T Nation

Can Calisthenics Make You Muscular and Ripped?

i watched a video on youtube about these guys who do nothing but bodyweight exercises and are ripped. i really want to get some pecs and abs and calisthenics look like they could help me.

i have also seen guys at my school who could do about close to 100 push ups and are muscular.

will a combination of sprints and body weight exercises make me muscular and ripped.
or will it just make me skinnier,because i hard if you combine any type of cardio and calisthenics it will make you skinny.

First, how much you weigh has a lot to do wit how much and what you eat.

Second: Lifting weights or lifting your body is bot lifting for the muscles. The issue is that doing 100 pushups is like benching 50 pounds: after a while, it will do nothing for your muscle size. You need to make certain exercises harder so performing them in a lower rep range is challenging. Do basic pushups build muscle? Only for a beginner. Do things like handstand pushups, one armed pushups, one legged squats, front levers etc build muscle? Yes.

My advice to you would be to get Ross Enamait's ebook 'Never Gymless', it's cheap and contains everything you will need for at least the next year.

Good luck.

EDIT: Please realise that a lot of the guys you look up to are genetically blessed. If all you care about is looks, just o to the gym; it is by far the easiest way to do it.

Bodyweight movements can be effective, sure. But weights will be more effective. Especially as you get to the point where pushups, situps, etc. are not very challenging.

Agreed. You can definitely build a nice physique with bodyweight exercises only but the key (as other responses have mentioned) is progressive resistance. Your muscles don't know what it is they're lifting, as long as they receive an appropriate stimulus, they'll grow.

Progression in weight training is straightforward as you simply add weight to the bar. In bodyweight exercises, you usually have to do a more challenging variation of the movement or find a way to add weight to your body with weight belts or vests. Don't listen to anyone who craps on bodyweight exercises. As long as they're done with an intelligent progression, they can be very effective for quite a long time

He's 6' tall, 165 pounds, 16 years old, and refuses to listen to the answers to nearly identical questions he's already asked.

http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_beginner/getting_the_body_of_a_sprinter_for_track

http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/diet_performance_nutrition_supplements/eating_for_track_and_field

Obsessing over bodyweight training is the last thing this kid needs.

Hence the edit. I wrote the bulk of the post before I realised who he was.

u would have to learn how to control the movments and really hit the slower deeper muscles,im new at calisthenics and I also am a hard gainer and all this body weight training does nothing if trying to pack on size

just keep eating the right foods and a lot of them and the dwt will work

Just like weight training it depends if you eat, train and recover to get big. You would have to progress toward higher intensity work like planche pushups , handstand pushups, ring work etc. This same concept applies to weight training where you increase weight over time instead of just lifting the bar. You would have to train hard like a gymnast so it might be beneficial to look at how they progressed. I think you would have to build a high work capacity doing this type of work to really force a need to build muscle and that comes with time like all other training methods.

You’ll get better answers from someone who has spent a lot of time training calisthenics.

You realise this thread has been dead longer than my parents marriage don’t you? I’m pretty sure the OP is as unlikely to listen now as he was when he was an active member.

[quote]dagill2 wrote:
You realise this thread has been dead longer than my parents marriage don’t you? I’m pretty sure the OP is as unlikely to listen now as he was when he was an active member.[/quote]

LOL, I was too stupid to catch that.

[quote]dagill2 wrote:
You realise this thread has been dead longer than my parents marriage don’t you?
[/quote]

Gallows humor.

Well, for whoever is reading this for information purposes sprinting will increase your growth hormone. There are plenty of articles on the internet and this site regarding that subject. Ive personally seen my legs get more defined without losing strength doing sprints.

[quote]ActivitiesGuy wrote:

[quote]dagill2 wrote:
You realise this thread has been dead longer than my parents marriage don’t you?
[/quote]

Gallows humor.[/quote]
I wrote worse but thought better of it before posting. I don’t want people here realising I’m an arsehole yet.