Can Hand Grips Develop Forearm Size?

Are hand grips atleast applicable in the development of forearms?

Of course, grip is mainly reliant on forearm strength. But at least for me, forearms are one of those body parts where different things work for different people, sometimes very different things. I’d recommend doing a little bit of everything until you find what works best for you. There’s a few good articles about building forearms if you look around

use your left hand once in awhile to even out of the forearm development. Unless you’re left handed like me.

My forearms just grow naturally in sync as a train; I see a lot of people relying on straps and that’s where I see people’s forearms start to fall behind.

I’m by no means an expert, but in the past 3 weeks I’ve used fat gripz for alot of different things [bench, curls, reverse curls] and done rope chins in place of regular and it’s working. Not sure if they’ve grown, but I do have some new veins poking through that weren’t before and that looks pretty cool.

pinwheels have helped mine more than most other stuff.

Hands grip training with COC never did anything for my forearms, except being stronger to close harder COC. Hands grip exercise + lifting combined also leaded to pain in forearm and wrist in my case.

[quote]ALX wrote:
Hands grip training with COC never did anything for my forearms, except being stronger to close harder COC. Hands grip exercise + lifting combined also leaded to pain in forearm and wrist in my case.[/quote]

Gotta also work the hand/finger extensors, actually goes a long way towards relieving forearm/wrist pain associated with grip training.

OP:
Hand gripper training can cause an overload/stimulation of the gripping muscles in the forearm. There is nothing “special” about the forearm musculature as opposed to any other muscle group. Give them a reason to grow and fuel to do so with and they will (at least to the best of their ability).

Most of the people who claim their forearms don’t grow from gripper training either:

1. weren’t eating enough to be gaining weight/mass overall (no building blocks for their body to work with)
  2. were doing very low rep work with minimal fatigue (which can result in increased nervous system recruitment without really requiring the body to add large amounts of muscle)
  3. never got beyond the #2 (if that)
  4. just had crappy forearm genetics and wouldn’t have built impressive forearms no matter what exercises they did
  5. had unrealistic expectations (gripper training isn’t going to turn you from Olive Oil to Popeye overnight)

That said, keep in mind, as plateau mentioned above, that the forearm is made up of several muscles and that the large elbow flexors (brachiradialis and brachialis in particular) make up a large portion of the forearm’s overall mass. So if you want to develop them to their fullest, you absolutely must train these muscles as well.

[quote]Sentoguy wrote: . . . . .

Most of the people who claim their forearms don’t grow from gripper training either:

1. weren’t eating enough to be gaining weight/mass overall (no building blocks for their body to work with)
  2. were doing very low rep work with minimal fatigue (which can result in increased nervous system recruitment without really requiring the body to add large amounts of muscle)
  4. just had crappy forearm genetics and wouldn’t have built impressive forearms no matter what exercises they did
  5. had unrealistic expectations (gripper training isn’t going to turn you from Olive Oil to Popeye overnight)

That said, keep in mind, as plateau mentioned above, that the forearm is made up of several muscles and that the large elbow flexors (brachiradialis and brachialis in particular) make up a large portion of the forearm’s overall mass. So if you want to develop them to their fullest, you absolutely must train these muscles as well.[/quote]

#2 on here is very true at least in my experience, when i was following west side for skinny folks, every time i did the RE day for upper body i also felt a huge pump and burning sensation at the same time in my foremans, but i would think that doing a heavy day along with a higher rep day would really be enough, and if not then also throw in framers walks, and try doing pull ups with only 2 fingers on the bar

[quote]young n wrote:

[quote]Sentoguy wrote: . . . . .

That said, keep in mind, as plateau mentioned above, that the forearm is made up of several muscles and that the large elbow flexors (brachiradialis and brachialis in particular) make up a large portion of the forearm’s overall mass. So if you want to develop them to their fullest, you absolutely must train these muscles as well.[/quote]

#2 on here is very true at least in my experience, when i was following west side for skinny folks, every time i did the RE day for upper body i also felt a huge pump and burning sensation at the same time in my foremans, but i would think that doing a heavy day along with a higher rep day would really be enough, and if not then also throw in framers walks, and try doing pull ups with only 2 fingers on the bar
[/quote]

Yeah, I’m not saying not to do ME work for grip, but if all you ever do is very low rep work (1-3 reps) with minimal fatigue (on a caloric maintenance or deficit) then you probably aren’t going to build lots of muscle (anywhere).

btw, gorgeous dog young n. Is he/she yours?