Can I Go Wrong With Splenda?

[quote]THE_CLAMP_DOWN wrote:
The studies show: Stevia > Sucralose > Aspartame (never ever consume)

However…
Like real sugar, the ones above will trick the brain into thinking you have just consumed a very sweet food or drink. As a result, your confused hormone response system stimulates an inappropriate insulin response. Some research even suggests that your brain will seek even more “replacement” calories in reaction to being tricked with a sweet food that provides no energy.

[/quote]
If this is the case, what do you suggest for protein powder, as almost all whey protein blends have some sort of atrificial sweetener in them? I’ve seen pure whey isolates online, but they are really expensive for general use.

[quote]K2000 wrote:
According to CSPI (Center for Science in the Public Interest) Sucralose is the most/best tested artificial sweetener, and the safest. They dislike Aspartame (Nutrasweet) and think other sweeteners like Ace-K and Stevia need more or better testing. Google CSPI + Sucralose for more info.

[quote]Cartman8675 wrote:
Why not just use sugar? Are you fat?

From what I remember, splenda increases insulin levels in the blood moreso than plain sugar.[/quote]

Sounds like baloney to me, but if you have a link to some evidence, I’ll check it out. I think a few people might respond to Sucralose that way, but the vast majority do not. Otherwise we’d probably be seeing a lot of diabetics dropping dead - sucralose use is common. If some people are allergic to peanuts - does that mean everyone should avoid peanut butter?
[/quote]

I would do the opposite of anything the Center for Science in the Public Interest says to do. they are a bunch of liberal, junk scientist, fun police types.

[quote]HK24719 wrote:

The studies show: Stevia > Sucralose > Aspartame (never ever consume)[/quote]

Which studies?

However…
Like real sugar, the ones above will trick the brain into thinking you have just consumed a very sweet food or drink. As a result, your confused hormone response system stimulates an inappropriate insulin response. Some research even suggests that your brain will seek even more “replacement” calories in reaction to being tricked with a sweet food that provides no energy.

[/quote]

Please reference the research that’s shown this as there is in fact research showing the opposite, that sucralose does not ilicit an insulin response.[/quote]

So if he posted the studies you would read them and report back your findings with your own well researched study full of important looking footnotes and references? The dangers of aspartame are pretty well documented and you can consume at your own risk. Sucralose is considered another frankenfood like aspartame so if you are willing to consume chemicals that are considered unsafe by many research chemists by all means go ahead.

[quote]Razorslim wrote:

[quote]HK24719 wrote:

Which studies?

However…

[/quote]

Please reference the research that’s shown this as there is in fact research showing the opposite, that sucralose does not ilicit an insulin response.[/quote]

So if he posted the studies you would read them and report back your findings with your own well researched study full of important looking footnotes and references? The dangers of aspartame are pretty well documented and you can consume at your own risk. Sucralose is considered another frankenfood like aspartame so if you are willing to consume chemicals that are considered unsafe by many research chemists by all means go ahead.
[/quote]

Thank you for adding nothing of substance to this discussion.

[quote]dr.mcmc wrote:
Yea, if you’re looking to Splenda to avoid the insulin spike… I recall reading that some people still get an insulin response from Splenda or other artificial sweeteners. Unfortunately, I’m one of these. Couldn’t drop the last five pounds until I dropped the damn diet soda. Go figure! Zero calories in hose things but they were still holding me back. [/quote]

Most diet drinks contain aspartame. Which is the worst artificial sweetener for you.

[quote]Razorslim wrote:
I would do the opposite of anything the Center for Science in the Public Interest says to do. they are a bunch of liberal, junk scientist, fun police types.[/quote]

Okay, that’s easy then… just eat lots of sugar and Aspartame. Done!

I have to laugh at people who post on a scientific bodybuilding website, who act like they hate science. CSPI doesn’t do any studies, they merely report on the results that other people got. I’ll take your comment to mean that you don’t know jack shit about them. But the point is that Sucralose is considered the safest artificial sweetener… it’s had the best testing, and the most testing. Including more testing than Stevia. And it’s passed those tests.

This stuff about artificial sweeteners supposedly making you eat more sounds like bullshit to me. Unless I start seeing some credible links, I’ll assume that’s the case.

