T Nation

Can I Work Out with a Neck Strain?

I injured my neck doing shoulders and chest on monday. i think behind the neck presses specifically. at the beginning it was just a little stiff but after 30 mins it was really stiff so i stopped. the following day i could barely stand up it was so stiff.

it’s alot better now, however not 100%. i can turn it almost all the way but still have difficulty bending my head back.

So my question is can I get back to the gym? I haven’t been since Monday. I was thinking maybe just arms, since neck not really involved.

Be ready for a lot of “stop being a pussy, go to the gym”. With that said… go to the gym.

EDIT:
Obviously if your neck is causing you pain in the lift, don’t do it. But still go to the gym and see.

go to the gym. if you feel ok, you can lift.

if you don’t feel kosher, try to get a girl’s number, and then go home. or go in the steamroom. or get a massage.

that being said, who does a shoulders/chest day? awkward

yea i will go to the gym and do arms. if it gets worse i will stop obviously. but its alot better than before, when i couldnt move in bed.

[quote]HolyMacaroni wrote:
that being said, who does a shoulders/chest day? awkward[/quote]

I thought shoulders/chest was a perfect combination? PUSH/PUSH… I normally do that workout twice a week.

When I fucked up my right trap, I just loaded up on aspirin and did a lot more reps with lower weight until I felt I could load up.

It took me a few extra mins to complete a workout.

[quote]chimera182 wrote:
Be ready for a lot of “stop being a pussy, go to the gym”. With that said… go to the gym.
[/quote]

Nah, dude, he should take a month or two off. :wink: