. for example; i was considered a prodigy in art, and have had exceptional skillz since i was very young, yet nearly 30 years later i still cant really teach art, at all. whatsoever. ive had art teachers that were not nearly as skilled as I, but could teach art 1000 times better.
that being said i think the teacher needs extensive knowledge, applied knowledge(experience),and a passion for the target subject they teach (in this case bodybuilding)
I dont want no 1 to miss my point, i dont think that guys who r enormous are unknowledgable, i just beleive that one persons capable mind and appearance r not THAT correlated, at the same time i wouldnt trust some1 “educated” without a strong background of experience. [/quote]

x2

There was even an article on here that I’m pretty sure at one point said the guy you want to ask for advice isn’t the genetically gifted guy who packs on muscle like it’s nothing: it’s the guy who has to fight for every pound he’s gained tooth and nail. This being said, I believe that anybody worth taking advice from will have at least a respectable amount of strength and size.

I’m sorry, but unless the guy I’m talking to somehow has trained others successfully and is still a twig himself, it’s going to be hard for me to take him seriously.

Somebody big can tell you how THEY did it, but that doesn’t mean they can help you.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
There seems to be the perception here that someone must be huge and shredded in order to talk about how to get huge and shredded. Is that necessary? Bill Parcells looks like he might have trouble running 10 yards, much less 40. Karl Gotch, as an old fat man, could probably have crushed most of today’s guys in MMA; hell, he could probably have some of the huge guys here crying for mommie in about 10 seconds.

My contention: knowing facts and actualizing those facts on one’s own body are very loosely connected at best.

Charles Poliquin is smaller than Ronnie Coleman. Should RC turn down training advice from Charles? “Yo, CP, get yo little skinny ass back to Canada, brah!!” LOL!!![/quote]

It’s not about being big. It’s about actually having experience. Professor X has experience. Type2b does not.

Are there those who have experience that aren’t “huge”? Of course. But, generally, this is not going to be the case.

Yes, only big guys can give advise.

Facts are facts. No matter who does the talking.

[quote]Nate112 wrote:

she’s cute

wait…what?