Can Obama Be Beaten?

Cain

How long to candidates have to declare?

(I’m thinking mostly of Palin).

Mufasa

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
Rick Perry from Texas, he is the only guy I see who might be able to beat him.

Texas is the only state that has added jobs, some of the lowest taxes and regulations, he offers a good argument.

But I think people are still sore about the last guy who ran for president from Texas and won. [/quote]

I love Texas, but my state has a horrible track record for presidents. Besides, nobody really likes Perry, they just like his opponents even less.

Texas’ virtues stem from an intentionally weak executive position paired with a brief and unsupported congress. Our politicians are as bad as the next mans, we just keep them on a shorter leash.

I think the California point of view of Texas is what looks so appealing. We are losing ALOT of jobs to Texas, and while most people can tolerate lousy schools, when people are broke as fuck, that is the ultimate deal breaker.

[quote]Fletch1986 wrote:

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
Rick Perry from Texas, he is the only guy I see who might be able to beat him.

Texas is the only state that has added jobs, some of the lowest taxes and regulations, he offers a good argument.

But I think people are still sore about the last guy who ran for president from Texas and won. [/quote]

If people give a shit about public education, the democrats are going to have a field day with that one. But Perry has done very well garnering support from the far right wing conservative base.[/quote]

Public schooling, slowly and painfully, is coming to a (near) end. Some sort of accomodation will have to be made for the poor, but private schools (especially religious schools that teach values) are going to make a huge comeback. Those who can afford any sort of alternative are fleeing the publics, which have all sorts of bizarre issues that most parents want to avoid. This is especially true when the high schools got huge and a child was exposed to anonimity, all sorts of low characters from all over the place, gangs, ease of drug access, and so on.

HH,

I agree about the schools. We just had a school get basically liquidated when only 4% of the students tested were proficient in math, and only 25% of students were found to be proficient in English.

I went to Catholic elementary school and while I hated it at the time, when I went to public high school I found out that I rocked it. Class was easy, VERY easy. If it can be made affordable somehow, I think it will have a huge following.

Economically, on the jobs front, from what I’ve, it looks bleak for America. If that remains the case, have to imagine Obama will have a difficult time being re-elected.

“Unemployment In Swing States A Big Problem For Obama”
http://www.commentarymagazine.com/2011/06/13/unemployment-in-swing-states-a-big-problem-for-obama/

Excerpt:

"According to the Wall Street Journal, ?The nation?s high joblessness, already a problem for President Barack Obama as he seeks re-election next year, is shaping up to be a particular burden in a handful of key swing states where the unemployment rate is above the national average.?

The story points out in four states that may prove key to the Obama re-election strategy?Florida, Nevada, North Carolina and Michigan?the jobless picture is ?bleak.? In three of the four, the rate tops 10 percent.

?We?re in uncharted waters here,? Charlie Cook, publisher of Cook Political Report, says. ?I don?t think it takes a rocket scientist to figure out that high unemployment that isn?t getting much better is a huge liability.?

The best spin Mr. Obama?s chief political adviser David Axelrod was able to provide is this:"

Well Rasmussen, which is in my view the gold standard of polling outfits, has him hurtin bad right now, but right now is a million political years and 300 possible campaign shattering events away from the election. Although he’s been generally hurtin over there for a couple years now.

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
HH,

I agree about the schools. We just had a school get basically liquidated when only 4% of the students tested were proficient in math, and only 25% of students were found to be proficient in English.
[/quote]

I’m sorry, but 25% proficient in English!!! Please tell me these were all illegal immigrants…

[quote]Grneyes wrote:

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
HH,

[/quote]

I’m sorry, but 25% proficient in English!!! Please tell me these were all illegal immigrants…[/quote]

I am a high school teacher and you would be amazed. One of our teachers gets so disgusted, he sometimes burns the papers students have written, in class and while they watch. He has shown me some of these and the burnings are justified.

‘Public education’ is an oxymoron.

[quote]Grneyes wrote:

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
HH,

[/quote]

I’m sorry, but 25% proficient in English!!! Please tell me these were all illegal immigrants…[/quote]

Greeny,

We (Cali) has 12% of the US population, but 35% of the welfare people, and about 40% of the illegal aliens. Yes you have schools with a 50% illegal alien attendance, and this is apparent when you have ever expanding ESL classes. Dropout rate is 54% overall. We have the highest paid teachers in the Union, so much for better pay = better student/teacher performance. Putting money into education without teacher accountability is like throwing your money into a black hole. A teacher in LAUSD has to kill someone to be fired.

My numbers were slightly off…

“About 5% of the school’s students tested as proficient or better in math last year; about 24% tested as proficient or better in English.”

Why is public education an oxymoron? Just because the U.S. system doesn’t work doesn’t mean public education doesn’t work. I also don’t see why we need to teach religion in school to teach civic duty, responsibility or morality. Perhaps teaching critical thinking and logic would be more helpful.

