Can I Become a Powerlifter?

I would really like to compete in powerlifting competitions but I feel like I just don’t lift enough yet to have a proper meet?

My prs are

150 kg / 330 lbs deadlift

70 kg / 154 lbs Benchpress

80 kg / 176 lbs Squat ( I’m improving my Squat atm.)
Update Yesterday I had a huge jump to 100 kg 220 lbs

I’m at a bodyweight of 73 kg / 161 lbs and I’m located in Germany

I would apreachiate if someone helps me out a bit :slight_smile:

1 Like

I mean, nothing’s stopping you from signing up for a meet right now. You probably wouldn’t do very well competitively, but you’ll get experience out of it and figure out if you even enjoy the sport.

As long as you can lift the bar on all 3 lifts, you can be a powerlifter

5 Likes

What do people in my Weightclass normally lift? What weight classes are there?

Just Google a meet near you and enter at whatever weight you are. I would imagine the environment will be very supportive. I really can’t think of any better way to start competing than to compete.

3 Likes

+1 here. Consider it a learning experience and go in humble and prepared to learn. Could provide some serious motivation.

3 Likes

I’m doing a comp in December even though I know my lifts suck ass. I’m doing it for the experience personally. Who cares? If you want to really compete, you better start now anyway

1 Like

There’s so much overthinking when it comes to strength sports.

It’s a sport. The meet is a game.

The first time you ever played basketball, did you wonder what the average points scored per game were? Did you wonder about how tall the average players your age were? Did you wonder about free throw percentages? Or did you just go out with some friends and shoot some baskets and learn as you go?

It’s no different. Show up to a meet and play the game. See if you even LIKE the sport before you invest a lot of time learning how to play it. I went through a TON of sports as a kid before I found the ones I liked. I can only imagine how awful I would have felt if I spent MONTHS prepping for my first ever soccer game only trot out onto the field and find out I don’t like the game.

2 Likes

Most powerlifters will slap you on the back and tell you good job . Just having the balls stepping on the platform. At the end of the day its about you and personal achievement starting out.

3 Likes

Me, a 48 y.o. natural HIT bodybuilder have learned to appreciate powerlifting. Turns out I have a co-worker in the game. We will attend a full day workshop by a world champion powerlifter. My personal goal with this is to work on my technique. Maybe something for you to consider?

2 Likes

I would recommend competing in powerlifting to anyone wanting to add muscle and/or strength.

The competition is fun.
You always have short term goals: PR’s
The goals are easily measured.
You build a solid foundation to build a good physique.
You learn to manage your anxiety in competition.

You can figure this out by going to open powerlifting’s website.

I’d wager that if you pick a meet a few months out, and have a decent program leading into it, that those numbers will improve going into the meet.

We all start somewhere. I have a feeling the people who jump into the sport early get stronger faster than those who wait until they are “strong enough”.

1 Like