Can Anyone Read a Spine MRI ?

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
I don’t mean to be cryptic, I just don’t want to worry the OP unnecessarily.
[/quote]

Well, that is worse than just coming out with it :wink: I assume you mean ankylosing spondylitis. I had a pillow under my knees when the MRI was taken, so there may have been some flexion.

Sometimes they look like that, but what I do in these is see if conservative treatment works first, then if it does, the MRI isn’t an issue. I actually have some from old falls, butt hat was diagnosed from X ray. It’s no big deal.

Most of my back issues resolve with rest, muscle work, and adjustments. Actually, all of them do.

Thanks again for your advice, BBB.

I suggest you purchase one of Stuart McGills’ excellent books so that you may gain further insight into your condition and ‘get empowered’ - a valuable psychological tool.

[/quote]

I got both of them a couple of weeks back, and have already found them helpful. I also got the Australians (Rishardson/Hodges/Hinds), which are also instructive. I have found a little confusing that they disagree on certain things, like bracing. I am still digesting it all.

I bet you do well with the ladies :slight_smile:

Funny that you mention that. Yes, AFAIK amitriptyline counteracts central sensitization that underlies chronic pain conditions. I have been on low-dose amitriptyline from since before the back injury, for long-standing scapulothoracic bursitis pain. So it is difficult to say if it made any difference to the back pain. A week ago, though, I started a higher dose. We’ll see how it goes.

Some fish oil, Vit D, lots of ibuprofen. I am skinny, especially after losing lots of muscle mass due to interference of injuries with workouts.

Thanks again!

Are there likely to be herniations? IMO yes, because you don’t usually get a marked loss of signal (water) in two discs without some reason for it. Posterolateral herniations are more common than central herniations, for sound engineering reasons, i.e. the tighter radius curve of the posterior corner of the kidney-shaped disc creates an area of weakness, for the fluid pressure to exploit.

[/quote]
what?
you need to google disk desiccation.
the “reason” for his desiccation isnt a herniation.

Both of the dark/low signal IVDs display a mild loss of disc height, which is congruent with nuclear herniation/protrusion/extrusion.
[/quote]

dear fucking god somebody shut this guy up.

Seems BB’s been right in all his assumptions about symptoms and almost every suggestion he’s given has already been prescribed to the OP by a doc who isn’t using the Interwebz to diagnose him.

You on the other hand dropped an F bomb and suggested google.

Way to fucking go doc.

[quote]urbanski wrote:
bushidobadboy wrote:

Both of the dark/low signal IVDs display a mild loss of disc height, which is congruent with nuclear herniation/protrusion/extrusion.

dear fucking god somebody shut this guy up. [/quote]

By “this guy” I hope you mean yourself. What’s wrong, are the big words scaring you?

[quote]urbanski wrote:
bushidobadboy wrote:

Grabs popcorn
This should be good.

[quote]urbanski wrote:
bushidobadboy wrote:

Soooo…your medical credentials include what exactly???

BBB is awesome and has helped more people here then you can imagine. If you disagree with his assessment, feel free to offer your opinion. I’m sure BBB would be open to a lively discussion. But, telling someone to google a certain condition isn’t going to help anyone and only makes you look a jackass.

[quote]jahall wrote:
urbanski wrote:
bushidobadboy wrote:

Grabs popcorn
This should be good.[/quote]

LOL

my money is on bushidobadboy

Here is a post surgery shot time lapse about 11-12 years post surgery, showing a bit more herniation after the rupture was removed in 1994.

From your shots you look pretty good comparatively.

I’m a practicing chiropractor and have no problem with what BBB wrote. In fact, he wrote a post about some additional stuff right before my post earlier in the thread. I’m not sure if he’s out of school yet, but I’ve been doing this 20 years, btw.

[quote]MementoMori wrote:
Seems BB’s been right in all his assumptions about symptoms and almost every suggestion he’s given has already been prescribed to the OP by a doc who isn’t using the Interwebz to diagnose him.

You on the other hand dropped an F bomb and suggested google.