I also wonder why it is that criticizing a BAD Republican President like President G.W. Bush made you a traitor while threatening and making racist comments about President Obama is totally acceptable. Why is that? Surely the line “Respect for the office if not the man…” applies as much to President Obama as it ever did for President Bush.

I don’t consider myself a liberal/progressive, I consider myself an Independent, and before someone here says “You aren’t an American so you don’t count.” I will assure you I am American, born and raised. If the GOP wants my vote they have to run a serious candidate. So far the choices are underwhelming. Palin? No. Bachman? No. I disagree with Ron Paul on a lot but at least he’s a serious guy with some education, even if he can’t get the age of the earth right. Perry? The “Pray for rain” candidate? The guy who is cutting education spending and has a massive deficit but is spending tax money on Formula-1 racing? That’s not a serious candidate, or at least shouldn’t be.

[/quote]
Greeny,

We (Cali) has 12% of the US population, but 35% of the welfare people, and about 40% of the illegal aliens. Yes you have schools with a 50% illegal alien attendance, and this is apparent when you have ever expanding ESL classes. Dropout rate is 54% overall. We have the highest paid teachers in the Union, so much for better pay = better student/teacher performance. Putting money into education without teacher accountability is like throwing your money into a black hole. A teacher in LAUSD has to kill someone to be fired.

“About 5% of the school’s students tested as proficient or better in math last year; about 24% tested as proficient or better in English.”[/quote]

That’s just sad. I can believe it though. I grew up in the Bay Area and the teachers at my HS were horrible. The place was crap, in general. We had one teacher fired for being staggering drunk in class, we had another fired for beating up a student (not self-defense) and a third fired because he was exposing himself to the girls in his P.E. class. My clearest memory of HS wasn’t grad and wasn’t prom, it was the day a student hung himself from the cafeteria with the day a kid shot himself in the head in the parking lot. Or maybe it was the stabbing in front of the office… Sad part? I didn’t live in the ghetto, I lived in suburbia. I can only imagine what truly poor kids went through…

[quote]TheTick42 wrote:
[/quote]
Greeny,

“About 5% of the school’s students tested as proficient or better in math last year; about 24% tested as proficient or better in English.”[/quote]

That’s just sad. I can believe it though. I grew up in the Bay Area and the teachers at my HS were horrible. The place was crap, in general. We had one teacher fired for being staggering drunk in class, we had another fired for beating up a student (not self-defense) and a third fired because he was exposing himself to the girls in his P.E. class. My clearest memory of HS wasn’t grad and wasn’t prom, it was the day a student hung himself from the cafeteria with the day a kid shot himself in the head in the parking lot. Or maybe it was the stabbing in front of the office… Sad part? I didn’t live in the ghetto, I lived in suburbia. I can only imagine what truly poor kids went through…
[/quote]

Yay open borders.

[quote]TheTick42 wrote:
Why is public education an oxymoron? Just because the U.S. system doesn’t work doesn’t mean public education doesn’t work. I also don’t see why we need to teach religion in school to teach civic duty, responsibility or morality. Perhaps teaching critical thinking and logic would be more helpful.

I also wonder why it is that criticizing a BAD Republican President like President G.W. Bush made you a traitor while threatening and making racist comments about President Obama is totally acceptable. Why is that? Surely the line “Respect for the office if not the man…” applies as much to President Obama as it ever did for President Bush.

I don’t consider myself a liberal/progressive, I consider myself an Independent, and before someone here says “You aren’t an American so you don’t count.” I will assure you I am American, born and raised. If the GOP wants my vote they have to run a serious candidate. So far the choices are underwhelming. Palin? No. Bachman? No. I disagree with Ron Paul on a lot but at least he’s a serious guy with some education, even if he can’t get the age of the earth right. Perry? The “Pray for rain” candidate? The guy who is cutting education spending and has a massive deficit but is spending tax money on Formula-1 racing? That’s not a serious candidate, or at least shouldn’t be.[/quote]

Unions have destroyed the public school system, because you simply cannot fire a teacher. With that in mind, teachers have no reason to work hard because there is no risk of recourse. So they got lazy, and kids today feel more entitled than ever before.

Who threatened the president and who accepted it? Should we not hold Obama to the same scrutiny as Bush? Is that not pulling the race card ? Political affirmative action ? Were ethnic groups racist against white people who hated Bush, or could it be that they hated his policies?

If you want to talk about respect for the office of the President, that was lost when people were calling for Bush’s head. But you see, the hate-whitey train MUST keep rolling on.

Perry with Rubio is the only ticket I see challenging O’Bummer.

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

[quote]TheTick42 wrote:

I don’t consider myself a liberal/progressive, I consider myself an Independent, and before someone here says “You aren’t an American so you don’t count.” I will assure you I am American, born and raised. If the GOP wants my vote they have to run a serious candidate. So far the choices are underwhelming. Palin? No. Bachman? No. I disagree with Ron Paul on a lot but at least he’s a serious guy with some education, even if he can’t get the age of the earth right. Perry? The “Pray for rain” candidate? The guy who is cutting education spending and has a massive deficit but is spending tax money on Formula-1 racing? That’s not a serious candidate, or at least shouldn’t be.[/quote]

Unions have destroyed the public school system, because you simply cannot fire a teacher. With that in mind, teachers have no reason to work hard because there is no risk of recourse. So they got lazy, and kids today feel more entitled than ever before.

