T Nation

Camp Boom Boom!

No, you pervs’. It’s a camp about all-things-explosive.

http://distance.umr.edu/NonCredit/PreCollege/2007_Explosives_Camp.html

Take a look at the brochure!

http://distance.umr.edu/files/pdf/2007_ExplosivesBrochure.pdf

Now, imagine for a second the outrage that’d have ensued had it been in Iran. Can you picture it?

Freedom hater!

Can Islamic students enroll?

[quote]lixy wrote:

Now, imagine for a second the outrage that’d have ensued had it been in Iran. Can you picture it?[/quote]

Yeah, we discussed this topic at the most recent AAAIBAU (Americans Against Any Iranians Blowing Anything Up) meeting last week. There were even some pretty persuasive arguments as to why we even let the A-rabs have fire let alone blow anything up. I’ll see if I can find an electronic copy of the minutes to send to you. Please hold your breath.

If you get bored, I’m sure you can construct some straw men. Just quit foisting them on us to knock down for you.

Why would anyone care that a bunch of non-barbarians are enrolling to learn how to handle explosives?

I couldn’t find “Using Explosives as Fashionable Dress Garments” anywhere in the brochure. Is that the part we’re supposed to be upset about? Or is it because these guys won’t be having a graduation ceremony where the students are excited about using their new skills against “jews and infidels”?

[quote]MrRezister wrote:
I couldn’t find “Using Explosives as Fashionable Dress Garments” anywhere in the brochure. Is that the part we’re supposed to be upset about? Or is it because these guys won’t be having a graduation ceremony where the students are excited about using their new skills against “jews and infidels”?[/quote]

You’re confusing Iran with Gaza.

[quote]lixy wrote:
MrRezister wrote:
I couldn’t find “Using Explosives as Fashionable Dress Garments” anywhere in the brochure. Is that the part we’re supposed to be upset about? Or is it because these guys won’t be having a graduation ceremony where the students are excited about using their new skills against “jews and infidels”?

You’re confusing Iran with Gaza.[/quote]

And you’re confusing education about demolitions with munitions training.

And then you’ve confused organized military munitions training with guerilla (If they even fit that definition) improvised explosives training.

[b]And then[/b] you’ve confused Americans’ outrage over guerilla IED tactics that can be not-so-tacitly linked to Iran with a mythical American outrage about anybody in the Middle East blowing up anything…for any reason.

I could go on but it’s blatantly obvious who’s more confused.

If you’ll excuse me, I need to go set off some more “illegal” fireworks to celebrate my nations’ independence.

[quote]lucasa wrote:

And then you’ve confused organized military munitions training with guerilla (If they even fit that definition) improvised explosives training.

[b]And then[/b] you’ve confused Americans’ outrage over guerilla IED tactics that can be not-so-tacitly linked to Iran with a mythical American outrage about anybody in the Middle East blowing up anything…for any reason.

If you’ll excuse me, I need to go set off some more “illegal” fireworks to celebrate my nations’ independence.[/quote]

No sir, I didn’t.

My assertion was that if the exact same crash course was to be offered by the University of Tehran, the American media would quickly present it as a “terrorist camp”.

[quote]lucasa wrote:

If you’ll excuse me, I need to go set off some more “illegal” fireworks to celebrate my nations’ independence.[/quote]

And the program looked to be largely a training for wannabe engineers who will use demolition in their line of work.

Perhaps that is what confused Lixy - that in our schools in our part of the world, we teach “engineering” and our education is not limited to majoring in “whether or not women can wear toenail polish or not”.

[quote]lixy wrote:
No, you pervs’. It’s a camp about all-things-explosive.

http://distance.umr.edu/NonCredit/PreCollege/2007_Explosives_Camp.html

Take a look at the brochure!

http://distance.umr.edu/files/pdf/2007_ExplosivesBrochure.pdf

Now, imagine for a second the outrage that’d have ensued had it been in Iran. Can you picture it?[/quote]

Lixy, it’s not so much the course, but the mindset of the folks that take the course. I’d like to think they’ll screen out / not admit the (“deeply religious”) applicants from trouble spots in the world. Like we are doing for future flight school students who just happen to have a few too many stamps of Egypt & Saudi Arabia in their passport. Lessons learned from 9/11.

Before last week and what transpired in the UK, who would have thought we’d have to take an extra look at the doctors coming to, or already in the US…

It’s called being vigilant.

You shouldn’t be running a day camp for kids like that. People will get suspicious. I ain’t gona let you “rear” my child, that’s for sure!

Let’s all pretend that it’s in Iran so that we can get real mad.

[quote]Nominal Prospect wrote:
Let’s all pretend that it’s in Iran so that we can get real mad.[/quote]

Pfft, why? Their explosives are found in dead donkeys, market squares, buried in roads, etc. throughout Iraq. Not to mention their use in killing NATO soldiers. It’s not like we have to pretend.

I don’t think we’re worried about legitimate explosive-demo industry related courses, by the way.

[quote]lixy wrote:
lucasa wrote:

If you’ll excuse me, I need to go set off some more “illegal” fireworks to celebrate my nations’ independence.

No sir, I didn’t.

My assertion was that if the exact same crash course was to be offered by the University of Tehran, the American media would quickly present it as a “terrorist camp”.[/quote]

I’m pretty sure engineering/demo students receive such courses in Iran. It’s hard to imagine they wouldn’t. Is this not true? If they do have such courses, do you have any links for your assertion about University level courses coming under fire?

I’m pretty sure it’s the type of explosives ending up in Iraq and Afghanistan that are focused on.

[quote]vroom wrote:
Can Islamic students enroll?[/quote]

I don’t see anything disqualifying them within the literature. And, it would be illegal to do so, just because their muslim. Now, maybe if they were a Boy Scout…just joking!

[quote]lixy wrote:
No, you pervs’. It’s a camp about all-things-explosive.[/quote]

Sounds like a blast.

Outrage? You bet. How dare they take the Improvised out of IED!

[quote]vroom wrote:

Unfortunately, all the explosives used in the course are made from pork-derived products.

It makes for some really pig explosions.

(I know, I know… I’m going away now…)

[quote]pookie wrote:
(I know, I know… I’m going away now…)
[/quote]

Forever?

[quote]vroom wrote:

Nope, you have to be 16. That’s to late for most jihadists.