T Nation

Can Blaine Beat 9 Minutes?

…and do we really care?

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2006/05/08/1146940460019.html

I liked some of Blaine’s previous stunts, but I think this is just getting ridiculous. If the guy wants to one-up Houdini, then show up, hold your breath for 9 minutes, escape the chains, and be gone. You don’t need 7 days in the water for that. You don’t need a frickin 2 hour special on ABC for that. You don’t need doctors saying it’s dangerous for that.

Everyone knows it’s dangerous, difficult and almost impossible, so spare us the build-up and just do it, Mr Blaine.

Anyway…what do you guys think? Is this functional training? Does he still need fish oils if he’s already living like a fish…? :slight_smile:

I personally like the guy and everything he’s diong. His magic is really incredible…If you’ve ever watched the Street Magic (I think that’s the name) on TLC you’d be blown away. I think these stunts on TV aren’t really magic, but he’s not claiming they are. He’s showing it as more of what a person can do with their body kind of thing, which is incredible and shows that we’re not near tapping into all we can really do. You can’t compare him to Houdini at all…If Houdini were alive now, he’d be on TV just like everyone else.

I like the shit he does, I find it pretty interesting, and as lostinthought said: I think hes doing it to prove to people what our body can do, not ‘do magic.’

That guy Chris Angel (mindfreak) is pretty cool, too.

I honestly would not be suprised if this guy gets seriously hurt or dies during this stunt.

Im not a fan of him. For a guy that seems as intelligent and talented as he is, I think he would be better off doing something contributing to society rather than acting like a jackass on television.

I like his card tricks.

Anyone know any books to learn good card tricks?

[quote]Velvet Revolver wrote:
Im not a fan of him. For a guy that seems as intelligent and talented as he is, I think he would be better off doing something contributing to society rather than acting like a jackass on television. [/quote]
You’re just jealous because no one would pay you to act like a jackass on television. Don’t hate the player, hate the game.

Not really a fan of magic and all, but I do like watching Blaine. His street stuff and the reactions he gets are entertaining.

And the stunts he performs are often a test of mind and body where he takes it to a level most all of us will never know. Anytime someone pushes their mental and physical abilities to the point he does in some of his stunts, I am going to watch and be interested.

[quote]lucky_swami wrote:
I like his card tricks.

Anyone know any books to learn good card tricks?[/quote]

Sure, the Royal Road to Card Magic…you can get the Dover Publications version pretty cheap online.

The performance is the whole point. He’s an entertainer. No one would care if some guy just held his breath for 9 minutes, and he wouldn’t make any money off of it (quick trivia, who currently holds the record? Answer: who gives a shit?). The holding your breath for 9 minutes may be the most difficult part, but it’s certainly not the thing that’s going to attract the attention.

That said, I don’t think he’ll pull it off. Holding your breath for 9 minutes is crazy.

No, he can’t do it, just over seven minutes, but thats still f-ing impressive.

Seven minutes, 8 seconds. He obviously couldnt do it from the start, what a pussy.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
Seven minutes, 8 seconds. He obviously couldnt do it from the start, what a pussy.[/quote]

In your last post in this thread (before that) you were all praise for him.

The guy is a total idiot.

I dont find him inspirational, just a joke. Who cares how long he holds his breath for. Hes a tool.
The only part of his stunt that amused me was when he was haning in that bloody box in london and a guy pulled up and started frying sausages next to him to make him feel hungry.
How the New yorkers, who strike me as a cynical bunch otherwise can get so enthusiastic about this fella i have no idea.
He’s a strange strange man.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
Seven minutes, 8 seconds. He obviously couldnt do it from the start, what a pussy.[/quote]

What a pussy? You’re fucking joking right? I think he sailed through the first 6 minutes…But he never should have done the hand cuffs and chains. He looked like he could have passed 9 easily if he didn’t mess around with the chains.

One another note…Did anyone see that trick on the street where he took some chicks teeth out!!! That’s friggin’ crazy shit.

The World record for static apnea is 8m58s, held by Tom Sietas:

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2006/05/08/1146940460019.html

Of course, it’s easier to hold your breath while static than while trying to free yourself from some chains, so 7m08s isn’t too shabby, certainly more than I would be capable of. It would’ve been more spectacular if he’d actually freed himself, but a man’s gotta breathe.

I wonder if he gets a bonus if he completes the stunts…

I agree, the chains were unnecessary. I couldn’t believe the trick he did with the girl’s teeth either. Also when he was in the prison, and he bent the bars. Crazy stuff.

Let me just assume everything he does is genuine (these days, you have to make sure some one is not a fraud before you can start believing them, lol), the thing that really boggles and amazes me is he’s MIND. He seems to be able to meditate deeply at will and simply just staying “in the moment”. This is the only explanation I have for the stunts that he pulls off. He simply “do”, stays in the moment, and apply intense focus on the task at hand. This really shows me the immense and incredible potential that we possess. He chooses to manifest this ability in the stunts that he performs, we can choose to apply it to other areas in our lives. This is what I get out of from watching what he does, just my 2 cents.

Yes, my ‘what a pussy’ comment was supposed to be said with extreme sarcasm.

7 minutes 8 seconds is a fuckload longer than I can hold my breath, and ridiculously impressive anyway.

He’s an illusionist.
His tricks are illusions.
Could this be any more obvious?

[quote]martin weston wrote:
He’s an illusionist.
His tricks are illusions.
Could this be any more obvious?[/quote]

If his latest stunt was an illusion, why did he make himself fail?

He started as an illusionist, but has become more interested in feats of endurance as his career has progressed.

I think he is interesting. I certainly don’t idol worship him, but I think he pushes the boundaries of what is possible, and that is cool.