Anybody who doesn’t want to eat artificial sweeteners, more power to you. But that’s not me. I grew up on ‘Carob naturally flavored’ protein powder and ‘naturally flavored’ Vanilla protein powder that tasted like crap unless you blended it with a banana and honey. I NEVER want to go back to those days. You can get unsweetened protein powder if you want it… knock yourself out.

Here’s a couple of videos about sucralose and aspartame that are interesting. Not dry, peer-reviewed studies, but interesting facts nonetheless.

Aspartame & Sucralose (Nutrasweet & Splenda)

The Truth About Splenda’s History Finally Revealed

The Toxic Truth About Splenda!

Hmmm…Pubmed is your friend. Can you say “peer reviewed journal”?

I don’t like the study below because they (IMHO) “rigged” the test with a glucose spike first and got a response but not meaningful (according to them):

Diabetes Care. 2009 Dec;32(12):2184-6. Epub 2009 Oct 6.
Ingestion of diet soda before a glucose load augments glucagon-like peptide-1 secretion.

Brown RJ, Walter M, Rother KI.

National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, USA. brownrebecca@mail.nih.gov
Abstract

OBJECTIVE: The goal of this study was to determine the effect of artificial sweeteners on glucose, insulin, and glucagon-like peptide (GLP)-1 in humans. RESEARCH DESIGN AND METHODS: For this study, 22 healthy volunteers (mean age 18.5 +/- 4.2 years) underwent two 75-g oral glucose tolerance tests with frequent measurements of glucose, insulin, and GLP-1 for 180 min. Subjects drank 240 ml of diet soda or carbonated water, in randomized order, 10 min prior to the glucose load. RESULTS: Glucose excursions were similar after ingestion of carbonated water and diet soda. Serum insulin levels tended to be higher after diet soda, without statistical significance. GLP-1 peak and area under the curve (AUC) were significantly higher with diet soda (AUC 24.0 +/- 15.2 pmol/l per 180 min) versus carbonated water (AUC 16.2 +/- 9.0 pmol/l per 180 min; P = 0.003). CONCLUSIONS: Artificial sweeteners synergize with glucose to enhance GLP-1 release in humans. This increase in GLP-1 secretion may be mediated via stimulation of sweet-taste receptors on L-cells by artificial sweetener.

PMID: 19808921 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]PMCID: PMC2782974 [Available on 2010/12/1

This next study found no response:

Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2009 Mar;296(3):E473-9. Epub 2008 Dec 23.
Incretin release from gut is acutely enhanced by sugar but not by sweeteners in vivo.

Fujita Y, Wideman RD, Speck M, Asadi A, King DS, Webber TD, Haneda M, Kieffer TJ.

Department of Cellular and Physiological Sciences, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada V6T 1Z3.
Abstract

Glucose-dependent insulinotropic polypeptide (GIP) and glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1) are released during meals from endocrine cells located in the gut mucosa and stimulate insulin secretion from pancreatic beta-cells in a glucose-dependent manner. Although the gut epithelium senses luminal sugars, the mechanism of sugar sensing and its downstream events coupled to the release of the incretin hormones are not clearly elucidated. Recently, it was reported that sucralose, a sweetener that activates the sweet receptors of taste buds, triggers incretin release from a murine enteroendocrine cell line in vitro. We confirmed that immunoreactivity of alpha-gustducin, a key G-coupled protein involved in taste sensing, is sometimes colocalized with GIP in rat duodenum. We investigated whether secretion of incretins in response to carbohydrates is mediated via taste receptors by feeding rats the sweet-tasting compounds saccharin, acesulfame potassium, d-tryptophan, sucralose, or stevia. Oral gavage of these sweeteners did not reduce the blood glucose excursion to a subsequent intraperitoneal glucose tolerance test. Neither oral sucralose nor oral stevia reduced blood glucose levels in Zucker diabetic fatty rats. Finally, whereas oral glucose increased plasma GIP levels approximately 4-fold and GLP-1 levels approximately 2.5-fold postadministration, none of the sweeteners tested significantly increased levels of these incretins. Collectively, our findings do not support the concept that release of incretins from enteroendocrine cells is triggered by carbohydrates via a pathway identical to the sensation of “sweet taste” in the tongue.

