T Nation

Can Cardio Be Unhealthy???

i have been doing cardio 30-45 minutes everyday( also training 4 times a week with weights upper/lower) in trying to build some endurence , lose body fat, overall heart health and try to put whatever lean mass i can on my body ( don’t wana be overly huge ) im not sure if doing this much cardio could actully do more harm then good towards my goals and health , it was a question in the back of my mind that i needed to be answer , i feel if im not doing it everyday these goals will not be reached

-jer

The American Heart Associate recently updated their recommendation to 1 hour a day most days of the week. What you’re doing is fine for health.

LOL if we all ate and trained how the government suggested i dont think this website would exist im sorry to say

[quote]travis7 wrote:
The American Heart Associate recently updated their recommendation to 1 hour a day most days of the week. What you’re doing is fine for health.[/quote]

Yeah, cause the average american(read: fatass) needs it!. Over course, the average overweight-obese person is just going to see an hour and say “an hour!?! I could never have that much time…muches on donut, plays world of warcraft

Sigh…

(not that an hour of cardio a day is bad or anything)

[quote]john-lennon wrote:
LOL if we all ate and trained how the government suggested i dont think this website would exist im sorry to say[/quote]

This is completely irrelevant to the original post or my post.

At one time I would ride my bicycle to work, and run home after the shift. The next day it was run that 4 1/2 back to work, and bike home eight hours later. Shifts were 7 days on, 2 off, 6 on, 2 off, 7 on 4 off. I would do circuits on my days off. It sure worked for me, it will for you. Keep it up and many years from now you will be happy with yourself.

As with just about everything, it depends on you and how you’re doing your cardiovascular exercise. If you respond like most people and are not going overboard with the intensity, it’s probably fine.

On the other hand, there are some people for whom this amount of endurance activity could have negative effects, especially when performed at higher intensity levels.

[quote]jer27 wrote:
i have been doing cardio 30-45 minutes everyday( also training 4 times a week with weights upper/lower) in trying to build some endurence , lose body fat, overall heart health and try to put whatever lean mass i can on my body ( don’t wana be overly huge ) im not sure if doing this much cardio could actully do more harm then good towards my goals and health , it was a question in the back of my mind that i needed to be answer , i feel if im not doing it everyday these goals will not be reached

-jer[/quote]

I’ve reduced my cardio to every other day. Normally 1 hr to 1 hr 15 mins. For several years I ran every day and found it difficult to maintain the weight and strength I desired. Even after a couple of decades of this I don’t think I’d ever want to give it up or cut back unless absolutely necessary. If you are able to maintain the upper body strength and weight you desire I’d say run every day for as long as you can manage it.

I plan to start running about 9 miles a week, (3 miles 3 day a week). When i was actually doing it, it only amounted to about 1 hour and 15 minutes per week, and I felt much better conditioned.

Would sprints be better if looking like 80’s arnold is my pipe dream? They condition you pretty well, too, at least as well as distance running. Say, 40 yard sprint, walk back, repeat for about a half hour?

[quote]jer27 wrote:
don’t wana be overly huge[/quote]

Retard.

Wait, that wasn’t politically correct at all, was it?

Intellectually Uneven

There, much better.

Only to the extent that too much, poorly planned and integrated cardio can lead to overtraining, tax the joints, and interfere with physique goals. These can be big issues. But not in the sense that it will damage your heart and the like.

i do jump rope at fast past with very little breaks when fatigued ( 1 minute at most ) ands i run on the tred mill at 6.0 mph and take about 3 - 2 minute breaks in between so thats about 39 mintues of running on 6.0 , usally same hard intensity everyday , i want a lean muscular physic , but im also getting into boxing so i wanted to gain a little endurence , but i feel as if i maybe doing more harm then good, almost getting obssesed , don’t get me wrong when i say overly huge ,

i still wanna have a body type when i look like i work out and are jacked , but i don’t want a fat bulky look when im so big my belly comes out and it gets harder to move around.