Can Low T Make Me Get Cold Easier?

I have low T, still trying to fix naturally, experiencing all the symptoms (this sucks!) But I’m wondering if having low T can make you get colder easier. Ive noticed that I do get cold easier but it seems most sites don’t list that as a symtom and only list that for hypothyroidism. I’m thinking my thyroid is fine though.

Whenever I was on a protocol where Total T was below a certain point, I would experience extreme coldness bodywide which subsided after pushing past a certain level. I became overly warm past a certain levels as well.

Add to all of this I was iron deficient before starting TRT, so going on TRT with an iron deficiency caused microcytic anemia where the hemoglobin is small carrying less oxygen to your bodies tissues.

TRT can expose a weak thyroid that was already on the brink, testing TSH, Free T3, Reverse T3 and antibodies is the only way to be sure. Hypothyroidism can cause low iron and vice versa, low thyroid hormones leads to low iron absorption to do low metabolism.

Also an iron panel is recommended.

1 Like

As systemlord stated get the above checked. For years I’ve been shown to have great TSH, ft4 and ft3 in blood work. The last 2 years, I began to get my rt3 tested on my own since no Dr’s have ever seemed to care much about that marker. Having high rt3 will give you hypothyroid symptoms as you’re mentioning, even when all other thyroid markers are optimal. RT3 blocks the active ft3 from doing it’s job.

The last month I finally bit the bullet and began taking T3 and have been slowly feeling like my old self again. I can think more clearly, have more energy and am becoming warm again.

RT3 is reduced pharmacologically by taking T3 and works via a feedback loop. As our body see’s high ft3 levels, it decreases tsh, which in turn decreases ft4. fT4 is converted to ft3 and rt3, so as ft4 decreases, so will rt3. FT3 however will stay high, since it’s being received by an exogenous source. High rt3 is typically a sign of stress of any form: infection/immunological, psychological, physical, injury etc. I’ve tried for years to get to the bottom of my high rt3 without any luck.

Get your RT3 checked. It’s the most expensive thyroid test, but needed for a real assessment of your thyroid function.

If you decide to go the pharmacological route, I’ve been really impressed with Defy Medical, which allows treatment remotely via phone.

just wondering. what’s your height and weight?

Thanks everyone for the info. My height is 5 foot 9 and I weigh 198lbs

What is T3?

Google it and start reading.

It’s a thyroid thing. Being cold has been linked to an underactive thyroid. Sometimes, that’s the culprit, not low T.

Or, so I have heard.

Wow, I was about to post this question myself. I couldn’t find any site listing this as a symptom, but this has definitely happened to me. TT is around 200 and over the past almost year I have noticed that I’m way more sensitive to cold than I have ever been. I’ll put a blanket on when watching tv, no longer use a fan in my room when sleeping in 80 degree temps, and have only used my pool once this summer because for whatever reason the water feels way too cold (water temp in low 70’s). Had a full blood panel and all looks normal besides T (and low D, which is one point below the ref range), thyroid was checked and is that is OK. I’m guessing maybe this is a less common side effect of low T? Or low D? I’ll be starting trt soon so I will see if there are improvements here.

Low serum iron can make you feel cold, your thyroid requires iron. You need an iron panel and ferritin, it would hurt to get a CBC looking at MCH and MCV which can help in diagnosing an iron deficiency.

I have found that most doctors struggle with diagnosis of iron deficiency, you can have an iron deficiency with normal levels of hemoglobin.