Can Eye Color Change?

I was wondering…

If it’s possible for eye color to change. Looking back at old photos of a younger me, I noticed I had really dark (black) eyes. This was around age 6-10. Only recently in my latest high school years I developed really light brown eyes with a very subtle green ring. My dad has light brown/grey eyes with a blue ring around. My mom has dark brown eyes. I know this is highly genetic and is based on chance, but judging by my eye color, what are the chances my eyes will get any lighter and/or change color?

Also, is there a way to change your eye color naturally?

Can sun exposure at the age of 18 change eye color. I know when you are younger, sun exposure triggers melanin production which gives the eye color.

Thanks

My eye color seems to change with the seasons, which would support your sun exposure theory. In the summer, I have very vivid blue eyes. In the winter, it’s more of a green/yellowish color.

Yes, i dont know the theory behind it, but i know a few people who its happened to. Just like changing hair colour i suppose.

Cool

I never really paid any attention until lately, where people randomly tell me I have really light eyes. Today I looked in my mirror with the sunlight and I have light-medium brown with this kind of green at the bottom part of my eyes.

I am guessing then, sun exposure can only temporally affect eye color.

First passport: blue
Second passport: grey
Third passport: green
Subsequent passports: mixed colours

…so I guess they gave up…

Usually sun exposure causes eyes to darken just like it does for the skin. It causes a build up of melanin. A lot of kids are born with lighter eyes and they darken as they grow old. Of course eyes can change shades depending on ambient light and clothing.

Whatever eye color you have, I can change it to black and blue with my fist :^)

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:
Whatever eye color you have, I can change it to black and blue with my fist :^)[/quote]

Oooooo burn, smoke, fire, flame!!!

She tagged you on that one dude! :smiley:

I was born with bright blue eyes, now I have bright green eyes. No clue why they changed just noticed it one day in the mirror.

It’s genetically predetermined (ie. you can’t have blue then brown eyes), but slight variations may occur (ie. you can have brownish black to light brown eyes).

[quote]undeadlift wrote:
It’s genetically predetermined (ie. you can’t have blue then brown eyes), but slight variations may occur (ie. you can have brownish black to light brown eyes).[/quote]

Actually, my daughter was born with blue eyes but within a few months they changed to brown. My understanding is that this is quite common among infants.

A lot of people’s eye color changes with their mood, too.

[quote]undeadlift wrote:
It’s genetically predetermined (ie. you can’t have blue then brown eyes), but slight variations may occur (ie. you can have brownish black to light brown eyes).[/quote]
Actually my son was born with blue eyes,he`s 2 years now and his eyes are brown…

Mine also change with what Im wearing.

If Im wearing deep purple or green they are bright green.

Grey, they turn grey.

Blue they turn greenish-blue.

It’s kinda cool.

And if Im pissed, they turn dark green.

Wikipedia says yes, but rarely, and it’s do to sun exposure like you guys said.

I had always heard that many babies were born with blue eyes and that they change. I know that the patterns of the iris are set after the first year or two and never change. Iris recognition is the most accurate biometric available, even more so than DNA comparison. This does not hold the same for pigmentation I guess.

[quote]BodyBldgBabe wrote:
Mine also change with what Im wearing.

If Im wearing deep purple or green they are bright green.

Grey, they turn grey.

Blue they turn greenish-blue.

It’s kinda cool.

And if Im pissed, they turn dark green. [/quote]

They probably aren’t changing color then, it’s just your perception. You have elements of each pigment color in your eyes, and they are emphasized with different lighting and colors you are wearing. Kinda like those illusions where they make the same colored shape appear different by surrounding it with a different color background. My eyes are blue and are very bright and deep when I wear a blue or a purple shirt. When wearing other colors, they appear lighter/more grey. It’s still cool though.

When I first met my husband 25 years ago his eyes were blue. They gradually faded over the years, and now they’re gray.