Who threatened the president and who accepted it? Should we not hold Obama to the same scrutiny as Bush? Is that not pulling the race card ? Political affirmative action ? Were ethnic groups racist against white people who hated Bush, or could it be that they hated his policies?

If you want to talk about respect for the office of the President, that was lost when people were calling for Bush’s head. But you see, the hate-whitey train MUST keep rolling on.

Perry with Rubio is the only ticket I see challenging O’Bummer. [/quote]

How is suggesting that racist cartoons are inappropriate saying “Presidential affirmative action”? Did we forget about Marilyn Davenport? How about the video at the top of the thread? While I don’t think this guy would actually take a swing at President Obama the point was disrespect for the office. It’s great to say President Obama is wrong. It’s another to suggest beating the President. Or shooting him? Like suggested by Ted Nugent. So a bunch of stupid liberal loud mouths wanted to “kill” President Bush…so what? They were wrong. That’s an excuse for Republicans to do the same? Ok…a good excuse?

I agree with you about the teachers union. It’s great to demand fair pay, which they don’t really get, it’s another to protect horrible teachers who need to be fired. Unions shouldn’t protect drunks, drug addicts, child molesters etc… Moderation seems to be the key. Also I don’t see why liberals get bent out of shape about testing kids. Canada has provincial exams. Most European countries have stricter standards as to who can pass to the next grade. Why can’t we.

[quote]TheTick42 wrote:

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

[quote]TheTick42 wrote:

How is suggesting that racist cartoons are inappropriate saying “Presidential affirmative action”? Did we forget about Marilyn Davenport? How about the video at the top of the thread? While I don’t think this guy would actually take a swing at President Obama the point was disrespect for the office. It’s great to say President Obama is wrong. It’s another to suggest beating the President. Or shooting him? Like suggested by Ted Nugent. So a bunch of stupid liberal loud mouths wanted to “kill” President Bush…so what? They were wrong. That’s an excuse for Republicans to do the same? Ok…a good excuse?

I agree with you about the teachers union. It’s great to demand fair pay, which they don’t really get, it’s another to protect horrible teachers who need to be fired. Unions shouldn’t protect drunks, drug addicts, child molesters etc… Moderation seems to be the key. Also I don’t see why liberals get bent out of shape about testing kids. Canada has provincial exams. Most European countries have stricter standards as to who can pass to the next grade. Why can’t we. [/quote]

Racist cartoons? You mean like this ?..

Bush had a shoe thrown at him, which could have very easily been a grenade.

The Unions have become an abomination, they used to stand for something good, but now they are mafia-like.

I think this economy has the potential to get quite a bit worse before the next election and that may be just what we need to get this freak voted out. But merely getting Obama out won’t do us any good if we replace him with an equally disgusting Republican.

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

[quote]TheTick42 wrote:

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

[quote]TheTick42 wrote:

I agree with you about the teachers union. It’s great to demand fair pay, which they don’t really get, it’s another to protect horrible teachers who need to be fired. Unions shouldn’t protect drunks, drug addicts, child molesters etc… Moderation seems to be the key. Also I don’t see why liberals get bent out of shape about testing kids. Canada has provincial exams. Most European countries have stricter standards as to who can pass to the next grade. Why can’t we. [/quote]

Racist cartoons? You mean like this ?..

Bush had a shoe thrown at him, which could have very easily been a grenade.

The Unions have become an abomination, they used to stand for something good, but now they are mafia-like. [/quote]

It really depends on the state in question. There’s problems with too little unionization and problems with too much in different parts of the US.

I agree with you Fletch.

In Cali, the Unions own the entire political environment. They will fund the candidate on their dole, and fund a propaganda campaign against the candidate running against their own. Democrats here are afraid to conduct policies that go against Union agendas. They will fund a recall, it’s extortion on steroids here.

To give you an example, we have a $12 Billion deficit, and Unions want to raise taxes rather than do pension reform or have their members pay into their health care or pensions. Dems take campaign money from Unions, are then beholden to them, and are slaves to their whoremasters. Yes, we call Unions “whoremasters” here LOL. They crack the whip, the Dems then run on a raise taxes only platform. Well taxpayers will not vote for more taxes, so there is a bill being proposed to eliminate a taxpayer vote for tax raises and/or extensions. Imagine that ! Taxpayers would have NO say on whether or not their taxes are raised. Take a guess who proposed this horseshit bill?..David Keiffer (president of the SEIU). The mother fucker actually told newsreporters that “taxpayers do not need to be involved in raising taxes.”

Unions lost their way. They have created an army for Union causes, not constituent causes.

This Goddamn Democratic Mafia must be stopped.