T Nation

Can Creatine Be Used While Cutting?

I have been weightlifting solidly for about two years now. I have went from 155lbs to about 200lbs, and now i’m looking to cut.

Can i still use creatine while cutting to try and maintain my strenght? or will any effects be negated by trying to cut?

It will probably make you retain water, but that’s about it.

Id argue it BETTER when cutting it helps keep the muscles hydrated while they are likely low in glycogen storage due to the diet and ANYTHING that we can do to get an extra repp etc while hypocaloric is GOOD

if you want the ripped, defined, striated look we all want from a cut, then no. don’t use creatine.

[quote]texasguy wrote:
if you want the ripped, defined, striated look we all want from a cut, then no. don’t use creatine. [/quote]

Good God, does no one use the search function, or even have a memory of more than three days?

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1557346

[quote]Today’s tip comes from Christian Thibaudeau:

Creatine and Cutting

Should you take creatine while on a fat loss diet? I wouldn’t say that it’s a “must,” but it’s pretty darn close to being one. While on a diet, creatine will allow you to be able to sustain a higher level of effort in the gym. It’ll also swell your muscles which is helpful psychologically (you won’t feel as if your muscles are wasting away because they’re “flat.”)[/quote]

thank you very much…i apologize for not using the search function first.

Thank you for that valuable tip.