T Nation

Can I Drink Wine?

I read that athletes and bodybuilders should keep away from alcohol. But I also know that moderate amounts of wine (1 glass per day) are very good for health.

So should I drink a little wine, like every other day? Or even this moderate amount will impair strength and muscle gains?

Bob

[quote]BobPit wrote:
I read that athletes and bodybuilders should keep away from alcohol. But I also know that moderate amounts of wine (1 glass per day) are very good for health.

So should I drink a little wine, like every other day? Or even this moderate amount will impair strength and muscle gains?

Bob
[/quote]

As long as you’re not over doing it.
A couple glasses a week should be fine. I prefer using imported wine or making my own.
Life is too short to do EVERYTHING by the book.

One of the things that makes wine “good for you” is the resveratrol in red wine. You can get all the benefit (and more, because it’s concentrated) from supplements like REZ-V, without the alcohol.

But if your point is that you like to drink wine, and you aren’t really doing it because it’s beneficial, then drink wine.

Wine is awesome. Winos suck. Get it?

[quote]BobPit wrote:

Bob
[/quote]

i never had a problem with gains while drinking red wine. i find it actually seems to help some, if i don’t overdo it. when i drink, it’s usually 1-2 servings as a nightcap.

i don’t know about losing weight and getting cut, but if you’re bulking, it shouldn’t hurt.

As long as you’re at least 21 or live in Amsterdam you can do whatever you want.

There are health benefits to moderate drinking, but drink the wine because you WANT to, not just because of the purported health benefits. There’s no reason for someone to start drinking if they don’t already like to. Enjoy the drink.

The reason I asked is because yesterday night I had a terrible wo.

The previous night I had only 5 hours of sleep. Then at 15:30 I had a nice meal with a glass of extra sweet and strong red wine, which I love. I slept a couple of hours and then went to the gym. My performance was very low.

I hope it was mostly because of the wine.

Maybe if I refrain and drink only at night.

Bob

[quote]BobPit wrote:
The previous night I had only 5 hours of sleep. Then at 15:30 I had a nice meal with a glass of extra sweet and strong red wine, which I love. I slept a couple of hours and then went to the gym. My performance was very low.

Bob[/quote]

seems like it was a sleep thing.

In the early 80s I would work out regularly at the UConn Field House. One night a friend showed up unexpectedly and we went to Huskies. I had 2-3 glasses of red wine. I also ate some food.

The next morning, after plenty of sleep, I went to work out and I was obviously “off” because of the after-effects of the wine. This was a time in my life when I was drinking regularly enough that I knew my limits and could drink several glasses without acting like a fool.

But after my performance in the gym that Friday morning, I knew that the lack of focus/effort was a consequence of the wine 12 hours before. I decided then that I no longer appreciated the after effects.

There are plenty of obstacles to overcome to make progress in the gym. I don’t drink alcohol partially because I don’t want to create those obstacles myself.

Do what works for you; just understand your reasons and accept the consequences.

[quote]BobPit wrote:
The reason I asked is because yesterday night I had a terrible wo.

Bob[/quote]

for what it’s worth:

i drink wine everyday as it is my business. i’d say at least 2 glasses a day from tasting various bottles. as long as i’m healthy and rested it doesn’t affect my workouts.

however if i’m low on sleep this normal daily consumption can really kick me when i’m down. i stay away from it when i’m lifting heavy for extended periods for the same reason.

another particular of my situation is that most of my consumption is during the business day. i usually have a brief workout every morning and a more intense session @ night.i’m not usually recovering with much alcohol still in my system. i think the same amount of wine would hit me more on the negative if drunk with my evening meal.