PMID: 19106249 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Here, do some research and don’t forget your keywords!

i gave up splenda when i learned about the pesticide connection…now i use a little stevia, or raw honey. i don’t get over anal about it…if i am somewhere, and they only have sugar, or splenda, or whatever, I use it…but day in and day out…stevia or honey.

Just use honey.

[quote]maineiac42 wrote:
shit gives me a head ache [/quote]

I bet if you went to the doctor, he’d tell you that your diet was shit.

I am speaking purely anecdotally.

When I use sucralose I break out, my skin gets itchy, and I can’t cut weight down like w/o using it.

[quote]K2000 wrote:

[quote]Razorslim wrote:
I would do the opposite of anything the Center for Science in the Public Interest says to do. they are a bunch of liberal, junk scientist, fun police types.[/quote]

Okay, that’s easy then… just eat lots of sugar and Aspartame. Done!

I have to laugh at people who post on a scientific bodybuilding website, who act like they hate science. CSPI doesn’t do any studies, they merely report on the results that other people got. I’ll take your comment to mean that you don’t know jack shit about them. But the point is that Sucralose is considered the safest artificial sweetener… it’s had the best testing, and the most testing. Including more testing than Stevia. And it’s passed those tests.

This stuff about artificial sweeteners supposedly making you eat more sounds like bullshit to me. Unless I start seeing some credible links, I’ll assume that’s the case.

Anybody who doesn’t want to eat artificial sweeteners, more power to you. But that’s not me. I grew up on ‘Carob naturally flavored’ protein powder and ‘naturally flavored’ Vanilla protein powder that tasted like crap unless you blended it with a banana and honey. I NEVER want to go back to those days. You can get unsweetened protein powder if you want it… knock yourself out.

[/quote]

What concerns me about the artificial sweetners is that they were introduced as ways for people to keep their weight under control yet have had the opposite effect. We got sweet’n’lo, we got Nutrasweet, we got Splenda and I will also add in HFCS, and other soy, dairy, wheat, and corn derivitaves that have saturated out food supply resulting in fatter and sicker Americans. There is too much evidence that shows that these products are really not that good for human consumption. I try to avoid them, though, as afar as I am concerned, everyone else is free to consume as much as they want. Hopefully time will show that these are fine in moderation.

Now don’t get me started on acetominophen…

[quote]HK24719 wrote:

Which studies?

However…

[/quote]

You want a study?
Go eat 10 packets of splenda on a empty stomach.
Take your BS reading after 15 min.
No gauge if your more hungry or less hungry after consumption.

There you go.

[quote]pcdude wrote:

The studies show: Stevia > Sucralose > Aspartame (never ever consume)

However…

[/quote]
If this is the case, what do you suggest for protein powder, as almost all whey protein blends have some sort of atrificial sweetener in them? I’ve seen pure whey isolates online, but they are really expensive for general use.[/quote]

My protein is sweetened with stevia. I only consume it on workout days, and only peri-wo . So, if anything, a BS spike from pseudo-sugar is welcomed, and I am far from abusing it.

[quote]K2000 wrote:

[quote]Razorslim wrote:

But the point is that Sucralose is considered the safest artificial sweetener… it’s had the best testing, and the most testing. Including more testing than Stevia. And it’s passed those tests.
[/quote]

Your being silly.
Safest by who?
Best testing by who?
Most testing? More than saccharine, aspartame, cyclamates, acefulsame-k?

You honestly hold sucralose above stevia?

[/quote]

[quote]HK24719 wrote:

Which studies?

However…

[/quote]

You want a study?
Go eat 10 packets of splenda on a empty stomach.
Take your BS reading after 15 min.
No gauge if your more hungry or less hungry after consumption.

There you go.

[/quote]

I regularly consume beverages sweetened with quite a bit of sucralose and have yet to find that doing so makes me any hungrier.

I sweeten my morning coffee with a two (not 10) packets of splenda or stevia. I have this with a scoop of protein powder, also sweetened with sucralose. I usually don’t eat for three or four hours after this. Hunger has never been a problem. If anything is going to spike insulin, it’s the protein.

Frankly I would not be surprised if some people have an insulin response to sweeteners, and these were the same people whose insulin responses were already out of whack.