Can Football be Considered a Strength Sport?

Well, I just started playing football… never played before so i decided i would start goin out to practice with a buddy of mine… its just for fun… but anyway, they put me on defensive line… anyone got any good pointers whos been playin footbal for a while? thx

quick hands are a plus on the dline. also you gotta be able so figure out weaknesses in a game situation pretty quick. if you can make on the fly adjustments like that you’ll be money in the bank.

Football is the defintion ofa strength sport if you ask me.

I think I agree with the prevoius poster. As a D-line man you have to be able to read where the play is going before it gets there.

Hopefully your coaches are teaching you keys ans responsibilites based on your position.

If you are able to read your key and take care of your responsiblities you should do well.

Strength sports: Oly lifting, powerlifting, strongman, Highland games

Football is not a strength sport, just an awesome one. If Roger Goodell has his way, it will get less awesome every year.

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:

Football is not a strength sport, just an awesome one. If Roger Goodell has his way, it will get less awesome every year.[/quote]

Craziness. Especially considering olympic and power lifting is used to prepare for the season?

Football is never a strength sport, nor is rugby. Both are fucking awesome though.

[quote]JGerman wrote:
Steel Nation wrote:

Football is not a strength sport, just an awesome one. If Roger Goodell has his way, it will get less awesome every year.

Craziness. Especially considering olympic and power lifting is used to prepare for the season?

[/quote]

By your argument, any athlete that squats, benches, deadlifts, cleans, and snatches is training for a strength sport.

Are you sure you want to make that leap?

Leap?

Nascar and bodybuilding are a sport too…and I never said that anyone who does those lifts is training for a strength sport.

So what are the criteria for strength sports? What makes it a sport?

Yes strength is important in football for sure, still doesnt make it into a strength sport.

Strength being the primary thing involved. Football/rugby involve speed, co-ordination, size, the ability to read the game and memorize plays, line runing, intangibles etc etc.

No ball involved would be basic start I guess.

[quote]JGerman wrote:
So what are the criteria for strength sports? What makes it a sport? [/quote]

To me, strength sports are not team sports (although one could lift for a club) but rather a competition between an athlete and the weight, where the primary objective of the athlete is to move the weighted object a predetermined distance/path which may or may not be timed.

While training for football uses strength sports, I wouldn’t call the sport of football a strength sport.

[quote]Dave284 wrote:
Strength being the primary thing involved. Football/rugby involve speed, co-ordination, size, the ability to read the game and memorize plays, line runing, intangibles etc etc.

No ball involved would be basic start I guess.[/quote]

I love this thread.

So badmiton is a strength sport? How about frisbee golf?

[quote]dfreezy wrote:
JGerman wrote:

To me, strength sports are not team sports (although one could lift for a club) but rather a competition between an athlete and the weight, where the primary objective of the athlete is to move the weighted object a predetermined distance/path which may or may not be timed.

While training for football uses strength sports, I wouldn’t call the sport of football a strength sport.[/quote]

“where the primary objective of the athlete is to move the weighted object a predetermined distance/path which may or may not be timed”, this sounds like football to me. Offensive tackle has to pull (run across the formation(distance/path)) to kick out the defensive end (weighted object that actually fights against you). There are tons of scenarios that I could think of in football that match this.

Thanks for the insight everyone. Do you think you can find a successful football player that would ever say football is not a strength sport??

No, football isn’t a strength sport. I think the “looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane” came from a football coach. Every football player lifts, but great weight room guys aren’t always great football players. Football is mostly a speed and technique game. Even the Offensive Line has become more about body mass and technique then strength.

If you are going to lift for D-line I would suggest power cleans, squats, and inclines to be the base of you’re weight workout. Throw in some hammer curls or buy a pair of grips for hand strength. And make sure you do at least a half hour of technique work for every hour you put in in the weight room.

I personally consider strength sports to be pretty much limited to powerlifting, strongman, oly lifting, and highland games. I consider football to be a combat sport, but that’s just me.

[quote]ebraunschweiler wrote:
Well, I just started playing football… never played before so i decided i would start goin out to practice with a buddy of mine… its just for fun… but anyway, they put me on defensive line… anyone got any good pointers whos been playin footbal for a while? thx[/quote]

As far as lifting goes in no particular order really except the first one.
SQUATS! Deadlifts, bench press, incline bench press, pull ups, power cleans, leg press , military press should be the staple of your workouts in my opinion basically.

Readers digest version I would suggest:

4 weeks of lots of heavy lifting in the ranges of 1-5 reps 85%+ of your max 4-6 sets per exercise, and 2-5 minutes rest between sets for this type of strength training and 20-24 total sets per workout.

If you already have the mass this is what I would suggest^ and followed by a phase of power for 4 week again assuming your happy with your current mass. I can elaborate more if you want just say the word but this is just something basic^… :slight_smile:

Click on that youtube link, and go from there…Everything DeFranco does is insane and it works.

Im just wondering what league are you playing for? is this semipro or something?

[quote]JGerman wrote:
Dave284 wrote:

No ball involved would be basic start I guess.

I love this thread.

So badmiton is a strength sport? How about frisbee golf?

[/quote]

I was using a ball as an example lol I think its pretty clear what I meant.