Way to fucking go doc.[/quote]oh man

please go read “bbb’s” theory about somebody’s shoulder MR in Alpha. he took one coronal T1 shot and noted the humeral head was misaligned with the glenoid fossa. then attributed that to something about deltoid instability. oh, and the “lack of contrast” in the joint supported his theory, while he questioned lack of “stress” MRI views.
its “almost” just enough jargon to fool somebody into believing him, which is why he’s so pathetic. throw in big words you heard on ER one day and bam, you’re an internet superhero.

truth is…it was a non-contrasted study. that’s the normal relationship of the GH joint. Poor guy had a torn labrum which is not the cause of GH instability. Nor is anything “deltoid” the cause of instability. he should have googled the cause of instability before attempting to post.

oh and i told him to google disk desiccation, which is the cause of the lack of T1 signal at L5 and S1…a disk herniation is NOT the “cause” of the signal loss. Desiccation is…hence my sending him for an education. I could have asked him to buy an Orthopedics textbook but that costs money.

[quote]Testy1 wrote:
urbanski wrote:
bushidobadboy wrote:

By “this guy” I hope you mean yourself. What’s wrong, are the big words scaring you?[/quote]
hey sweetheart, not even you scare me. what scares me is the advice being given out in this thread.

is it not a disservice to spout nonsense and pretend to be knowledgeable, while pulling shit out of your ass to make yourself look good?

note i have not (yet) given any advice , i’m still digesting the crap. give me time.

[quote]JN7844 wrote:
urbanski wrote:
bushidobadboy wrote:

Soooo…your medical credentials include what exactly???

BBB is awesome and has helped more people here then you can imagine. If you disagree with his assessment, feel free to offer your opinion. I’m sure BBB would be open to a lively discussion. But, telling someone to google a certain condition isn’t going to help anyone and only makes you look a jackass.[/quote]

what if the condition i sent him to research IS THE PROBLEM on the study. And the only problem.
And his conjecture that a simple entity (which by the way, you have it too…so do i…welcome to being over 25) such as desiccation “which is congruent with nuclear herniation/protrusion/extrusion.” is horribly false and misleading.

what if the OP went and looked up disk desiccation and realized what it entails, what the consequences are, and what finding it DOES and DOES NOT mean to his health? is that not a service?

see, you all bought into it didnt you? bb’s first post threw out “give me sagittal’s instead of axials” and you all thought cool, he’s on it.
trouble it, the axials are where you determine severity and location of canal and neural foraminal stenosis. sag’s are supplementary and are not the primary tool for diagnosing disk protrustions. they’re good for where the conus ends, disk heights, and facet joints. but the basic fundamental flaw in his “reading” was asking for the wrong view from the start.

hey if i look like a jackass, fine. but then again, i work for a living and cant be here 24/7 to argue. let me go read some more…if i can handle it without being sick

[quote]Spud wrote:
jahall wrote:
urbanski wrote:
bushidobadboy wrote:

Grabs popcorn
This should be good.

LOL

my money is on bushidobadboy

[/quote]ok, bbb said this too “Are there likely to be herniations? IMO yes, because you don’t usually get a marked loss of signal (water) in two discs without some reason for it.”

you guys dont get it. jumping from simple desiccation to 100% certainty of a herniation (by the way the proper term is protrusion)is in fact false, and could send the poor OP to a neurosurgeon with no need.

and since you’re all convinced he’s magically psychic with “predicting symptoms” of the OP, you all should google mechanical back pain. (yeah there i go with google again). hey, i’ll link you to a good medscape art

[quote]tom63 wrote:
I’m a practicing chiropractor and have no problem with what BBB wrote. In fact, he wrote a post about some additional stuff right before my post earlier in the thread. I’m not sure if he’s out of school yet, but I’ve been doing this 20 years, btw.[/quote]

let’s all note this.

let me highlight the paraprofessional agreeing with complete utter nonsense put forth here.

are you too agreeing that:

1. sagittals are how you see protrusions?
  2. under 25 year olds normally have lack of disk hydration signal?
  3. such lack of signal implies a protrusion is guaranteed to be there?
  4. you should chide somebody for disgnosting lack of protrustion based on limited MRI views and hope they are not in the healthcare field, while doing the same yourself?
  5. there is such as thing as “facet ligament capsule sprain”
  6. that you can diagnose “the ‘damage’ to the end-plates” but yet never see T2 sagittal views
  7. amitryptiline is the recommended treatment here?