T Nation

Can I Bench 220 Pounds by October?

My gym buddy made a bet with a friend of his that he and I would be able to bench press 100kg (220 pounds) 1RM by the beginning of October. We started going to the gym at the beginning of February this year, doing whole body exercises three times a week, alternating workouts each session. Each exercise is 4 sets of 6 reps:

workout 1: Bench Press, squats, chin ups

workout 2: Bent-over rows, deadlifts, shoulder press

We don’t have much control over diet (eating college food, but its fairly healthy), I am taking 10g creatine/day and 3g of HMB, as well as 30g of protein twice a day in the form of shakes. We get about 8 hours sleep a night.

My question is, given that I am currently lifting 155 pounds (4x6 reps), how realistic is our goal of lifting 220 (1RM) by October? Is there anything we could do to maximise our chances of getting there? We’re not obsessing about bench press or focussing on numbers, but i was wondering how realistic this is.

Thanks

It’s entirely possible, switch up your reps on bench every 5 weeks. I do 10,8,6,4,2 for 5-6 weeks then switch to 10x3, that way you are constantly progressing.

Workout more often than 3 times per week if you want to see faster growth.

Bench press twice per week and use dumbells and barbell. There is a carryover.

Varying the rep ranges at certain times is good too.

Learn the powerlifter’s setup for bench; Dave Tate has a video somewhere where he explains the particulars.

This will instantly add weight to your bench and protect your shoulders from injury.

[quote]aeyogi wrote:
Learn the powerlifter’s setup for bench; Dave Tate has a video somewhere where he explains the particulars.

This will instantly add weight to your bench and protect your shoulders from injury.[/quote]

x2

You’d probably be good for 185 for a 1rm. Getting 220 is 35lb. increase in 4 months. If you’re doing things right, I’d be surprised if you didn’t get 220 or more by then. Sky’s the limit, man.

Yeah if you dont do it you have some stuff to worry about. The biggest thing you can do to increase that bench is:

Gain body weight: Eat progressively more and more so that you go up in scale weight week to week. Also train 4x per week to make sure as much of that mass is muscle as possible.

-chris

[quote]Avocado wrote:
Yeah if you dont do it you have some stuff to worry about. The biggest thing you can do to increase that bench is:

Gain body weight: Eat progressively more and more so that you go up in scale weight week to week. Also train 4x per week to make sure as much of that mass is muscle as possible.

-chris[/quote]

I’m making an assumption but to clarify to OP, this does not mean train bench 4 times per week.

how is your technique?

1 do you have a strong arched position with your traps driving into the bench?
2 are your feet planted with extreme intensity
3 do you know how to “anchor” your shoulder girdle with your lats?
4 are you breathing deep enough to get granite tight?

if you are yes to the above your goal should be easy to meet

here is a good formula to gauge your prgress

[(weight lifted) X (number of reps) X (.0333)] + weight lifted = theoritical 1 rep max

the formula is a pretty damn good way to predict your top end

for example 225 lbs for 8 reps indicates a theoretical 1RM of 285
405 lbs for 8 reps indicates 510 pounds

the formula is not perfect but is great for determining a “best set”

what’s better 200X8 or 220X5?.. the formula will let you know

Bench press more than once a week and you’re going to hit 220 very soon.

baw buddy i dont think so probably at least 185

[quote]WTB wrote:
baw buddy i dont think so probably at least 185 [/quote]

He could probably bench 180-190 as his 1RM right now. Seems sort of silly to think that’s what he would be 1RM 3 months from now.