T Nation

Can I Just Take One Cycle?

Hey I was just wondering that if I decided to do a cycle of roids to help bulk up, would I have to continue with cycles to maintain this new muscle, or would I be able to sustain the new gains with a natural diet and regime!

Sorry if this is a silly question but I am a steroid newb and would only ever want to cycle them ONCE

Yes you could but after being on a cycle it is a common tendency to do another cycle. Both to gain even more muscle and because it feels damn good to be on cycle.

Yes, it’s pretty much like a plan to eat one potato chip while continuing to hold the bag in the hand.

Though I know many who have done very few cycles, for whatever reason of doing very few. For example, becoming a doctor and just not wishing to have people scrutizing and questioning unusual changes in the physique, getting married and not wanting the wife to view the physique as being a product of steroids (when in fact it IS mostly the product of very hard work and genetics), and other reasons. So it’s not as if it’s too hard to stop if there is good reason to do so.

As for keeping the gains, a lot has to do with whether your usage took you past where your body ever could have gone with natural training. If not, then generally the gains are maintainable (though the extra glycogen and glycogen-associated water, and other extra water if any, will not be maintained.)

Actually it’s possble to maintain somewhat above what could ever have been obtained naturally (granted, that outcome is one that can only be guessed at not measured though if one has been training very well for a very long time there’s a good general idea of it) because at least one permanent and beneficial-to-muscle-mass occurs or can occur from steroid use. Namely, satellite cells can be triggered to fuse with mature muscle cells, thus resulting in those muscle cells gaining nuclei (muscle cells, unlike most cells, have and put to use many nuclei each, not just one.) This permanently increases the protein synthesis capacity of the muscle.

Anyway, there is a lifetime benefit to a really effective cycle. (Not so much so if to any degree, though, with a piddling cycle.)

Why just one?

Because I don’t feel comfortable doing steroids for long-term. If I did do them in the future it would be to get me to through a plateau quicker than if not using them

[quote]ois297 wrote:
Because I don’t feel comfortable doing steroids for long-term. If I did do them in the future it would be to get me to through a plateau quicker than if not using them[/quote]

okay so you bust through a plateu with aas this time…what happens when you hit another plateu? Gonna try and bust through natural? My point would be, why is this plateu so special that you would decide to take steroids, and then when you hit other plateus you would just take them on naturally.

Not bashing you, it’s your body and your choice…I just don’t see the logic. lol

I have to tell you that I have yet to take steroids although I have some stuff brewing up shortly :wink:

Imo…if you decide to do a cycle here and there it doesn’t mean that you will have to be on hrt later on in life…abusing the substances then maybe…but a cycle here and there won’t hurt…and I also believe from the experience that I’ve seen with others, that you can continue to make gains off cycle even after using.

DG

I like Bill’s analogy here’s mine: Its like having sex just once… ever. Not gonna happen once you try it you like it

Haha, do they really feel that good?

In all seriousness, the reason I would only do them once is twofold: number 1 is health reasons and number 2 is that I am not aiming for a roided out physique, I think that I want to get as big as possible naturally within the next 6 months and then look at taking one cycle to get MY ideal physique.

The question was, whether if I did take it to achieve this ‘ideal physique’ could I maintain it naturally?

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]Bill Roberts wrote:
Yes, it’s pretty much like a plan to eat one potato chip while continuing to hold the bag in the hand.

God is this ever true…
I will chime in with you get a slight attraction/addiction to the results. Your first cycle is typically your best, but in that quest for the mythical figure (depending on your goals) you might be easily persuaded to jump back on.

My 2 cc’s

[quote]saps wrote:
I like Bill’s analogy here’s mine: Its like having sex just once… ever. Not gonna happen once you try it you like it[/quote]

Good analogy.

Of course you could take just one, and since I doubt your at your full genetic peak yet, you could easily maintain up to that peak, and even a little beyond it as bill said.

Like everyone else said…everyone thinks they are going to do just one, but they finish and just aren’t completely happy.

You have the ability and the means to have the body you think is perfect, but stop 2-3 cycles short ? Thats too much temptation for most.

Its like scratching a loto ticket seeing jackpot come up twice and not scratching the third.

Doubtful, if your the kind of person who is considering using AAS, or hell, the kind of person who got into weight training in the first place.

Your not going to let minor difficulties get in the way of what you really want. A perfect body.

You can but you won’t.

1. Bodybuilding
  2. Powerlifting
  3. Medicinal Uses HRT
  4. Looking better naked

Pick one… then decide.

In my experience…after you’ve done ONE cycle, you will want to do another.

Yes, AAS feels that good. And, if you workout correctly, eat correctly, and sleep, you will be HIGHLY rewarded if you cycle.

In re: a “roided out” physique. You shouldn’t do AAS if you’re not comfortable dedicating yourself to a substantial change in the way that you look. People will ABSOLUTELY notice (they may not, but they may, guess that it’s AAS). This definitely happened to me, and I loved it - didn’t feel uncomfortable at all after a few weeks of getting used to everyone staring at my body! :slight_smile:

Regardless, the roided out look that you mention is really not going to be an option for you if you choose your cycle composition and timing the right way.

So, yes, you will probably want to do more than one cycle
You will look strong.
You will be strong.
And you will love it.

My first cycle was good yes but the second had d-bol mixed into the fraction.

I believe i’m some what hooked psychologically to the d-bol it hit so hard and so fast!!!

I could never run it just once.

im just gonna do it once guys!

;>[

op…how old are ya?

come on tell us the truth

Yeah, how old are you and how long have you been seriously training?