Can I Just Start With TBT?

I know TBT is more intense and is going to be harder, but why does everyone recommend doing BBB first? I’ve got both printed out and read through them from front to back.

Like I said, I know it would be harder, but why not start with TBT? Wouldn’t I get more muscle gains and strength through it? Please enlighten me wise ones

go ahead and start w/ TBT.

[quote]bruinsdmb wrote:
go ahead and start w/ TBT. [/quote]

What do you mean though? I cannot tell if that statement if facetious or not. Are you saying, go ahead and screw up or that would be a fine idea?

This is the beginner section. What’s TBT/BBB??? While you’re at it, GPP?

The reason BBB is recommended is that you need to climb the Waterbury ladder. BBB is a beginner program (Its tough though) where you’ll do 2 upper body and 2 lower body sessions a week.
TBT is three days a week and is more intense imo. After this you could do Waterbury Method and then QD. So after all this you are going to be training your full body 4x a week.
If you are really keen do BBB for 3-4 weeks then jump into TBT.

If your just starting out you may want to look at ABBH II. This is a true beginner program and has received much acclaim on these forums.
Oh yeah make sure you eat LOTS! This was my biggest mistake as a nubie. Check out the massive eating article.

TBT is a fine start. It may take you a couple of weeks to dial in weights used/needed. At that point you can still run the program for another 4 weeks or so.

Anything is a fine start. Better to start and struggle than to sit and wait for the perfect system. Just train hard and consistant.

I also think it very important to track everything. I have shit in binders and tablets that goes back to the 70s. Then it skips around and of course I’ve lost some, but I’ll bet somewhere in my house is tracking for the past 10-15 years. And by everything I mean program and diet. It doesn’t have to bew some anal log–though the more detailed the more you get from it, but just track aprox cals and macros until you get a real feel for what you are putting in your mouth. Very important step that is not taken by many.

[quote]supfrochild wrote:
This is the beginner section. What’s TBT/BBB??? While you’re at it, GPP?[/quote]

It is the beginner section, but I feel I am expected to have at the least, researched a topic before making a thread/posting on this thread.

sasquatch- thanks for the advice. How do I go about keeping a diet log? Could it be as easy as going to eat, remembering what I ate, writing it down when I get back to my room, and researching it later? I’m not very good at figuring out caloric or macro intake. I really appreciate your time.

[quote]Weakling 8 wrote:
supfrochild wrote:

It is the beginner section, but I feel I am expected to have at the least, researched a topic before making a thread/posting on this thread.

sasquath- thanks for the advice. How do I go about keeping a diet log? Could it be as easy as going to eat, remembering what I ate, writing it down when I get back to my room, and researching it later? I’m not very good at figuring out caloric or macro intake. I really appreciate your time.[/quote]

I’m sure someone could link you to a site that you can work from. But truthfully, I like just reading labels and getting a good base for what a serving size is and what calories there are in that serving. Then breaking down the macros. Will it be perfect–no. Will it take time to get the hang of it-yes. How do you measure the tuna on a sandwhich? make a few and take a guess.

But yah-write down what you eat and figure it out.

This is the beginner section. What’s TBT/BBB??? While you’re at it, GPP?[/quote]

Use the search button.

[quote]

sasquatch- thanks for the advice. How do I go about keeping a diet log? Could it be as easy as going to eat, remembering what I ate, writing it down when I get back to my room, and researching it later? I’m not very good at figuring out caloric or macro intake. I really appreciate your time.[/quote]

Fitday has a pretty decent diet log,its what I personally use.Takes a bit of time to get all the specific foods in but what you do it takes just a few minutes every day.

So, honestly, would it be more beneficial to start with BBB and then go to TBT, or can I struggle throught TBT now, get the hang of it and move past it later without losing much?

[quote]Weakling 8 wrote:
So, honestly, would it be more beneficial to start with BBB and then go to TBT, or can I struggle throught TBT now, get the hang of it and move past it later without losing much?[/quote]

Relax, it doesnt matter, just pick one of them and do it. Stop obsessing over details.

When I was in college a professor once told me for every single thing I learned by asking him I missed learning ten things by not looking for myself. This ain’t college so I’m gonna help you out.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=615935

[quote]Weakling 8 wrote:
supfrochild wrote:

[/quote]

Why not just help the guy out? Isn’t someone helping you???

i actually had a bit of a time trying to find what all the abbreviations real name was. I don’t think I’m a better person for having spent hours on an internet forum searching for the meaning of abbreviations. Most people wouldn’t.

ABBH I - Anti-BodyBuilding Hypertrophy
ABBH II - the continuation

BBB- Big Boy Basics

GPP - General Physical Prepardness. not a CW term, used by non-T-Nation people

CW - Chad Waterbury

CT -Christian Thibaudeau
(sort of the opposite of CW programmes)

QD - Quattro Dynamo

TBT - Total Body Training

TTT - Triple Total Training

[quote]kakugo wrote:
GPP - General Physical Prepardness. not a CW term, used by non-T-Nation people[/quote]

Actually, that term is used by Dave Tate, Christian Thibaudeau, and Chad Waterbury even has a whole article on GPP complexes he likes to use and prescribes GPP on off days in many of his programs. Just some things I could think of off the top of my head.

[quote]kakugo wrote:
i actually had a bit of a time trying to find what all the abbreviations real name was. I don’t think I’m a better person for having spent hours on an internet forum searching for the meaning of abbreviations. Most people wouldn’t.

ABBH I - Anti-BodyBuilding Hypertrophy
ABBH II - the continuation

BBB- Big Boy Basics

CW - Chad Waterbury

CT -Christian Thibaudeau
(sort of the opposite of CW programmes)

QD - Quattro Dynamo

TBT - Total Body Training

TTT - Triple Total Training
[/quote]
There all here plus some with a link to download the details of each!!!
http://www.T-Nation.com/...ic.do?id=615935

[quote]Robert P. wrote:
kakugo wrote:

Actually, that term is used by Dave Tate, Christian Thibaudeau, and Chad Waterbury even has a whole article on GPP complexes he likes to use and prescribes GPP on off days in many of his programs. Just some things I could think of off the top of my head.

[/quote]

I believe he meant that it’s not a term created here. I’m sure there are millions that use it, including the ones you listed.

[quote]sasquatch wrote:

Anything is a fine start. Better to start and struggle than to sit and wait for the perfect system. Just train hard and consistant.

.[/quote]

i just asked about this. why wait to read the perfect program. why not start with something good enough, and then switch when you find the best one. i feel like i will be reading all day and not working out. thanks for some good advice sasquatch. when people say just use the search button instead of giving out advice, is it because they don’t know the answers, but still want to look smart?

[quote]Weakling 8 wrote:
I know TBT is more intense and is going to be harder, but why does everyone recommend doing BBB first? I’ve got both printed out and read through them from front to back.

Like I said, I know it would be harder, but why not start with TBT? Wouldn’t I get more muscle gains and strength through it? Please enlighten me wise ones[/quote]

I say start with ABBH.

It is an excellent program did a really great job of kicking my ass and packing on some solid pounds over this summer.

I started with ABBH 1 and am currently working on 2.

I know that 2 is by far the more popular program but I really got a lot out of 1. I would say that I suffered for the lack of overhead pressing.

IMHO don’t start with TBT. Not that you can’t, but that you might get more out of working your way up to it rather than floundering for the first couple of weeks.